Started jumping on instinct alone, is that going to bite me as I progress?

jkitten

Visit site
(For background, as a child/teen I rode once a week at a riding school for 7 or 8 years and attained about the level you would expect from that, kind of competent riding school novice. I took it up again properly in November last year and since January having been sharing a horse at my riding school 3 days a week.)

I recently started jumping again and it turns out that it's still very ingrained in me from childhood (unlike many other things which I feel like I am learning from scratch!). The first time was entirely accidental, I was supposed to be trotting over a pole on the ground but my horse decided to have some 'fun' and took off with me instead, cantering up and jumping over it. I discovered that even though it was totally unplanned, I still knew exactly when to fold in order to stay with the horse and pull him up afterwards. Since then we've started proper jumping lessons and it turns out that this old instinct is still pretty reliable, even when my horse takes off like a freight train (he is lovely but can be a bit of a bugger) my body seems to know exactly when and how to move in order to stay with him. My instructor has even commented that he is impressed with my jump instinct and reaction speed, and I know he wouldn't do that unless he meant it.

I'm obviously pleased with this, since I love jumping and would like to progress to hunting and cross country in the future, but one thing that has occurred to me is that on an intellectual level I actually have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I mean I'm not even sure when in the stride I move, I just do. Every jump is effectively like that first one, my movement being dictated entirely by some childhood instinct that says 'move this way right now if you want to stay on'. During the whole process my mind is completely devoid of any thought, all I'm doing is sensing that 'thump thump BOUNCE' rhythm of the stride and going along with it. I'm pretty sure if I tried to think about it at all coming up to the jump I would mess up and probably fall off and/or cause a refusal.

My question is, is it a problem to be operating entirely on feel like this? I'm also conscious that I've only had a couple of jump lessons so far and still on basic small beginner cross rails. Can I keep going like this or is my lack of actual understanding/awareness going to become a problem for progressing to higher and wider jumps down the line?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I think instinct trumps learning. You can't teach the feeling of when to fold, in fact the best way is down a grid. That was how I learned riding a mare who just popped down a line of jumps in a nice rhythm and bingo I had it. It has to be instinctive. Still more to learn about distances and shortening and lengthening but you are well on the way.

Annagain

Visit site
It sounds to me you have the right attitude to it all (not overthinking and just reacting to what you have underneath you) but I'd still keep going with the lessons - apart from anything, it sounds like you might need to work on a bit of control so some help with that wouldn't go amiss. The important thing is to enjoy it and it sounds like you are so i'd keep going as you are.

jkitten

Visit site
Thank you both, that's a relief!

@bouncing_ball - Yes exactly, I do remember being taught jump position as a kid going over cavalettis as a kid, but being only 8 or 9 at the time it was very much a case of just trying to stay on, and when the instructor felt you were staying on with the right amount of competence, he would move you up to the next level of class. There was never much in the way of discussion of position and such, except the very basic heels down, sit up straight, etc.

@Errin - Yes it was reading about distances and stride length that got me worried, I have no clue how that works at the moment. Good to know it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with what I am currently doing! I'm sure my instructor will cover it when he feels I am ready.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I recommend continuing lessons with a good instructor whenever possible. Grids/gymnastics are so important to help teach you feel without worrying about striding. And when you're on your own, you can always set up lines and courses of just ground poles and canter around those to work on rhythm and distances. Regardless, please consider using a neckstrap so that your horse's mouth doesn't pay the price for any misjudgment on your part. I've just seen a lot of well meaning novice jumpers fail to release or get too far ahead/behind the horse's motion and the horse gets popped in the mouth (and back). Neckstraps can be useful.

jkitten

Visit site
It sounds to me you have the right attitude to it all (not overthinking and just reacting to what you have underneath you) but I'd still keep going with the lessons - apart from anything, it sounds like you might need to work on a bit of control so some help with that wouldn't go amiss. The important thing is to enjoy it and it sounds like you are so i'd keep going as you are.

