Still can't catch him

Jinx94

Visit site
Over the last month and a half, I can count the number of times I've caught my pony on one hand.

I've had him for four years, from weaning, and catching was complicated up until the start of the year before last. He was foot perfect until I went to uni for a weekend at the start of Feb.

He did have a fear reaction to the rope initially, this doesn't seem to be present anymore. The softly softly approach has not worked, walking him down is not working. He's happy turned out on his own and has proven previously that if cornered, he'll jump whatever is in his way.

If anyone has decent advice, I would really appreciate it ("native Americans used to spend days walking wild horses down on the plains" will not be well received).

I love this horse and have worked so hard with him, but I don't know where to go from here. I can't keep doing this.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m presuming you’ve tried food? I gave mine a herbal treat every day, not even trying to catch him for the first week, then progressing to just holding the head collar until I eventually got it on.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I used an ancient leather headcollar and tied a piece of frayed rope on to it. My horse would come up to me bit not allow me to put a headcollar on. By leaving the kit mentioned above on him i could tempt him with a treat and get a hand on the bit of rope.

bonny

Visit site
I used an ancient leather headcollar and tied a piece of frayed rope on to it. My horse would come up to me bit not allow me to put a headcollar on. By leaving the kit mentioned above on him i could tempt him with a treat and get a hand on the bit of rope.
This, if he doesn’t allow you to put a head collar on the leave it on and make sure you always have a carrot or whatever to give him when you do catch him

pippixox

Visit site
obviously this isn't a new issue, but grass starting to grow won't have helped the issue! will he stay in a field, that can be made smaller and therefore reduce the grass so that he has incentive to come for you for food? my mare is perfect to catch except occasionally in the spring (although luckily with her a brief follow and she gives up and lets me put her head collar on!) years ago she was head shy and I used to insist she had a head collar put on in the field before I would give her her feed even though I wasn't planning on tying up or taking her anywhere. that was incentive! but with spring grass it can stop them being that fussed by treats unless on restricted

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Can you safely drive him into an enclosed yard or stable? Or at least can he be quietly driven through into a field where he can then access yard or enclosure?
I've had to do this many times to start with, when had fully feral ponies and this is after being yarded for a while.
Quietly driven in, I'm then usually able to catch and headcollar.
Is the above possible? Or getting a heras pen set up, with feed in and a 2nd person to help?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My gelding started getting very difficult to catch. It turned out he done his suspensory, could be pain related if he’s in work? Just a idea

oldie48

Visit site
Sometimes walking them down does take a very, very long time the first time. How long have you tried for? I have genuinely never known it fail.
I also don't "walk them down" I keep them moving, preferably in canter or at least in trot. They never get the chance to get their head down to eat. You do need to pick a time when you have all the time (and energy) in the world and stick with it. I use a lunge whip to send them away but I would do this after removing all the other horses and ponies . Not being able to catch them is a complete pita but doing this transformed my old boy and actually helped to build our relationship as he was a bit of a cocky so and so.

Jinx94

Visit site
Thank you all, really appreciate your replies x

He's already wearing a headcollar (I wouldn't stand a chance without it!) and as soon as I get hold of him again, I'll put a bit of rope on it. He's not particularly bothered by food - he runs away from a rattly scoop and also runs away from any treats he knocks out of your hand :rolleyes:

Aimeetess, I'm not convinced it's pain related as he had been going very well and was only a few weeks back into work after time off with a splint. He's also sound as a pound... BUT I'll definitely keep that in mind and check him over thoroughly when I can.

Today I spent 2.5 hours making him move around the field - I did make him work - and that made no difference. I have two part time jobs that I can use the middle of the day for horse time rather than struggle with light during winter, but it means that I'm limited as to how long I can be chasing after him. I also have three uni deadlines coming up. I run out of mental energy long before I physically tire out.

