stallion size?

wendygood

Visit site
Im thinking of putting my 13.2 welsh pony in foal this spring she has already had a foal with a 14 hand connie last year.Ijust wondered what was the max size of a stallion i could put her to?any ideas on this or a stallion!

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
It depends what you want to achieve really but my suggestion would be a very nice 14.2 jumping pony stallion (but then i'm bias!)
My friend has covered her 13.2 with her 16h Arab without hitch many times but I personally would go 14.2-15h, get a nice 14-14.2 pony!
This is only my opinion though.

MillionDollar

Visit site
My two 13.2 mares are in-foal to a 16hh WB. This was through AI though.

If you go through AI I'd say up to 16.2, but naturally only 15.2. The foal will only grow to the size that the mare can cope with (in the uterus) and as long as she doesn't have a very narrow pelvis should be fine.

GTs

Visit site
If you go much larger you should be concerned about the conformation of the foal, and many people will say although the fetus will not grow bigger than the mare can handle they have a high chance of complications.

Tia

Visit site
My little 12.2hh pony was pasture bred by my 15hh stallion and is due to foal in 8 days. I am hoping for a 14hh pony from these two.

I bred a 13.1hh Arab pony of mine to a 16.3hh eventer a few years ago and she had a colt who grew to being a big stocky 15.3hh. She was AI'd.

vieshot

Visit site
Id be careful, ive heard horrible stories about mares being bred to stallions that are too big. Id be looking at 14.3 max. Breed her to a nice new forest stallion.
xxx

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Depends on what you want, and what confirmation your mare has. Check out the horsedeals website there are a whole load in there. Also H&H are going to be doing stallion features. I am loath to put any links of photo's because someone went out of their way to contact the stallion owner the last time I did that. Mind you he did not give a hoot, all good publicity at the end of the day!

amandaco2

Visit site
i wouldnt go a hand bigger than the mare esp if she is fine its her first and if the stallion is a god bit chunkier
they are more likely to get foaling complications if they have a foal who is big(which is obviously far far more likely with one by a mjuch bigger stallion!) AND they can struggle to feed the darned thing if they can get it out.

Eceni

Visit site
Why not go to a Connemara again? They're cracking sports ponies and most of them have good temperaments (I've been warned to steer clear of the 'Atlantic' line, but even then, some of them are good)

The obvious alternative would be one of the smaller Anglo Arabs - Welsh/Arab has always been a good cross for the better child riders or small adults wanting a good all-rounder

Unless you're breeding for yourself, you want to carefully consider the market you're aiming at - who's going to buy your foal and for what? It has 20 years of active life ahead - what is it going to be good at?

Go for a stallion with impeccable temperament and conformation. the rest will follow

E