Steroids and laminitis

willhegofirst

Visit site
Has anyone had or known of a horse/pony that has presented with laminitis after having steroids?
My lad has had problems with his bladder, it is improving but the vet is talking about steroids depending on the results of his latest biopsies, although he has never had full blown laminitis he is grass sensitive, I watch him like a hawk at this time of year. I will have the conversation with the vet if he recommends steroids but interested to hear of of people's experiences.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Not personally. It is a known complication though. There was a huge case a few years ago when a Grand Prix dressage horse developed laminitis after steriod treatment and the owners sued the vet for lots of £. Not sure what the outcome was.

WelshD

Visit site
My vet used to be very cautious about it but these days still warns of complications but says the risk is less than it was previously thought

I however will never ever have my pony injected with steroids (though I might risk tablets) as a pony I have was injected when I first got him to alleviate allergy symptoms and he literally was stripped of topline and muscle tone almost ovenight - you can see in the post I link to below - the first picture was him after steroid treatment, its taken ages to get him back to pony shape

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?719131-Our-little-money-pit-)

Hexx

Visit site
Yes.

My lad was on high dose steroids for IBS/cancer of the lower intestine which was diagnosed in November 2014 - unfortunately, he was too poorly for a biopsy but the treatment for both conditions was steroids. He was on 180 prednislone per day for three months.

In February he developed laminitis at which point the steroids were stopped. The vet misdiagnosed it as a bruised sole and subsequently treatment for the laminitis was delayed by about a week, until another vet diagnosed the laminitis. By that time, it was untreatable and I lost him at the end of March 2015.

Don't let your horse stay on steroids too long and watch like a hawk. The galling thing was the vet and I had had a conversation about laminitis and long term steroids only about a week before the lameness.

willhegofirst

Visit site
Yes.

My lad was on high dose steroids for IBS/cancer of the lower intestine which was diagnosed in November 2014 - unfortunately, he was too poorly for a biopsy but the treatment for both conditions was steroids. He was on 180 prednislone per day for three months.

In February he developed laminitis at which point the steroids were stopped. The vet misdiagnosed it as a bruised sole and subsequently treatment for the laminitis was delayed by about a week, until another vet diagnosed the laminitis. By that time, it was untreatable and I lost him at the end of March 2015.

Don't let your horse stay on steroids too long and watch like a hawk. The galling thing was the vet and I had had a conversation about laminitis and long term steroids only about a week before the lameness.
Thanks Hexx, I'm very sorry you lost your boy, all Information is useful, I will be very cautious.

willhegofirst

Visit site
If you have a competent vet that you trust, you should follow his/her advice, if you don't trust the vet, find one that you do!
I haven't been in the area very long, first time I've had to use the vets, they come highly recommend, but it's difficult the vet is very thorough.

Brunocat

Visit site
Yes. My warmblood had steroids injected in her back for kissing spine, less than 48 hours later she went down with steroid induced laminitis. Thanks to vigilant rehab yard owner the symptoms were spotted immediately and vet came within 30 minutes but was a long and costly recovery. Vet had not had a case in his 40 years of practice, just my luck.

scrapster

Visit site
I have a tb, that's been injected with steroids for various issues, the first thing my vet did was explain about steroid induced laminitus. Unfortunately, my lad has developed an illness that needs steroid injections every other day for 10 days (on top of his hock being injected 4 weeks ago) we had to make a call, pts or try the injections as above, and risk the laminitus, we have gone for the risk. My vet is very aware, has made me aware and he is dong regular checks. I would say speak to your vet, if he's good he should be helping and guiding you through it. Good luck and sorry to hear about your lad x

oldie48

Visit site
That's tricky then but I honestly think it's very difficult to take advice on something like this from a forum I trust my vet completely but know that sometimes horses will have adverse reactions, just like we do. good luck I hope your boy recovers quickly.
I haven't been in the area very long, first time I've had to use the vets, they come highly recommend, but it's difficult the vet is very thorough.

