stallions - DIY livery yards?

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Don't know! I think so, if the owner likes the yard etc

Potentially. I've been told he won't be going out until after winter anyway (poor boy). Which defers the main concern for turn out for a while.

I'm away on holiday this wk and worried about it! I've told the YO that they must notify my friend who is seeing to mine if they change their minds and decide to turn him out so mine can come in... I'd rather she was safe and sound and in, than out with a potential problem when I'm away!

just argh to all of this-people shouldnt have stallions if they cannot provide facilities for them to live a natural life with turnout and company(doesn't have to be same field for safety, but horses nearby they can see).

head/wall :(

Scarlett

Visit site
I shared a yard with a girl who had two stallions. She was super vigilant and the yard was set up so they were turned out behind 2 lots of post and rail at the opposite end of the property, however we shared an American barn. The stallions were beautifully behaved and correctly handled, they never caused a problem. However.... My mare both jumped out her field - 5ft gate - and out over her stable door to get to the stallion.

I don't think the effect the presence of a stallion can have on mares should be under estimated, it's not just the stallion that can go through/over fences or misbehave!

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
We have stallion pens at our yard and the fencing is about 8 foot tall (same with the outdoor school) and they cant get through that.

Hope you find a solution dollymix :)

dollymix

Visit site
just argh to all of this-people shouldnt have stallions if they cannot provide facilities for them to live a natural life with turnout and company(doesn't have to be same field for safety, but horses nearby they can see).

head/wall :(
I agree as it happens - hence why I don't have a stallion (I did have one on loan and he had turnout alongside a herd of mini Shetland geldings, who he used to 'play' with over the fence)

I suppose I am lucky that I have a mare - just feel like the I am potentially going to have to make the choice to move her from a yard we are happy on just 'in case' there is the issue - I am not happy to live on a 'it might never happen' scenario

Potato!

Visit site
I trust my lad to stay put behind a single strand of electric fencing if it is on, it's the girls I wouldn't trust in his presence. So it depends on the stallion.

My old mare was the problem, not the stallion on the yard. He was extremely well mannered and never ever looked to break into her field. The mare however would try to get to him however possible even when it resulted her getting stuck on the fence and having to be cut free.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
can you all(liveries) get together and speak with the owner and YO (politely) and perhaps voice it as *getting the post and rail paddock double fenced with electric asap would be to everyones benefit as then pony can go out straight away* maybe some of you could offer to help her set the elec posts and tape up? i think its one of those instances where she should be on it asap but a gentle poke and some help will just get it done quicker so you can relax?

as a stallion owner i appreciate it can seem daunting but pretending everything will be ok is NOT a safe approach!