Stallions passing on their looks..

wynnwith

Visit site
May be stupid question but do some stallions have more of a tendency to pass on their own looks/conformation to offspring? Or is it completely pot luck? I have 3 filly's now out of the same mare, all by different stallions - two look just like mum (one by inshallah ii, one by a coloured stallion lucky dealer ) the other one is a spitting image of her dad RID hillview farm Milligan? Is this just chance or is it possible that Milligan does tend to throw "mini me's" I apologise in advance for the stupid question but had to ask!!

eventrider23

Visit site
Same as with people a foal can end up looking a mixture....like one parent...or nothing at all alike. Some breeds are very prepotent like the Arab and Trakehner and so these stallions will generally have foals much more like themselves. For example, the arab stallion H Tobago throws foals soo much like himself from almost any mare that people joke that they are clones.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Archie babies stand out a mile, the majority of them are the spit of him.

The only things my filly has taken from her mum is a beard and a touch too much feather, but type/stamp/movement she is her fathers daughter to a tee.

not_with_it

Visit site
I have a benetton dream baby that is nothing like her mum.
a friend also has a youngster by him and him and dix could b twins. They even have the same markings.

So yes, some horses do tend to stamp their stock more than others.

imafluffybunny

Visit site
I think some stallions def stamp their foals more than others. I have a mare who is the spit of her sire but nothing like her dam, her brother and sister are identical and look just like their dam. All are by different stallions.

Four Seasons

Visit site
My two year old has a typical "Vivaldi" head. Very elegant. About 80% of Vivaldi's offspring have very elegant heads. He really puts a stamp on his offspring. So it's very much possible.

Dizzle

Visit site
I don't know what mine's dam looks like but my horse has the colouring of her sire, mixed with the cuteness of his own! According to a friend's mum who saw his sire at stud in Newmarket he was under 15hh!

oldywoldy

Visit site
A good stallion should always stamp his stock consistently. Looks, stamp, movement, temperament - some do a lot more than others!