Stamping & banging in trailer

Joyous70

Visit site
I have posted previously about my young mare not being the best loader, I have been working on this and trying to keep journeys local to get her used to getting out and about, however, she has major issues when we are stopped either at lights, junctions, and driveways to access yards etc., to the point people on the yard can actually hear us due to all her banging and stamping around. Im not sure if she is stamping from foot to foot, bucking or what she is doing but its seriously shredding my nerves, especially as she will do this if a large vehicle gets too close behind her as well, case in point Sunday I took her for a 20 minute ride to my instructors yard for a play, loaded fairly well, only took 10 minutes, travelled lovely, until I got onto the A45, we sat at a set of traffic lights, cue her starting to get agitated, so I try to rock the car a little until we can pull off, then all hell broke loose, the trailer was rocking and the noise was horrendous, it sounded like she was trying to kick the ramp down and I could feel the trailer pushing forwards onto my towbar, im at this point trying to navigate the 4 or 5 lane roundabout without wiping anyone out! when I notice a HUGE lorry appear in my left side mirror, it took a few seconds (felt like minutes) for her to settle again, but once I had pulled onto the drive at my instructors yard, she starts again when I get out of the car to activate the buzzer at the gate.

I honestly don't know if im doing the right thing by keep trying to get her out in short little blasts to get her used to this, obviously the lorries or larger vehicles are worrying her, but i can't avoid them getting too close, they do what they do, I have got some stickers on order asking people to stay back etc.,

I had my trailer serviced only last month, but am taking it into a coach builders at the weekend to see if they can replace the wooden floor with aluminium, or reinforce it in some way, as im terrified that with all her stamping she is actually going to put the floor through.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? and did it get any better?

I am supposed to be taking her out to an evening dressage tomorrow night, unfortunately i don't have anyone that can come with me, and im seriously considering not going as the thought of doing a 15 mile journey is freaking me out, i have checked out a route that i can do which is all single carriageway and B roads if i do go, but im still worried.

sorry for the essay, any suggestions, advice, calmers (for the driver) appreciated.

Michen

Visit site
My boy does this but not as badly. I spent a few days loading him and then making him wait on the trailer for a good half hour, unloading and back in the stable. I never drive straight off now when he's loaded and I try and wait a bit before unloading him too.

QuantockHills

Visit site
have you tried shutting the top of the rear trailer door, on the side she travels on? I know a few people who have to do this.... make sure you leave the other side open though.

Joyous70

Visit site
have you tried shutting the top of the rear trailer door, on the side she travels on? I know a few people who have to do this.... make sure you leave the other side open though.

Sadly my trailer only has a weather sheet that can be pulled down, and I think she would completely freak out if I pulled that down on her :(

Joyous70

Visit site
My boy does this but not as badly. I spent a few days loading him and then making him wait on the trailer for a good half hour, unloading and back in the stable. I never drive straight off now when he's loaded and I try and wait a bit before unloading him too.

Im going to have to start playing this game I think, because she does get really uptight if you don't drive off immediately or unload her immediately, she is getting better once loaded up, I can now at least change out of my boots before getting into the car, whereas a few months ago, all hell would break loose the minute you had walked away from the trailer, however, I can put her on, put her back bars up, leave her untied with the rear ramp down and she seems quite happy? however if I walk off im not sure it would be the same story.

Michen

Visit site
Well I think that's something you need to fix before you start taking her out and about. I think I left B on the trailer for 45 mins once (on the yard with no intention of actuslly driving anywhere) he stomped and banged and whined but hes much better now after that lesson!

Im going to have to start playing this game I think, because she does get really uptight if you don't drive off immediately or unload her immediately, she is getting better once loaded up, I can now at least change out of my boots before getting into the car, whereas a few months ago, all hell would break loose the minute you had walked away from the trailer, however, I can put her on, put her back bars up, leave her untied with the rear ramp down and she seems quite happy? however if I walk off im not sure it would be the same story.

Joyous70

Visit site
Well I think that's something you need to fix before you start taking her out and about. I think I left B on the trailer for 45 mins once (on the yard with no intention of actuslly driving anywhere) he stomped and banged and whined but hes much better now after that lesson!

I do worry how much stamping, banging etc., the trailer will actually take before she breaks it :(

anuvb

Visit site
Mine does this and it is a bit nerve wracking.

Your're doing the right things. We are getting her used to the trailer slowly, she's is better once is it moving. We're probably going to invest in a trailer cam set up too just to make sure that there aren't any acrobatics going on at the time.

Do you boot yours? And do you travel with hay? We found travelling without boots actually makes it better, she feels less constrained, and that a hay net helps too. We also make her stand on the trailer (initially with company) and some times load without actually going anywhere, or loading after she has been exercised so she is tired. The idea is to make is all as unexciting as possible for her so that when we stop at lights etc she doesn't think there is a party to go to.

Good luck

Joyous70

Visit site
Mine does this and it is a bit nerve wracking.

Your're doing the right things. We are getting her used to the trailer slowly, she's is better once is it moving. We're probably going to invest in a trailer cam set up too just to make sure that there aren't any acrobatics going on at the time.

Do you boot yours? And do you travel with hay? We found travelling without boots actually makes it better, she feels less constrained, and that a hay net helps too. We also make her stand on the trailer (initially with company) and some times load without actually going anywhere, or loading after she has been exercised so she is tired. The idea is to make is all as unexciting as possible for her so that when we stop at lights etc she doesn't think there is a party to go to.

Good luck

I did think about a camera, but I travel alone most of the time.

She only has her brushing boots on, as I think big travelling boots would make her worse and yes she has a nice big haynet and she can definitely reach it as I have checked.

I am definitely going to do some more work with her staying on the trailer, but not going anywhere.

Thank you :)

monte1

Visit site
My Boy does this, but strangely not really on the way to an event, he is pretty much fine stands and and looks about watches out the window, fidgets about and wants to get out immediately on arrival anywhere, but is happy to stand quietly then tied to trailer and is good as gold. but when we are done and ready to come home, he loads OK he starts stomping and creating and stressing out.( especially if we have to stop for a while for any reason, and it seems if he gets closer to home) it is very disconcerting and when i have to stop at lights or roundabouts etc you can hear him creating.
I too am wondering the best way to deal with it and whether to do lots short trips or just start loading him without going anywhere each evening so it doesn't become exciting.
with him i really think it is a tantrum, stress type thing- he gets impatient and kicks off.
wondering whether to give him some rescue remedy or calmer or something before we come home and see if that helps.

he doesn't do it when another horse is in with him!