Standing martingale 😯

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
So - madam has been a right madam lately during fast work - flinging head all over the place (not tack or teeth related) just fit giddy & loving life.
Running martingale not making enough of a difference & winding her up more I think - I was in danger of getting socked in the teeth so I put it on as a standing - loosely.
Well blow me down when I tried her in the school this evening (just to see how she reacted to it) she seemed to love it - really relaxed & took up contact herself without being asked - I'm thinking she found it reassuring somehow even though it wasn't actually coming into play 🤔

Obviously I'm not planning on using it as a schooling aid but I found it very interesting.

Last edited:

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Exactly - we might be of a similar age - I remember them being used more than running ones when I was a youngster 😉

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I remember them being quite common in the USA too. When did standing martingales become such a supposedly horrible thing?

I really don't know - maybe it's because they look "old fashioned" and some people & forgot how effective they were? 🤔

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think many horses are wound up by running martingales and usually they are fitted too tightly.

IME, often the horses go much better in a standing because the reins are not pulled by the rings so the contact is more direct, plus the rider dares ride forward and true, knowing that in times of need the standing is there.

I did my BHS stage 4 exam at the time when if you suggested running XC without a running martingale it was considered dangerous. I had to go fit a horse with one every time if I wanted to pass, weather the horse needed a martingale or not. Plus, a standing was considered dangerous for XC, as it was deemed that the horse could not use his head to recover.

I find it refreshing that nowadays many eventers have ditched the martingale altogether, largely down to Christopher Bartle, who had all the riders he trained take them off. It makes me think of all the old BHS examiners being shocked and appalled.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Same here. I had a horse who wouldn't jump unless she was in a standing martingale, when she didn't touch it.

And I was once asked by a shocked marshall in the collecting ring for a BE Novice cross country why I didn't have a martingale on my horse. One of your BHS trainers maybe, Red?

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I was at our local show on Sunday - awful to see so many badly fitted martingales - on kids ponies in particular - also no stops on reins on one in a WH class 😳

Reactions: TPO

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Good point about the contact Red - my mare can't bear the movement of a jointed bit so it really makes sense that the running martingale might be too "busy" for her - I don't school in a martingale - just use for hacking & fast work - would love to ditch it altogether but I fear for my face 😆

Horses (and marshalls) are funny old things ycbm that's for sure ☺️

Fanatical

Visit site
I am using one to great effect on a youngster currently. It has no action what-so-ever until it is needed (and then does the job brilliantly!). It has helped enormously and almost instantly stopped the head chucking which hopefully has saved me losing my nose and front teeth!
I hadn't used one for almost 20 years but they are a very under used tool in my opinion!

vhf

Visit site
I always start youngsters in one (quite loose)... I call it the "naughty boy/girl strap" as it only comes into use if their head is in a dangerous place - i.e. my face! Rarely use a running martingale but old enough to remember when you never jumped without one. Have heard the argument they're good for kids because it stops them socking the pony in the mouth with unsteady hands :eek: