Stanhopes Diddicoy.......

fairyclare

Visit site
Tell me about him good or bad!

My mare is going to him as soon as we get the CEM certificate back from the lab and i just want everybodies views on this stallion.

Pictures of my mare can be viewed in the blog in my sig (i don't know how to post them on here!)
blush.gif

Thanks
grin.gif

eventingdiva

Visit site
I don't know an awful lot about him tbh, but for whats its worth i really like the look of him, i was thinking of putting my mare in foal to him this year x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'll probably be the only one who doesn't like him - or rather not what he produced to a very kind TB mare that had competed happily and regularly, even on RC teams. The mare was an angel to handle, was semi professionally owned (so owner not a mug!) and the resultant filly was the most evil bitch from day one you could ever come across; she'd go for you in the field, really meant it, that sort of thing and nothing would stop her. I wouldn't dream of having another SD that's for sure. Saying that, she is full of ability, is now being placed BSJA etc - but is still an evil old bag!
shocked.gif
The mare has had other youngsters by different stallions and they have all had her lovely nature so haven't a clue what went wrong with his?

Tia

Visit site
I have always liked him. He is a pleasant natured horse and has a good amount of presence. I haven't seen any of his offspring though so can't give you an account of that.

Definitely worth a look if you ask me; even though I am not a great coloured fan I do think he is a nicely put together horse; that and his nice personality could make desirable qualities.

airedale

Visit site
glad you posted that before I stuck my 2p in as I'm known for being anti-coloured horses - however I've heard the same - and also that the progeny aren't on balance as able as the sire in comparison to the ability shown by progeny from other stallions

SD got 'famous' 'cos he was a rare beast when he started covering - but there are a lot of coloured stallions out there now (if you really have to use one <sigh>)

Tia

Visit site
LOL @ Airedale.......gotta hand it to you; you do stand by your principles
wink.gif
smile.gif

airedale

Visit site
beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I just don't find them beautiful - tbh I find most of 'em downright ugly - but it's choice - but to go from another thread here we should be breeding GOOD horses, which means that we shouldn't be breeding merely cos it's got black, white and brown blotches !!

I happen to like chestnut mares..... ;-))

eventing_chick

Visit site
It's a horse that stood close to where i live.There are a lot of horses by him,However there has been very few horses i'v seen or heard of that look or act the part(and quite a lot of them bay!).
I think he is a really nice tallented horse..... But not a good stallion.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I happen to like chestnut mares.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think you and I have something in common then. Chestnuts, or sorrels as they are known over here, are by far my favourites.....that must be why I have so many of them
cool.gif

airedale

Visit site
dum de dum de dum

but he's earnt a LOT of dosh for his owner by being painted blotches and white

a brown/bay/grey would have been 'exposed' as a stallion a lot sooner

I STILL stand by my sig ;-))

tormor

Visit site
i know two foals out of diddicoy. First a bay filly and she is the most evil so and so going. Second is a coloured colt he is lovely and has a nice temperment. He tends to only throw coloured colts and fillys are often bay

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I agree that if he had been a solid colour I think he would have fallen out of favour by now - if he had ever been 'in'! Even before I knew this filly by him, I have to say he didn't strike me as one I would want to use at all even though I do happen to like some coloureds; (well I must do I've used one 5 times!) If Bazaars Texas had been a solid colour, I still would have had no hesitation in using him; you just have to look past the patches!

Tia

Visit site
I have noticed that you have changed the last sentence in your sig Airedale
wink.gif
. Much better I would say
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
Now obviously I have no probs with coloureds, as long as they are good horses!
grin.gif
However, I wouldnt use Diddicoy, he is a nice horse, but nothing special, and I agree he wouldnt be what he was if he wasnt coloured. Personally the type he throws arent my typ of horse, and even his promotional video didnt do anything for me (a friend was thinking of using him), I find him quite dull and have seen a couple of his offsring that do nothing for me.

DollyPentreath

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt use Diddicoy, he is a nice horse, but nothing special, and I agree he wouldnt be what he was if he wasnt coloured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I went to Hobgoblins open day this year and didn't think his movement (or much else) was anything special. Nice horse but I wouldn't put my mare to him..

Airedale, you and I are in utter, complete, agreement. I love your sig..
grin.gif
smirk.gif
wink.gif

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Hi I've always liked Diddecoy from the first moment I saw him at hickstead in the 3 year old coloured class (really showing my age now!)
I have always wanted to breed from him but have heard rumours that some of his foals have temperament issues.
My YO rode him at the Hobgoblins stud open day this year and wasn't overly impressed
frown.gif

I do think he's beautiful though......

amandaco2

Visit site
i am not that impressed with him as a breeding stallion.
i would want something outstanding to send a mare to.
not that he isnt a nice horse- but i wouldnt want to send my mare to something that was just 'nice'

SunSmile

Visit site
Interesting thread..
I have always loved Diddicoy and have seen him twice at Hobgoblins Stud open day but to be pefectly honest I was more impressed with his display last year than this year!
I sent my mare to him last season, because i was so impressed by him, unfortantly she never took in foal, although again being honest i think it was more her fault than his! I havent sent her back this season purely down to finance reasons, if i had the money then i would definatley used him again. He was a gentleman in the stable on every occasion that i saw him.
Now playing Devil's Advocate, I do think that with the amount of stock he has on the floor there are not many "superstars" who have shone through, so maybe if i was intending to bred a top class competition horse i would look else where, but has a stallion to use on a middle weight riding club hunter mare to produce something along the same lines, with hopefully a bit of colour thrown in i would definatley have Diddicoy at the top of my list!

fairyclare

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, it was very intresting to hear other peoples views on this stallion.
I am looking to breed a middle of the road type to do RC, bit of affilliated low level SJ, something to have from birth and bring on and enjoy, not looking for a world class competition horse

grin.gif

madlady

Visit site
I think his legs are weak but that aside I wouldn't use him on the temperament thing - I've met a couple of his offspring and they were evil - is it def a coloured you want - I really rate Shovern Phanten if you are after the competition type.

Ciss

Visit site
I think the thing you have to remember about Diddicoy is that he is actually almost exclusively jumper bred. The people who broke him in the UK told the owners that he had a tremendous loose jump and should go to a showjumping yard (they were dressage people themselves) but Lady S had bought him becuase she always wanted to own a coloured horse that could go to GP dressage so that's the direction he got sent in. Interestingly quite a few of his foals out of TB mares have done quite well in Eventing young horse classes (Angela Tucker rode a couple of them) so again that is an indication of where his real genotype talent lies. Sad he never got a chance to prove it in the sj arena.

CharlieB_87

www.equisales.co.uk
I have always loved Stanhopes Diddicoy and considered sending my old mare to him at one point.
I also tried a youngster that was by him and out of a TB x Connie - absolutely stunning stamp of a horse, wonderful paces, bold, scopey jump and fantastic work ethic although he was a bit of a grump on the ground. I was absolutely gutted when things didn't work out to buy him.
Since then i have seen a few lovely looking types by him for sale and i do always stop and look when i see his bloodlines cropping up. He is one i would also consider sending my current mare to should i be in the position to breed from her.
Saying this, i too am not after a world-beater horse, more a horse with correct conformation and the ability to perform at low levels in all spheres. Temperament is obviously an important factor though. However, there was no malice in the one that i tried - he just wasnt particularly interested in people and pulled a few faces. On the other hand he was very,very willing to please under saddle and for a youngster picked up things very quickly. He was also very safe and sane when i hacked him out alone/ in company and on the roads.