Stiffening mare?

RunToEarth

Visit site
My mare is just coming 27 now, and is starting to go a little stiff in her back legs. She is happily grazing 24/7 and has no lameness issues anymore, the stiffness is simply old age. She isn't fed at the moment, but I was just wondering whether it might be worth giving her a joint supplement. Never been one for giving them, but this horse has given us everything and I was just wondering if it might be an idea?

GTs

Visit site
I would not bother - they are expensive, and you can do the world and you are not going to beat old age.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Codliver oil or linseed oil for omega 3 fatty acids. Helps with arthritis and may be useful for general stiffness. Cortaflex etc are all expensive and work for some and not others. Gentle exercise, regular turnout and keeping her warm are probably the best things. My old mare was arthritic so we retired her kept some bute in that we would give her on her stiff days just to ease her along. Its so sad seeing a horse that you have known since a youngster succomb to old age
frown.gif
but good on you for wanting to keep her happy.

ETS: Is this the lovely Bertha? She reminds me so much of Spring

RachelB

Visit site
I think if you can find one that isn't too expensive that might help make her more comfortable, go for it. I give my horse apple cider vinegar, it's meant to be good for all sorts of things including joints.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cortaflex has helped Cairo, as has instant linseed.

He does wear magnets straps - which may or may not do anything, but he appears to benefit and certainly is worse without them.

I used to give my TB from the age of 24 a bute every other day. When it was very cold and damp, I gave 1 a day. She was very active to the day she died.

I also found keeping the back warm and dry, plenty of exercise - taking lots of time to carefully warm up and cool down also helped.

On the TBs, leg wraps when it was cold and damp also benefitted. Cairo has his own inbuild wraps.

Hope that some of this helps her.

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would not bother - they are expensive, and you can do the world and you are not going to beat old age.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well yes this was largely my attitude to it, she hasn't ever been on fancy things, and I dont think she needs it really. Thanks for that Lucy_Spring, I will definately try that
smile.gif
x

claire1976

Visit site
I would never use cod liver oil - I just don't think vegetarians should be having fish oil, I know it can work but I personally don't think its natural.
I use apple cider vinegar and soya oil to help ease stiffness in my TB mare.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I agree, I don't feed fish oils to my horse either but the omega 3 fatty acids that have been shown to help with arthritis are in high levels in fish oil and linseed oil. more so than any other hence my suggestion
smile.gif

Good look with Bertha Rosie, she is lovely.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Someone told me that they have been using global herbs (not sure which one though) for their pony who was going to be pts earlier this year because of serious lack of mobility.

I saw a fone video of her this week, galloping round the school bucking and leaping like a two year old.... they told me it would be obvious which one if i read the website.

Good luck with your oldie..

claire1976

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I don't feed fish oils to my horse either but the omega 3 fatty acids that have been shown to help with arthritis are in high levels in fish oil and linseed oil. more so than any other hence my suggestion
smile.gif

Yes - totally agree, omega 3 and linseed also good stuff for stiffness.
smile.gif

bountyboy

Visit site
GLUCOSAMINE!!!
Its incredible - I sware by it.
If I had my way every horse in the world should be given it - studies proove that if given it reduces likelyhood of arthritus in older age. Its also helped my poor little old dog who is suffering from arthritus.
Usually comes combined with chondritin and msm.
Trully fab!!!

Parkranger

Visit site
Maybe add Linseed oil to her feed rather than an expensive supplement - warms the blood slightly thus stopping joints getting too cold this time of year. Also gets straight into the system - made such a difference to my boy

digitalangel

Visit site
i use easy-joint on my 16 year old TB who doesnt have arthritis but is very stiff in his hindquarters of a morning.

Works a treat! contains apple cider vinegar, MSM, glucoasmine and devils claw.