Stem Cell Treatment - Has anyone out there got any experience of this!

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
My horse has a severe tendon injury which he did back in April. He's been box rested etc for 3 months and he's been referred for Stem Cell treatment - he goes in for Surgery on Monday! I've been told its a 60% chance that it will work as the hole in his tendon is on the point of his hock!!! V rare place to have it - My question is, has anyone out there had stem cell treatment for their horse? if so, when was it done and how are they doing now? I know there are no guarantees but this is the best chance he's got. Thanks!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I have a horse arriving tomorrow who has had stem cell treatment. He broke down a year ago and was slowly built up to 1 1/2 hours per day on the walker. He was finally turned out in the field 8 weeks ago, scanned clean.
I really dont like the sound of it, so ask me the same question in a few weeks!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We decided against it as it was expensive for our horse's injury (6% tear in flexor tendon)
I did however go against the vets advice and turn her out to walk about after two weeks, our vet rescanned her last week and said he has never seen a tendon heal so well so fast... I based it on the fact several of the retired liveries arrived with tendon injuries and they have all got sound over a long period of time turned away, if the stem cell thing doesn't work, you might consider just forgetting the horse for a year of so (I know this isn't possible for some people).
The endurance arab here arrived with a huge leg and is an insurance write off. Several years down the line it's almost shrunk to nothing and he gallops up and down rough fields with steep slopes sound as a pound..
Good luck, do keep us posted, i would be very interested in the results.

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Thanks for info. Will def keep you posted. Although he is only now marginally lame, the hole in his tendon is still there and he's not in any work at the mo - just turned out each day in a v small field/paddock so that he can't go la la! I work at the Royal Vet College and this is where he is coming for treatment. He came in a couple of weeks ago and the vets couldn't believe how mildly lame he was considering the size of the hole! As you say, if this doesn't work, I'll prob look to find him a companion home for the next year or so to just rest him and then go from there!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
There was a one off Super Vets on a couple of weeks ago - which showed a horse having Stem Cell Therapy done on it's front leg.

The outcome appeared successful - in as much as it was scanned a few months later and given a clean bill. But obviously we don't know the full outcome.

I think that it sounds fantastic - but obviously a newish treament.