Stallions to improve neck/head

minmax

Visit site
I have a mare who needs improvement in front. WB by Gribaldi, has a plain head.. any ideas?
I have a few choices but interested to see any others. Needs to be a compact stallion under 16,3..

PolarSkye

Visit site
I'm a bit confused . . . I'm assuming you want to breed from her and she's lacking movement/expression in front? Is that what you're saying?

The plainness (or not) of her head should have nothing to do with how well she moves. And if she doesn't move well in front, why would you breed from her?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick - perhaps more clarity is needed.

P

minmax

Visit site
I'm a bit confused . . . I'm assuming you want to breed from her and she's lacking movement/expression in front? Is that what you're saying?

The plainness (or not) of her head should have nothing to do with how well she moves. And if she doesn't move well in front, why would you breed from her?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick - perhaps more clarity is needed.

P
Sorry, what I meant is she could do with something with a good neck. Has very good movement, so athletically I'm looking to improve the offspring. Ie, something "built on the bit"

Kathy657

Visit site
I would think that 99% of German dressage bred stallions would fit the bill. They all have pretty heads, good necks and built uphill. Go onto breed society websites such as Oldenburg etc. They often have video links to foal and horse auctions. You can then get an idea of what type certain stallions throw.

Spiderman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Amour G, who is KWPN reg and graded WBS_UK, has the most elegant front and neat head. He passes both these on to his foals. He also has an excellent sloping shoulder which gives him great expression in his paces. I have photos of some of his youngsters, coloured and plain, which show his influence if you're interested.

minmax

Visit site
I am aiming for a dressage foal, depending on what it is will depend on me keeping it. Have a few stallions in mind just wanted to see if anyone had any they know stamp well. There may be one I hadn't thought of..

Alec Swan

Visit site
I would be most surprised if there's any stallion born which can, with any degree of certainty, improve any one specific aspect of a future foal. Consider a mare with weak hocks; would any stallion which has particularly strong hocks be able to improve upon the mare? Highly unlikely, I'd say.

Alec.

Kathy657

Visit site
I would be most surprised if there's any stallion born which can, with any degree of certainty, improve any one specific aspect of a future foal. Consider a mare with weak hocks; would any stallion which has particularly strong hocks be able to improve upon the mare? Highly unlikely, I'd say.

Alec.

You must agree Alec, that some stallions stamp their stock more than others. The OP maybe should take this into consideration when selecting a stallion.
However I have to say, a pretty head would not be my main reason for selecting a stallion. Temperament, train ability, conformation etc are more important to me.

minmax

Visit site
Thankyou Kathy657, yes, I am looking for a certain stamp, with train ability as that's important for dressage, with a nice temperament, confirmation etc.., there are stallions out there with these qualities & stamp their offspring too.
I only asked on here on the off chance someone had personal experiences.
Breeding is not new to me, just wondered if anyone had anything they thought would fit the bill.... probably won't bother on here in future.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
I think people were just misinterpreting your post as you were just looking for a pretty head in a stallion, rather than great conformation, trainability, performance etc with the bonus of passing on a good neck and pretty head.
There are some stallions that generally pass on a plainer head, such as Hotline. All his stock seem to have same profiles.

UK based stallions that I would consider when breeding for a higher level dressage prospect who also have a lovely head/neck include Garuda K (Grand Prix), never seen a foal from him that wasn't attractive.
Holme Park Kobalt is another Trakehner but much younger, but his foal crop all inherited their sires very attractive head.

Suzanne Lavendera at Keystone Stud in Sussex has a very modern and attractive son of Furstenball called Furst Flamenco. Again he is only a youngster but that sire line is known for giving a lovely neck set and very attractive head and Suzanne has a bit of a knack with discovering great stallion (like Dimaggio)

GemG

Visit site
Thankyou Kathy657, yes, I am looking for a certain stamp, with train ability as that's important for dressage, with a nice temperament, confirmation etc.., there are stallions out there with these qualities & stamp their offspring too.
I only asked on here on the off chance someone had personal experiences.
Breeding is not new to me, just wondered if anyone had anything they thought would fit the bill.... probably won't bother on here in future.

Don't be disheartened, I completely 'get' what your after here. Unfortunately I can't offer you any recommendations re a stallion. But I had similar thoughts when I chose a lease mare for our stallion (for a one off foal to keep) - I needed something that didn't have a 'common' face (sorry for expression, but you know what I mean) or passed on that sort of face, as our boy is handsome, but I wouldn't say 'pretty' :p

Thus was in addition to

Temperament, trainability for amateur, general conform/movement.

Good luck in your search!

Lgd

Visit site
If you want to stay KWPN look at Mooiman who stands in lancs at Holdenfold
Competed to international GP with his owner and it was her first time at GP and she trained him herself.
He's a compact 16.2hh and puts both a good motor on them and a good front end.
I've bred three by him, all nice heads and outstanding temperament and movement. I've kept one entire and hope to grade him once he's showing he's going to be a good competition horse. (He's not long been backed).
First one was reserve champion at her keuring, stallion got a high first premium at the futurity and a 9.25 for his walk.
Sadly lost number three at 10 weeks old but she was as good if not better.