noblesteed

Visit site
Yes
My good doer has steroid injections for hock arthritis. First time he had them farrier found lami evidence in his hooves. Subsequently I have treated him as lami for the 2 week period following the injections - box rest, rubbish hay etc and he's been ok. Pulsey for a few days but otherwise fine.

caitlineloise

Visit site
Yes, mine. Had corticosteroid inj due to a kick (vet just said inj with AI, if I had realised it wasn't an NSAID I would of told them not to bother) next day he came in from his bare paddock crippled.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would have him tested for cushings and ems my vet recommended I tested my mare before he gave them to her, I am glad I did as she tested positive for both and she tested negative for cushings a few months previous, hence she didn't have the steroids they were for an injury so not essential.

I think if you suspect anything metabolic going on with your horse get him tested first I always would now.

Tobiano

Visit site
Yes, a horse I know recently had the same. Pinkvboots idea is a very good one - then if you have any elevated levels you can discuss the pros and cons with your vet before any treatment.

BBP

Visit site
My sisters horse had its tendon sheath injected 2.5 weeks ago. Within a week he was very sore and toe pointing. Luckily she got him straight in, vet advice and another week later he is getting half hour am and pm in a tiny grazed off paddock and is leaping around happily (bad pony!). Mine has had two lots of steroid to sacroiliac and the stifle and has been okay but it's a huge concern of mine and I don't give him anything but soaked hay for a week or two afterwards.

willhegofirst

Visit site
Thanks all, lots to consider and will definitely be having a chat with the vet if he does suggest using steroids, can't say I'm very keen, but not sure what other choices he will come up with.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You must always manage any horse on steroids or injected with steroids as though it's at high risk of laminitis .
Severely reduced grazing and restricted Haylege and hard food . I get my hands on some unfertilised meadow hay if I can .

LaurenBay

Visit site
Yes Horse at my yard had cortisone injections and a week later was crippled with lami, sadly she was PTS.

My Horse had cortisone injections 4 weeks ago and I was very careful, box rested for 3 days on soaked hay, when she went out for the first week it was 4 hours with a muzzle. Then I put her out an hour extra each day still with muzzle. She is now on 10 hour turnout without muzzle but ridden every day. Still being very careful though and checking feet every 2 bloody minutes!

Jim bob

Visit site
I would trust your vet. However I felt I must reply to this. My horse is a tb,and has been on steroids for a.year on and off. He was on the power and the recommended dose for him was 4 scoops. He was on 6 scoops for around a month or so then back to 4 scoop.

My horse had never had a problem with lami before been a tb. However during the first 2 months we had a few lami false alarms. After 6 months of been on a d off them they stopped working. Recently we did a blood test and his liver was up. Due to the affects of the steroids. Therefore my horse will not be going on steroids again, for that reason and now he has been lame /foot sensitive. Due to the steroids also.

He has been on steroids for such a long time ( my boy is extreme) that it was starting to affect his insides. My boy is barefoot which is another reason he won't be on the drugs again.

PorkChop

Visit site
Yes, one of our mares had a steroid injection to her stifle and within 24 hours came down with laminitis.

Luckily she recovered pretty quickly but it was truly horrible for the first four or five days.

I would definitely trust your Vet, I have since had a horse injected with steroids as I believe the risk to be small compared to the potential benefits.

greygirlie

Visit site
I am in a simiar situation - 15 yo mare has active spavin which is making her very sore. Last year she responded to cartrophen and tildren, but it's flared up again, and worse than before. Just had a month of cartrophen with no effect. Known to be EMS, she's been off grass for a week now which doesn't help her hocks as she needs to be active. Plan is to medicate her hocks on Tuesday and I'm very worried about the laminitis risk. Have been reducing her soaked hay as much as I dare, exercise twice a day, so not much more I can do prevention wise. Still not sure I am going to go ahead, I do trust the vet, he would do it if she was his horse. So OP, know exactly how you feel...and we only have six weeks left on the insurance. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.