steaming hay

ajb

Visit site
Hiya
my horses are having to come in at night at the moment (normally out 24/7 all year) due to wet ground and having to feed hay..we are currently soaking the nets but seem to thiink that you can "steam" them..anyone do this..whats the way you do it -someone at my other yard used a dustbin and a kettle of water but cant remember how long for etc etc..anyone??

wattsy

Visit site
Hi, we do it sometimes in the winter when it's difficult to mess about with water - think they like a warm net for a change too! we just put a net in a plastic dustbin, pour over a whole kettle of boiling water, make sure the lid is a good fit and leave for about 10 mins or so. serve with new potatoes and a green salad...

ajb

Visit site
thanks thats the plan-thought it would involve dustbins-just getting sooo cold and wet with soaked nets that need a change!!...

fizz-tally

Visit site
steam mine too,much nicer on a frozen day
grin.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Soaking hay in the freezing weather causes too many problems, steaming is alot easier. I drop the haynet into an old shavings bag, pour in a kettle of boiling water, tie up the neck & leave it for a while.