Standing wonky because of remedial shoes?

spacie1977

Visit site
My horse has recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hocks. The right being worse than the left. He's had anti inflammatory steroid injections in his hocks and his first set of remedial shoes (with lateral support) were put on a week ago. He seems much happier in himself and moving better whilst walking to and from the field (vet doesn't want him ridden yet). However I've notice he's started standing with his right toe turned outwards. Maybe I'm just imagining it as I'm a bit hypersensitive to the smallest thing at the moment, worrying his arthritis will get worse or something else will come up. But I'm wondering whether the lateral supports might have had an effect on the way he's standing. Has anyone else whose horse has lateral supports seen this change in them?

noblesteed

Visit site
Yeah mine's got bone spavin in both hocks and having steroid injections plus lateral extensions.
My vet and farrier worked together to make sure the lateral extensions are suitable. Farrier took a copy of horse's xrays to enable him to shoe appropriately. If your vet and farrier have done this correctly then you should have nothing to worry about but you need to make sure of this.
I did find the lateral extensions altered his movement pretty dramatically. My farrier helpfully explained that this is to put pressure on the right places in the hocks to enable fusion to speed up. He said initially horse would be a little more sore but after the injections had kicked in fully he would have no problems. This has proven to be the case.
From what I gather from my horse's xrays one hock is worse than the other which explained his uneven gait which led us to diagnosis of spavin. If your horse's arthritis is slightly different in each hock, which I would expect could be, then this may explain the uneven movement now.
But like I said if your vet and farrier have worked together they should be able to share this dialogue with you to put your mind at rest.