Stem Cell Treatment, update!

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Ok, so some of you may remember me asking for any info that any of you had on stem cell treatment? My horse Jack had his op 2 1/2 weeks ago. He had stem cell treatment and a bursoscopy, this is where they scrape away all the torn tendon fibres! Anyway, bandage and stictches came out last week, and it's looking good! v little heat and swelling there. He's certainly putting weight on it, and we've started walking. 10 mins a day last week, 20 mins a day this week, then 30 mins from next week. He goes on the walker for most of this, and then I do a little in the evening, along our long concrete drive, he's been OK and not to silly!
He's goes back 1 week on Tues for his follow up scan, and if all OK I can start riding him for 40 mins a day!!! hurray -haven't got on him since beginning of April, so it's gonna be nearly 6 months to the day - am so excited! He's had his back checked, am gonna get his saddle checked and then we're away! Got 2 months of just walking, but you know what I just don't care - I'll be back riding him! will keep you all posted on his progress.......................

10past6

Visit site
Thats great news
smile.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thats great, its always good when the treatment has a positive outcome.

Just out of interest did you sign a form to say a sample of his bone marrow could be used for research? PM me if you like as I am involved in the stem cell work here at the RVC.

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Hi there, yes I did. I work at the RVC to. In the main Clinical block. Not a vet or anything good like that - just a PA!
Good old Roger looked after him - he's great! He was originally referred to Newmarket, they were great, but Roger has so much more experience on this sort of thing and this was really his last resort!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Ah ok, yes Roger is my boss.

Could you possibley PM me with your horse's details (age, breed, what you do with him etc), Roger hasn't given them to me yet and I will be using your horse's cells in my research and could do with some more details. If you prefer you can email me at work (I can PM you my address). Thanks! They are growing in my incubator so if you fancy a look give me a shout!
smile.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
LS, could you give me a bit of info on general recovery from stem cell treatment. I have one arriving soon which has had it. It did an hour on horsewalker a day for 10 months (stabled), then has been turned out for 2 months. Is this normal?