Starting up a Livery Yard Advice!

Jessicack

New User
Visit site
Hello!

I have had horses for over 17 years, worked on yard and gained a decent (I would say) knowledge of horses.

Recently my partners parents have offered me the opportunity to run my own yard! Now I know this is every horse owners dream... I just want to make sure I am ready. We have been viewing properties (some established, some with room to create a livery yard) and financially we are able.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice/ stories of their experiences taking on established yards, and starting from scratch.

I am still toying with the idea of making it a full livery yard, or just offering my additional services.

I hope someone can help me :)

Bexx

Visit site
Personally, good turnout, somewhere to ride and storage are essential. I am not bothered about Olympic facilities or whatever but a decent sized arena with fair drainage, lights and a few show jumps would seriously attract me to a yard. Adequate storage for tack rugs and other bits would be fab and an approachable friendly yard owner :) I'd also be looking for somewhere that did assisted DIY or part livery as I sometimes work funny shifts so would need the occasional bring in. Hay and straw included would also be a bonus :D
What areas are you looking at?

orionstar

Visit site
Make sure you have enough land in rotation to offer all year turnout, water supply and access for field haying, and I agree assisted DIY is invaluble expecially if you cant get a friend to check/feed your horse and you want to go on a work night out or something special. Feed/bedding and hay suppliers will need to be checked out in the area you're looking at, and also an emergency stable/ poorley paddock will never go amiss. Arena is invaluble in the winter along with lighting, but this dosent have to be fancy. Think about how you will share the fields, single sex or mixed herds, and again Bex has mentioned adequate secure storage areas for the mountains of stuff people have.

If you're just starting, ask for references from a previous yard, or check people out before you give them space, ask for a month in advance, and use a contract. A piece of A4 with what a livery gets for their money will do, just to be sure both sides knows whats what, and establish yard rules about arena time, poo picking, worming, and what happens in an emergency with the vet.

I have no experience in running a yard, but this would be my plan of action if I ever took up the challenge, and a toilet and kettle are always a bonus!

Good luck with it!