Stiffness when schooling

bexcy-bee

Visit site
The mare I share is really stiff on her left rein. I haven't schooled her for a little while and she's definitely deteriorated since I last did. Before I try to go down the route of saddle checks and/or physio/backman, is there any schooling exercising that would be able to help?

I've been doing lots of circles and transitions, changes of reins today, but she was more interested in the chicken on the other side of the road than schooling, so I didn't get a true 'feel' for her today.

I've just started doing carrot stretches aswell.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please don't go on about getting her checked out, it's really not up to me and I'm not sure if I could convince her owners to get someone out

Bexcy-bee x

soloequestrian

Visit site
It sounds to me as if you're doing fine. It might be worth getting together with whoever else rides her and discussing the issue - it might well be that they're not particularly aware of it and are riding her in a manner that exaggerates the problem.

khalswitz

Visit site
The mare I share is really stiff on her left rein. I haven't schooled her for a little while and she's definitely deteriorated since I last did. Before I try to go down the route of saddle checks and/or physio/backman, is there any schooling exercising that would be able to help?

I've been doing lots of circles and transitions, changes of reins today, but she was more interested in the chicken on the other side of the road than schooling, so I didn't get a true 'feel' for her today.

I've just started doing carrot stretches aswell.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please don't go on about getting her checked out, it's really not up to me and I'm not sure if I could convince her owners to get someone out

Bexcy-bee x

My guy gets stiffer one way - he gets regular physio to help, and she's left us a load of stretches for shoulder and opposite hind leg.

Schooling wise, I do lots of bending and lateral work to free him up - shoulder in to leg yielding to various sized circles and trot lengthening across the diagonal to 3/4 line, half halt and leg yield out. And lots of transitions, with lots of leg and seat, whenever the pace gets rushed/flat/hollow!!!

bexcy-bee

Visit site
It sounds to me as if you're doing fine. It might be worth getting together with whoever else rides her and discussing the issue - it might well be that they're not particularly aware of it and are riding her in a manner that exaggerates the problem.

No one else rides her but me, excluding the odd hack once every 6 weeks or so, so it's definitely not that! Lol

My guy gets stiffer one way - he gets regular physio to help, and she's left us a load of stretches for shoulder and opposite hind leg.

Schooling wise, I do lots of bending and lateral work to free him up - shoulder in to leg yielding to various sized circles and trot lengthening across the diagonal to 3/4 line, half halt and leg yield out. And lots of transitions, with lots of leg and seat, whenever the pace gets rushed/flat/hollow!!!

Thanks for this, I will continue with what I'm doing. Her lateral work leaves a lot to be desired, so don't think that would help too much at the moment, though I will give it a go!

I will continue what I am doing already then. It may have been exaggerated because the chickens were so interesting today! Lol

Bexcy-bee x

khalswitz

Visit site
Thanks for this, I will continue with what I'm doing. Her lateral work leaves a lot to be desired, so don't think that would help too much at the moment, though I will give it a go!

I will continue what I am doing already then. It may have been exaggerated because the chickens were so interesting today! Lol

Bexcy-bee x

The only way it gets better is with practice, and it will help loosen her up too - my boy was RUBBISH until my instructor told me to get over it and work through it - his lateral work has improved hugely and he is loosening up and working so much better too.

Start with flexing the neck, but asking for continued forward, straight movement - that's one a lot of show jumpers use, and starts to get her flexing her body without worry too much about the lateral movement.

Best of luck.