Starting youngsters to lunge

miss_bird

Visit site
OK i have 2 rising 3yr olds who are nick named dumb and dumber, well they are angels to walk around the roads in either headcollar and lead rope or bridle, Long reinging they are also perfect and responsive.
Now come the but tried to strat with a little bit of lunging last week, had a friend walking at the head of them each when it was their turn, now they were great as friend was not really leading just walking next to them but as she moved away they walked on for about 5-10 paces then just stopped.
Now i have never been the type to use a whip so hence when i gave them a tap to walk on they had no idea what it was mean to do.
So all you happy experienced people out there what would you try next.
I will say these are not the first youngsters i have started but they really are just not bothered about learning this new thing

letrec_fan

Visit site
Rather than standing in the middle, walk to the side of their hindquarters to encourage them along. This method can be used for younger horses. Walking much closer behind them. You could also slowly introduce lunging from longreining by just stepping nearer and nearer to the position above. This would obviously be with two reins, which may be better anyway to keep them more balanced.

miss_bird

Visit site
Thanks letrec, i was thinking of maybe long reining in the menage, as they have only ever been long reined around the roads.
So basically if i long rein in the menage then gradually move to the lunging position with 2 reins still, good thinking my brain had gone proper blank.
Thanks Again

letrec_fan

Visit site
Worth a try and no problem. :) Tell us how you get along.

The position I meant is to be almost parallel to the horse by hindquarters and walking beside them to encourage them to walk forwards. Sorry if I make no sense! You will probably pass near this when you change from longreining to middle of the school lungeing anyway. :)

miss_bird

Visit site
I know its mad, i tend to long rein constantly, and the lunging is only so that they can, dont tend to do much of it only in walk and a small trot as i am not a fan of lunging younsters as i think it is too much stress on their joints, but as they will be for sale in the next x amount of time it is just as most buyers prefer their youngster to be able to lunge.
So hence it is just so that they know the basics, e.g. walk and trot on the lunge