Steroid induced laminitus

noblesteed

Visit site
Yes I know someone whose horse has, I think it's fairly common. Treat as regular laminitis - it's caused by toxins so you need to try and flush them out. Do all the usual lami treatment.
Millk thistle powder was recommended to me by my farrier to help remove toxins.
Mine became 'footy' and had stretching marks after his hock steroid injections but I had been warned by the vet this might happen so he was on precautionary box rest, soaked hay, lami supplements etc already so it was a very mild case.

Hillpark

Visit site
Yes, my welsh section D came down with it after being on a half dose of Prednisolone. It was absolutely terrifying as he was in incredible pain for a number of days until we could get his bute to take effect. On day 1 we sedated him (to encourage him to lie down) and this helped a little, then he had bute injections to get pain relief in as quick as possible. We used frog supports, bandaging to support his legs as he was passing weight from one foot to the other to try and relieve himself - both of these seemed to help.

Is he overweight? Get ANY excess weight off ASAP. My horse is now a condition score 2 and will remain so for the rest of his life to minimise the likelihood of recurrence.

It will take weeks, months of care, so tell her to be patient. We kept a very close eye on my boy's mood, as he became brighter before he looked more comfortable, but it felt like he was turning a corner from them. He is now out 24/7 in a grass paddock and back in work with heart bar shoes and rolled toes, which he is comfortable with and sound.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I'm currently on watch for this as it seems far more common than the 1/1000 figure that my vet quoted. I've taken her off the grass for all but two hours a day and she is on 6kg of soaked hay given in rations throughout the other 22 hours. Fingers crossed for your friends horse. I'm three days post injections, so still at risk.

Horse needs to be on a deep bed, soaked hay (1% body weight) and get the vet (obviously) x

Jim bob

Visit site
Oh yeah. My boy nearly his. I have done a thread in the veterinary section here. I have to watch him and his pulses like a hawk! Currently he is in a small section of our field
But when I thought he did have lami he was box rested for 72 hours and vet called. I am using oral steriods.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
My mare came down with steroid induced laminitis on the second week of prednisolone despite not being classed as at risk as I'd asked the vet before the start of treatment. She wasn't overweight and had never had laminitis before. She was incredibly sore the first two days unable to move, treatment was stabled on thick bed, frog supports, sedalin, pain killers injected for first two days then bute. She came sound within two weeks, box rested for a further month and then slowly introduced turnout. She had only minimal rotation in one front foot despite in the first days hollows appearing in her coronet band.

She never suffered another attack and was sound for the rest of her life and was able to be turned out as normal although she was and always had been on restricted grazing through the spring/summer as she was a cob who very easily put on weight.

GlamourDol

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies.
I popped in to see them on my way home and have to say he shows no outward signs of lami at all. He's not leaning back on his heels and isn't swapping weight on his legs and seems quite chirpy in himself. ( he is on 2 danilon tho) their vet has told them to walk him 3 times a day on a surface, which I've never heard of. Has anyone else been told this?

Barnacle

Visit site
Glucocorticoids - which are the steroids that might (very rarely) induce laminitis - can alter blood supply to the hoof and/or induce insulin resistance. It's got absolutely nothing to do with 'toxins' unless you mean the steroid itself. The thing to do is treat it like ordinary laminitis, limit sugar/caloric intake and eliminate the steroids. It doesn't usually last long. If the horse needs the steroids for some other condition, they can be reintroduced but need to be at low levels and preferably administered topically. Your vet should know how to proceed.

Edit: walking a bit for exercise is not an unusual suggestion but only if the horse seems close to sound. I would personally choose box rest and a diet until totally sound but if your vet said walk, he/she probably feels your horse is well enough for it.

Last edited:

Hillpark

Visit site
Agree with Barnacle - walking not unusual when horse starts to become sound, but definitely not worth forcing the issue, I'm sure your friend will also be a judge of whether her horse is ready.