Thank you! Yes control is a big one, partly because this specific horse has been allowed to get away with some bad habits in the past especially around just taking off when he sees an opening which we are now trying to school out of him. I have the benefit of having had my very first lessons as a child on a rather bolshy Fjord, so I do have some experience in that regard if no others, and with the help of my very patient instructor we are slowly improving together (I hope!).

Last edited:

jkitten

Visit site
I recommend continuing lessons with a good instructor whenever possible. Grids/gymnastics are so important to help teach you feel without worrying about striding. And when you're on your own, you can always set up lines and courses of just ground poles and canter around those to work on rhythm and distances. Regardless, please consider using a neckstrap so that your horse's mouth doesn't pay the price for any misjudgment on your part. I've just seen a lot of well meaning novice jumpers fail to release or get too far ahead/behind the horse's motion and the horse gets popped in the mouth (and back). Neckstraps can be useful.

Thanks, as I said my concern is that I have the feel and my instructor is happy with my instincts (I only jump with him at present), but I am concerned that my lack of intellectual awareness of striding and such will become a problem. Based on the replies it sounds like that is something I can learn later on when it becomes necessary, without changing what I am doing now.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Your very lucky! I loved jumping when I was younger, really loved it. Stopped because my horse got too old. Subsequent horse was a flat racer who had lots of health issues, never jumped him, next one had dodgy hocks. So it was many many years without jumping.
I started again and it just felt awful, I struggled with every aspect and haven’t really jumped since.

jkitten

Visit site
Your very lucky! I loved jumping when I was younger, really loved it. Stopped because my horse got too old. Subsequent horse was a flat racer who had lots of health issues, never jumped him, next one had dodgy hocks. So it was many many years without jumping.
I started again and it just felt awful, I struggled with every aspect and haven’t really jumped since.

Oh no that sucks, I'm sorry. :(

I honestly am very grateful to find that this particular thing has stuck, because lots of others did not (I think I must have had a foot of air under me for the first several canters!) and I'm not sure I would have the nerve to start jumping again now if I didn't already feel confident/comfortable with the basic movement.

AntiPuck

Visit site
Maybe some more experienced people will come in and disagree with me totally, but personally I think that the "feel" counts for an awful lot when jumping, because everything happens so quickly (in a course, at least). If you can feel/see that you're going to be on a bad stride, and are able to adjust according to what you see as you go, for example, I think that's a good 70-80% of the game.

I think a lot of the technical side comes in when you walk the course and try to determine how each jump or line is likely to ride and why, and that's something you can build with the help of your instructor. That way, you can have more proactive control over how the course will ride by anticipating things, instead of only reacting to what happens.

maggiestar

Visit site
It sounds as if you're doing fine OP! I don't do jumping anymore but my technique used to be 'point the horse at the jump and let them get on with it!' I wish I could get my head around the theory behind counting strides etc but it seems to complicated for me. :eek:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh no that sucks, I'm sorry. :(

I honestly am very grateful to find that this particular thing has stuck, because lots of others did not (I think I must have had a foot of air under me for the first several canters!) and I'm not sure I would have the nerve to start jumping again now if I didn't already feel confident/comfortable with the basic movement.
I have a new horse more recently and he has jumped fairly successfully with the guy we bought him off so he knows what he’s doing. I intend to have another bash at it this summer ??

Hepsibah

Visit site
On an intellectual level I don't know how to walk but I seem to have an instinct for it. You (you lucky devil) have an instinct for jumping. Don't question it, just enjoy it!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I think it depends what you want to achieve in the future, ie. if you want to compete or jump technical courses. I jumped in some lessons here and there as a child and teen but have never really learned how to jump from a more technical perspective, but I've survived several cross country weekends in Ireland with some decent sized fences and have also been drag hunting there. If you're happy just to have fun with it and you feel safe then I think it's somewhat possible to wing it, but continuing with lessons will always be beneficial and likely essential if you want to show jump courses, go eventing and so on.

tristar

Visit site
my friends daughter jumped for england

i once asked him if she had lessons, he said no just him to help, he said why alter something that worked so well