Standing Martingale

jacquaranda

New User
Visit site
We have a big powerful heavyweight hunter type that is riden on his own and in company (2 or 3 hoses) in just a snaffle and ordinary caveson noseband. No martingales. We have not hunted him yet. He's never been any trouble until yesterday when we took him on a very busy charity ride. He became very uncontrollable when other horses passed him, particulary when they were cantering. As he became more excited, he started violently pulling his head forward, which unbalanced his rider and made her lose grip on the reins. He would then bound off until she collected the reins and stopped him again. He doesn't need a stronger bit - we can stop him, but we need to stop this violent pulling forward of his head for when he goes hunting. Note he pulls forward - not upwards. Is a standing martingale the right tool? can he jump in it? Is there something better I have not thought about. Help appreciated.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Set up correctly a standing martingale will not solve this problem, but does do useful things like stopping bloody noses from being walloped in the face by your horses neck

I suggest you think about something like a market harborough which would stop this problem.

Olliecp77

Visit site
Hmm yes I use a market harborough, only started with it, and they can't pull forward to tank off I've found because they are pulling against themselves I think. Mine broke after third use (think it got caught on something as we flew past??!!) so get a good quality one with strong clips on it. Good luck, not sure on standing martingale, never used myself

flyingfeet

Visit site
Fitted *correctly* you are completely incorrect about standing martingales and jumping

Hunterhorse.jpg

What you should have said is that they are out of fashion as in the case of a severe peck the horse has less chance of recovery

The sad fact is most people cannot or choose not to fit them correctly.

icemaiden113

Visit site
Fitted correctly and out hunting they are a danger! A young hunt horse of ours DID wear one until she couldn't make the ditch on sat and dropped backend in! If they are fitted incorrectly and left too long the serve no purpose anyway.

Spotsrock

Visit site
hunted and show jumped my mare in 1 as this is what she does, pulls forward and out, never had a problem, agree, they need to be fitted correctly.

See no problem if they are properly fitted and never had any problems, only criticism I received was from complete novices who have 'heard' they aren't safe.

my mare is now 29 and has NEVER had an accident in a standing, though she has fallen in a running martingale as she pulled her head forward and out and ended up way on the forehand going down hill.

Would think standing martingale may well solve your problem before the horse scares it's rider!

millitiger

Visit site
standing martingales are not a problem jumping if fitted correctly and i actually prefer to running ones as i don't like my contact being obscured.

however, in this case i don't think a standing martingale would help- you may need a stronger bit for 'exciting parties' as he is so big- better to have something a little sharp that he respects instead of hauling on a snaffle

jacquaranda

New User
Visit site
This is very useful information - thanks. Seems like a choice between a Standing Martingale and a Market Harborough. The first I've experience of - the second I've never used, but good to get the feedback from everyone on this post.

My own opinion is that its Running martingales that are badly misued and Standing martingales are largely misunderstood.