steriod injections in Hocks

LianneR

Visit site
hi our boy has had injections this morning to relive 2/10 lameness. He has come home seems fine but vet said box rest for 3 days... this was unexpected and a nightmare as all his pals are tuned out. He gets very agitated if hes the only one in..Would it be so bad if we put him out tomorrow . hes 15, wont go nuts, just wants to be out.... be glad of some balanced views to help calm our 16 year old daughter down as shes stressed to death that hes gonna kick his door in...unlikely but its is a bit stressful for him. really grateful for advice.

Visit site
Mine too only has to be in for 24 hours after being medicated. It's usually just long enough so that the needle holes can heal over and nothing nasty can get in. I don't like to go against Vet's advice but if he was mine I would be ringing the Vet first thing tomorrow and asking if 3 days is really essential and why as he is stressed out and doing more harm than good.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Did the vet not warn you about keeping him box rested after the steroid injections before carrying out the procedure?

Keeping him as directed in is likely to lead to the best outcome. The steroid can be dissipated out of the joint if the horse is not box rested.

LianneR

Visit site
Did the vet not warn you about keeping him box rested after the steroid injections before carrying out the procedure?

Keeping him as directed in is likely to lead to the best outcome. The steroid can be dissipated out of the joint if the horse is not box rested.
hi
No she didnt actually. which is why i am a bit thrown by the advice letter when we picked him up. I rang the vet back and said is this correct because you never mentioned it when we spoke in the morning. He was also having a gastroscope as he's had mild ulcers. I think this was more the focus of the conversation. This is the worry really, that the anxiety of being kept in, agitates his acid!

LianneR

Visit site
Just another thought - he isn't prone to Laminitis is he? Maybe she wants him off the grass for longer?
hi- no hes not at all. She did say when i rang that the steriod needed to stay in the joint and moving around would disperse at, as you say. His mooching about that much in his box that it probably will disappear anyway!

Visit site
hi- no hes not at all. She did say when i rang that the steriod needed to stay in the joint and moving around would disperse at, as you say. His mooching about that much in his box that it probably will disappear anyway!

yes, sounds like turning out would be the lesser of two evils if he is going to run around anyway! When did he have it done, today?

Visit site
Hmm, if he was mine I would be inclined to turn out in the morning if there is no other reason to keep him in, especially if he is stressy and ulcer prone. For tonight, has he got a friend who can keep him company? Or have you got any Sedalin you can give him to keep him calm? If not, what about a treat ball or something to keep him occupied?

LianneR

Visit site
Hmm, if he was mine I would be inclined to turn out in the morning if there is no other reason to keep him in, especially if he is stressy and ulcer prone. For tonight, has he got a friend who can keep him company? Or have you got any Sedalin you can give him to keep him calm? If not, what about a treat ball or something to keep him occupied?
hi thanks for that- he has a treat ball and now has an other face 3 doors down to look at so hopefully he will be ok, they always quieten down when the yard goes quiet so fingers and toes crossed he goes asleep and we willl see what tomorrow brings

Visit site
I agree with turning out tomorrow - my horse came in with what we think is a splint yesterday morning and I was dreading the Vet telling me he wouod have to box rest. We have three horses and Iz couldn't realistically keep the others in 24/7 so he would have to cope on his own but he too would turn himself inside out. Was planning on sitting with him whilst they were out as he is fine with me there! But luckily Vet has prescribed field rest atm unless he becomes lame and things change so I am relieved! Horses do like to keep us on our toes don't they?! ?

LianneR

Visit site
I agree with turning out tomorrow - my horse came in with what we think is a splint yesterday morning and I was dreading the Vet telling me he wouod have to box rest. We have three horses and Iz couldn't realistically keep the others in 24/7 so he would have to cope on his own but he too would turn himself inside out. Was planning on sitting with him whilst they were out as he is fine with me there! But luckily Vet has prescribed field rest atm unless he becomes lame and things change so I am relieved! Horses do like to keep us on our toes don't they?! ?
oh my days its me that needs the ulcer treatment!!! thanks for your thoughts, its so helpful just hearing getting some views so i know im not bonkers!:)

Visit site
oh my days its me that needs the ulcer treatment!!! thanks for your thoughts, its so helpful just hearing getting some views so i know im not bonkers!:)

haha it's fine! Not just you! I had convinced myself my boy had done a suspensory yesterday morning - it's not out of the question but looking unlikely at the moment but I am extra paranoid after losing my other boy in February. Hope your boy feels better after his injections - I know my Appy is on springs after he has them!

LianneR

Visit site
haha it's fine! Not just you! I had convinced myself my boy had done a suspensory yesterday morning - it's not out of the question but looking unlikely at the moment but I am extra paranoid after losing my other boy in February. Hope your boy feels better after his injections - I know my Appy is on springs after he has them!
thanks - hope hes ok xxx

eggs

Visit site
I'm late to this thread but my vet recommends three days box rest after steroid injection to help 'keep' the steroid in the joint as too much moving about can dissipate it. She does however say that if the horse won't tolerate box rest (mine does) that they can go out the next day.

LianneR

Visit site
I'm late to this thread but my vet recommends three days box rest after steroid injection to help 'keep' the steroid in the joint as too much moving about can dissipate it. She does however say that if the horse won't tolerate box rest (mine does) that they can go out the next day.
thanks for that. We did let him out 24 hours later, but there was no galloping about so feel ok with the decision. he was doing more ruminating around in his box which would only aggravate the ulcer so it was the least of the 2 evils really. seems to be ok so fingers crossed.