I've gone over a few possible options with my YOs, but finding something that works for everyone is proving complicated. Herding him into the stables isn't really an option due to layout, he can't be put in the heras pen as one side is post and rail and my YOs are concerned about him jumping out, plus it's next to the school. We briefly discussed putting a heras pen inside the field he's in and herding him into it, but they felt that it wouldn't solve the issue as once he's back out of it, they doubt we'll get him back in. Gotta love a pony brain :rolleyes:

I'm looking up local pros that could give me a hand. I'm in Warwickshire if anyone has any personal recommendations!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Thank you all, really appreciate your replies x

He's already wearing a headcollar (I wouldn't stand a chance without it!) and as soon as I get hold of him again, I'll put a bit of rope on it. He's not particularly bothered by food - he runs away from a rattly scoop and also runs away from any treats he knocks out of your hand :rolleyes:

Aimeetess, I'm not convinced it's pain related as he had been going very well and was only a few weeks back into work after time off with a splint. He's also sound as a pound... BUT I'll definitely keep that in mind and check him over thoroughly when I can.

Today I spent 2.5 hours making him move around the field - I did make him work - and that made no difference. I have two part time jobs that I can use the middle of the day for horse time rather than struggle with light during winter, but it means that I'm limited as to how long I can be chasing after him. I also have three uni deadlines coming up. I run out of mental energy long before I physically tire out.

I've gone over a few possible options with my YOs, but finding something that works for everyone is proving complicated. Herding him into the stables isn't really an option due to layout, he can't be put in the heras pen as one side is post and rail and my YOs are concerned about him jumping out, plus it's next to the school. We briefly discussed putting a heras pen inside the field he's in and herding him into it, but they felt that it wouldn't solve the issue as once he's back out of it, they doubt we'll get him back in. Gotta love a pony brain :rolleyes:

I'm looking up local pros that could give me a hand. I'm in Warwickshire if anyone has any personal recommendations!
there is a lady called Viki yates on facebook who does clicker training etc. Not sure if she could help? worth a try maybe?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Could you make a electric tape pen to bring him in to to feed? Coud be quite big to start then slowly reduce the size once gets used to going in?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would make his field much, much smaller.

I appreciate that if cornered he will jump out, but once in a very small turnout place I would not corner him, but teach him it is easier to be caught. I am thinking a 20m X 20m turnout place, a bit bigger if you think 20 X 20 (half a dressage arena) would make him jump, but not a lot bigger.

I would have him on his own. That way keeping him moving would be easier, but it is about the timing that the pressure comes off as soon as he moves towards what you are looking for. So, at first even looking at you means you stand still, look away and be small. When he looks away grow tall and wide, if he moves off walk after him.

It is this removal of pressure as soon as he pays you attention, then removal of pressure as soon as he looks towards you, as soon as he slows down, as soon as he stops, as soon as he moves towards you, as soon as he is beside you. Then, don't leap on the halter. Small touch and walk off. Then rinse and repeat until he makes contact with you, and then just... be still.

It is not just about chasing them round, it is about the immediate and rewarding release of pressure.

Orchard14

Visit site
Oh I am sympathising with you so much right now. I used to have this problem with my horse - I bought her as a yearling knowing she was a bit headcollar shy but I was always able to catch her by just being quiet, slow and giving her a treat. It was all going so well she became completely confident with the headcollar and I thought I'd solved it. Then I made the stupid mistake of trying to put a fly mask on her in the field and that was it then - I couldn't get within 50 yards of her :rolleyes:. I spent 5 hours walking after her with food not letting her go near the other horses or stop and eat but had to give up due to lack of light, after trying and failing for days I finally caught her the next week by opening the gate and letting her follow me to the stable where I left a leather headcollar on. It was the most frustrating and upsetting thing that I've ever gone through with horses (so I guess I'm pretty lucky in that respect). Over time it got easier as she learned to trust me and the headcollar again and now she's back to being a straight forward grab and go. It was probably easier for me because I had a horse that actually wanted to be with you but just didn't trust the headcollar. I can't be much more help other than saying I feel your pain.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You will have to reduce the size of the field until he needs you for food and water .
My second pony was like this you had to catch her twice a day every day 365 days a year or else she went feral .
We arranged the field so we could herd her into a stable .

