Stiff pony - what can I look for?

Troggy

Visit site
Toffee has decided that she obviously doesn't want to do some SJ tomorrow by being very stiff to ride the last couple of days, especially today.

What can I look for which might narrow it down as to what is wrong?

I can't feel any heat in her legs, although her hocks seemed the warmest out of everything? It could be a side effect of the pills she is on for head shaking(been on since Monday) but she has been stumbling for a few months now so have been getting a bit concerned. Vet thinks it's just arthritic changes in her knees but why would she get so stiff so quickly as she was fine last weekend (can only ride at weekends at the moment)
She is ok walking but very short strided in trot, willing to go, just a bit shuffly and doesn't warm up out of it. Her napping has also got worse
frown.gif

Feeling bit sorry for myself at mo, just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on what could cause this or any ideas how to stop it?

Thanks

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I would get the vets to x-ray her. You need to pinpoint exactly where the problem is before you can treat it. Have you had her back checked out? Have you questioned your farrier? She obviously isnt right and you will only know with investigation. Good luck.

Troggy

Visit site
First person I asked was the farrier when she started stumbling - he said it was either pilot error or lazy pony!!!
mad.gif
Not helpful or true!!!
Will see how she is tomorrow, she did bolt twice last weekend so possibly linked? Phoning vet on Monday about for headshaking update so will ask then. Talk about it never rains....
frown.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I would advise trying her on liquid (not powder ) cortaflex for at least a week. We had one of ours on it after he felt stiff, and the difference after four days is remarkable.
It does sound a bit arthritis related and C is extremely good for this. It is however damned expensive...(£50 a month for our horse, so believe me, if it didn't work, it wouldn't get it!)

Patches

Visit site
Does she have rolled toes to help with the stumbling? If you lunge her is she nodding lame on a circle? Does she put her toe down before her heel?

Patches used to stumble till she almost fell to her knees. Be it in the school, hacking, on grass. X-rays of her feet showed they were grossly out of balance, even though they looked ok. Farrier had to put exaggerated rolled toe shoes on and extend the shoes at the heel to support her foot more. The transformation was instant. She never tripped again! She's now sound in front on a circle too.

Patches does have the onset of low ringbone in her front feet too. It's non-articular and the vet isn't in the least bit concerned as we proved her shoeing was to blame. She always looks stiff through the shoulder too, would drop a shoulder often, if not tripping.

Might be worth a look.

Weezy

Visit site
Prob controversial BUT I would try riding her on bute and see if there is any difference - that way, if she immediately is better, you start looking for physical cause rather than mental (if that makes sense!)

Patches

Visit site
I did wonder about bute too Louise. First thing I was asked to do with Patches was put her on bute to see if the stumbling was pain related. When she still tripped, she was then taken to the clinic for blocks and x-rays.

You wouldn't have to ride her necessarily though. You could lunge her today off bute, bute tonight and in the morning and lunge her again.

Troggy

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, it could be worth a try, might have to wait until insurance company have started paying for current pills though (£6 a day!). She is currently on Devils Claw and Glucosamine but doesn't seem to be making a huge difference.
Thanks
smile.gif

Troggy

Visit site
Thanks for that info, her stumbling is on any surface and random. I don't have anywhere to lunge at the moment as fields like marshes but I am going to tackle the farrier again and see if I can get her feet looked at properly.

Troggy

Visit site
I also thought about trying bute but can't until spoken to vets tomorrow as it may react with the pills she is currently on. When on bute previously, it did help a bit but again, as I can only ride at weekends it's realy hard to get a measure of her!

Patches

Visit site
I have just noted a boo boo with my initial reply. It should have said she "always LOOKED stiff through the shoulder..." past tense. Her movement is now far more fluid since her feet were balanced. Well I say fluid, about as good as you can expect from a heavier weight, very upright cob. lol

bellaM

Visit site
Try having a physio or chiropract out to see if they can loosen her up a bit, how old is she? Some stiffnesses and napping like you describe can be related to problems and tightness elsewhere, not necessarily an arthritic condition. If she has had the balance of her feet changed it can have a knock on effect on the rest of her body.