Steroids and laminitis

willhegofirst

Visit site
Has anyone had or known of a horse/pony that has presented with laminitis after having steroids?
My lad has had problems with his bladder, it is improving but the vet is talking about steroids depending on the results of his latest biopsies, although he has never had full blown laminitis he is grass sensitive, I watch him like a hawk at this time of year. I will have the conversation with the vet if he recommends steroids but interested to hear of of people's experiences.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would get him tested for cushings and ems before you go ahead, my vet recommended I did with my mare and I am glad I did as she tested positive for both, and she had tested negative for cushings some months before, hence to say she didn't have them although hers were for an injury so not essential.

I have only known one horse to get laminitis after having steroids although he did have laminitis some years before so he may have had something else going on, unfortunately this second bout was much worse and she lost him, sorry I haven't got a happier story but I would be really careful if you have any suspicions that he has a metabolic issue.