Steroids injection or Cartrophen injection?

Lippyx

Active Member
Joined
17 September 2008
Messages
3,870
Location
Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
I posted a few weeks or so ago about my horse being diagnosed with arthritis in both hocks. I've spoken to vet about either going for Steroids or Cartrophen injections.
Steroids - These worry me a little. He had a small bout of Laminitis last year, and so far, no signs this year. I try to keep him as slim as possible, but he is naturally a stocky/live off fresh air type of horse.
Cartrophen - I know this is more of a supplement than an anti-inflammatory, and is a much more regular injection (which I'll have to learn to administer) but obviously no risk of bringing on Lami.

Vet says she would go for the steroid, but understands my concerns and has given me some time to decide. She has said we could go with the Cartrophen at first, see how he copes, and then move to the steroid option when the Cartrophen is no longer affective.

My horse doesn't seem to be too uncomfortable with general riding. Only when you ask for tight flexing of the hock (farrier lifting his hinds up to trim etc.) does he become reluctant.

I just don't know what to do for the best?? Even my gut instinct has bailed on me with this one!
 

SEL

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 February 2016
Messages
4,459
Location
Buckinghamshire
Given current grass flush I've put steroid injections on hold right now - laminitis would finish off both me and the horse I think!

One of mine responded well to catrophen but the other has no obvious improvement. I'd say its worth a go and then steroids once the laminitis risk has reduced .
 

Louby

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 July 2005
Messages
6,093
Location
Manchester
Mines having both, but I am putting the steroid on hold too because of the lami risk. I realise its a small risk and she isnt the stereotype to get it but Im so unlucky and it would be sods law
 

annagain

Well-Known Member
Joined
10 December 2008
Messages
9,938
Having had both (in different horses, admittedly) steroids are far more effective in my experience. However, I understand your concerns about laminitis given your boy has already had it once. If it's relatively mild at this stage there would certainly be no harm in trying cartrophen and moving on to steroids if necessary - preferably in winter! M had his elbow injected 2 1/2 years ago (aged 20) and has only had one short episode of lameness since (about 18 months ago) At the same time as having the steroid he also had hyaluronic acid injected directly into the joint (at vet hospital follwing extensive diagnostic tests). When he had the subesquent lameness, my vet said the research on hyaluronic acid had moved on and a general injection rather than directly into the joint had proved just as effective and much lower risk - with the added benefit of reaching other joints too. We did that and *touch wood* he's been sound as a pound ever since - he's even doing some XC again this year!

Would HA be worth investigating?
 
Joined
21 March 2014
Messages
75
I do both together. Although similar I don’t feel they are comparable if that makes sense. If your horse is a laminitis risk maybe discus arthramid with your vet. Not sure it would be suitable but unlike steriods there is no laminitis risk. Good luck!
 

Louby

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 July 2005
Messages
6,093
Location
Manchester
Hope you dont mind me jumping on your post Lippyx but does it matter if they arent done at the same time. We are nearly done wth the Cartrophen course but the grass is toxic on our yard and I would really like to postpone the Steroid injection til later in the year. Would this matter?
 

Lippyx

Active Member
Joined
17 September 2008
Messages
3,870
Location
Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Hope you dont mind me jumping on your post Lippyx but does it matter if they arent done at the same time. We are nearly done wth the Cartrophen course but the grass is toxic on our yard and I would really like to postpone the Steroid injection til later in the year. Would this matter?
My vet said if I go for the Cartrophen, then he would have that until it no longer had an affect, and then we could move onto the steroids, so by the looks of it, you don't have to do them together. Just remember, they don't do the same thing... the Cartrophen is compared to joint supplements whereas the steroids are anti-inflammatory
 

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Joined
7 June 2010
Messages
17,342
Location
north west
My gelding has been having cartrophenevery 6 months for about 4 years now. it has good results. You can see it wearing off after about 5 months.
 

ihatework

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 September 2004
Messages
15,216
You can do both at once or do the separately.

I think I’d be inclined to do Cartrophen first rather than in combo - it can have good effect in some, and nothing noticeable in others - so it would be useful to know upfront so you can choose how to spend your pennies later down the line.

If you do both together you will most likely see a noticeable improvement but that will primarily be driven by the steroid, the Cartrophen effect will be less obvious
 
Top