STALLION OWNERS AI QUESTION

the watcher

Visit site
A bit off the wall maybe, but having looked at a couple of stallions over the last week or so, maybe you can explain this.

Let us say, for example that I tell you I have 3 mares, and I like the look of your up and coming young stallion for them, and ask for frozen semen..and I gather that here is often enough to do 2 or more coverings in a batch..so you post it to me. What is to stop me simply storing this and gambling on whether your stallion progeny are going to increase in value, I could do this repeatedly with different stallions and then simply go ahead and use the samples with the highest market value some years down the line (or even sell those on at under their later higher market price).

Before anybody gets worried, I am not planning on storing anything unpleasant in my freezer at home amongst the ice cream and frozen peas and playing the stallion market. I am a strictly take the mare to the stud kind of girl!

I assume that somehow the sample is linked to a covering certificate?

sallyf

Visit site
Some studs will allow you to cover more than one mare if there is enough semen left over but usually what happens is that if you then get 2 mares in foal you will have to pay an extra fee to get a second covering certificate.
Other studs ask for the rest of the semen to be returned.
There is paperwork with the semen that stipulates it is for a certain mare and the inseminating vet should check it is the right one.

Anastasia

www.morayfirthstud.co.uk
As sallyf says nowadays you are sometimes only given enough for one mare and if you do get a second pregnancy with the extra dose you are expected to pay a second fee.

Whether you use the semen this year or down the line makes no difference. If you were to use one dose this year and the second in a few years time, you have to remember you still require a covering certificate from said stallion to make sure you foal has papers etc.
wink.gif

htobago

Visit site
sallyf and anastasia are quite right - and of course the foals would be pretty much worthless without covering certificates, as they could not be registered.

Sometimes, though, a very generous stallion owner might let you have a second breeding free using the remaining straw or straws (like '2 for the price of 1' offers in supermarkets, only much more posh, of course)!
wink.gif

seansheep

Visit site
I also think the attitude of the stallion owner would be influenced by the provenance of the mare

il.e. Headley Brittania - no problem - have a 2nd mare free ;-)

your local unsound done nothing and bad attitude mare - pay a 2nd fee !!

after all - a stallion is only as good as the progeny he produces and the mare quality and competition record has a fair old input into this.

I would say - each case on its merits

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
As above plus:- You cant store semen in a home freezer sadly, it's the liquid nitrogen job I'm afraid and can be quite costly. I've been quoted 400 to buy a container and 200per annum to top it up every 6 weeks, though I think it holds quite a lot of straws, more than I need so I'm better off just paying for storage.

htobago

Visit site
Very good point seansheep!

I have given discounts and concessions like that for 'special' mares (the show-Arab equivalents of Headley Britannia lol)...

....but there are sometimes other less obvious factors as well, such as whether the breeder in question will show the foals, and also whether I know it will be a really good, loving, long-term home...

htobago

Visit site
I think AndyPandy on here is developing some sort of home-freezing kit??? So maybe in future it will be easier.

For now I'm happy with Twemlows storing my boy's frozen semen.
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As sallyf says nowadays you are sometimes only given enough for one mare and if you do get a second pregnancy with the extra dose you are expected to pay a second fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Often its reduced slightly though.

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As above plus:- You cant store semen in a home freezer sadly, it's the liquid nitrogen job I'm afraid and can be quite costly. I've been quoted 400 to buy a container and 200per annum to top it up every 6 weeks, though I think it holds quite a lot of straws, more than I need so I'm better off just paying for storage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't seriously think you could
wink.gif
smile.gif