Stallion suggestions for Animo mare

danni3

Visit site
I wasn't going to put this mare in foal this year but typical me I've changed my mind when it's almost too late as she's in season now so I've missed this month.

Doesn't help that I have no clue what stallion to put her to so could do with some help please!!

She's a 15.3hh warmblood by Animo, she's a very athletic yet well built horse, I would like to keep a similar build so prefer not to put her to a TB, but would want to add a little height to her.

She is a very sweet mare in the stable, maybe a little stubborn sometimes but never nasty my kids groom her, however under saddle she is quite sharp and can be difficult at times. I think this side of her could be the Animo line, I've heard a lot of his offspring can be difficult under saddle but not sure how true that is!

I'm not sure if I want to keep the foal or not, guess it depends on what my other mares foal turns out like when she has it.

If I keep it it would be for show jumping, poss some eventing but I'm not a huge fan of dressage so the jumping side of things is more for me.

I will try get a picture on when I'm on laptop later, using my phone at minute.

I have a budget of £800 for the stud fee and would be looking for AI at home as I can't separate her from my other mare who panics when she's gone.

I have a couple I like but I'm new to breeding so don't know a great deal about the good stallions out there!

Thankyou!!

wigum

Visit site
The best offspring out of an animo mare that i can think of is Billy congo, he is by the Voltaire son Vechta out of an animo mare.

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=uSxlrT&d=billy+congo&x=0&y=0

I know that Ballyshanhorses have bred their Animo mare to another Voltaire son Lancelot and they have a snap of the offspring below.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=9728213#post9728213

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=313997

You might want to think about adding some Voltaire blood, if you find one of his descendants that suits all the mares needs and ticks all your own requirements it may be worth a shot.

Escada2004

Visit site
Definately something calm as like you say a lot of Animo's are sharp, i know a few and they all are, although i love Animo, i but a mare of mine to him when she did a tendon but she absorbed :( Super Trooper is very calm and a nice build and bigger, however ther is only very limited semen as he has just been sold to the USA :/

Shabby_Chic

Visit site
I have an animo mare (slight screw loose when she's jumping but not sharp and a dream to handle (unless you include the 'up in the air and running backwards at speed' scenario when she sees something utterly terrifying - usually a leaf ;) ) - thinking i got lucky!).
She has a colt foal to Primitive Proposal before I got her and the last time I saw it at 6 months'ish it was looking very nice - definite sports horse model. Although PP is a TB which isn't what you're after when I was working at an event yard they put 3 of their mares to his sire Primitive Rising quite a few years on the trot and the horses he produced were simply fantastic! One of the mares kept throwing 17hh+ beasties but all were 'sturdy', definitely not TB 'type', far more WB looking than my WB! (should probably mention the dams were all 16hh max TBs).

Good luck!

sport horse

Visit site
Donal Barnwell of Billy Stud loves Animo on the dam side and you could do a lot worse than ask his advice - they have several stallions at stud this season. www.thebillystud.co.uk

If you want to use Voltaire blood the young stallion, Voss, is a direct son of Voltaire and jumped clear in his first Nations Cup in Copenhagen recently. www.vossstallion.com

BallyshanHorses

www.ballyshanhorses.webs.com
The oldest that we have out of our Animo mare is a three year old by Cobra(Carthago Z X Langraf) and she has the best temperament.I think stallion temperament is key when you are dealing with the likes of offspring from Animo even though they are highly talented they still need that calming effect from the stallion and Cobra has done just that for us.She also has a very nice filly by Lancelot and as wigum has said it has worked well for the billy stud although we never linked these when we used him.:(
Dont think that Lancelot would suit your mare but I do think that Cobra would.He stands at Lissava Stud but you should be able to get him chilled I think in the UK.

http://www.lissavastud.com/

danni3

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the links. I'm on my phone at minute but I'll have a look at them all once im on my laptop.

My TB who is due any day now was covered by a stallion with Voltaire lines (Gt Grandsire) so looking forward to seeing this foal when it arrives!