Leo Walker

Visit site
You will have to reduce the size of the field until he needs you for food and water .
My second pony was like this you had to catch her twice a day every day 365 days a year or else she went feral .
We arranged the field so we could herd her into a stable .

Its pretty extreme, but if you can get him somewhere on his own then you can take him water several times a day. It means he has to come to you if he wants a drink. Same with hay/feed. If you could do that for a few weeks it might retrain him to associate being caught as a positive thing. I guess it depends how fed up and/or desperate you are!

ihatework

Visit site
What sort of acreage is he in and with how many others?

I assume he is just the same with other people trying to catch him?

It’s a damn annoying habit, you might need to really change things around for a bit, although this will probably be a lifelong challenge to a greater or lesser extent.

Years ago I had one on loan that was a bit of a nightmare - YO had a collie that used to round her up for us. Highly effective, but probably not the ‘done thing’ 😂

TPO

Visit site
Field safe halter with some plaited baler twine from the ring so you can get a hold when you're close.

I bought a mare that was sold as tricky to catch and my record was 5hrs to walk her down (excluding the day I had to give up she stayed out alone).

I went to watch a Richard Maxwell demo about 10yrs ago and that was my lightbulb moment with her. I started practising what he'd been demonstrating and didn't have a problem catching again. On a bad day she'd duck to the side, I'd step out and she'd stop and face me. Learn to control quarters and shoulders, get horse stepping away from pressure, turning on forehand/quarters etc. The more (correct) groundwork you do the easier she will be to catch. The stuff I saw at the RM demo was nothing new and things I already knew but for unknown reasons I hadn't spent enough time working on that aspect of things and instead tried to crack the "tricky to ride"/bucks like a bronc issues. Funnily enough <sarcastic tone at my expense> when I improved the groundwork EVERYTHING improved...

I'd also spend time catching her, petting/giving a treat and then letting her go again

I think there are bigger issues and/or smaller issues that have built up into this bigger issue. E.G a horse you've had since weaning you should know for definite re rope issues and if there is even a shadow of doubt get working on it until horse is 100% confident around ropes and having ropes around it. Again the RM books (especially Training Your Young Horse for desensitising exercises) have lots of exercises for "bombproofing" horses and getting them moving calmly etc

I don't know your area but western trainers are generally pretty good at groundwork training. Geography isn't my strong point but some of the following might be in your area: Joe Midgely, Guy Robertson, Alan Payne, Andrew Plant, Lee Rutter, Emma Chapman or Ross Cooper. Guy and Joe also do demos/clinics fairly regularly. Richard Maxwell is also back on the road doing demos so there might be one in your area soon

Jinx94

Visit site
Thanks guys. Red-1, I really appreciate how detailed your post is.

I do feel the need to point out that this has not gradually come about. When I say he has been foot perfect to catch for the last two years, I mean it. He went feral when he arrived, and because I had so much trouble I worked really, really hard on groundwork and spent a ridiculous length of time desensitising him to ropes.

He's on grass livery in an 8 acre field with 3 others. In terms of rearranging fields/fencing off sections, I can only do what my YOs will allow.

I work, I have exams coming up, I cannot spend 5 hours a day trying to catch this thing. I am trying so hard to take all advice on board, but as I'm currently sat in the middle of a field in tears, it's a little difficult.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I sympathise I can still remember the horror of my pony .
It was no fun at all.
What’s your plan for the pony .

Jinx94

Visit site
I sympathise I can still remember the horror of my pony .
It was no fun at all.
What’s your plan for the pony .

Right now, I have no idea. I'm going to have to figure out something in the next few weeks though as he'll need his feet doing again. I don't know if moving yards would be a good idea - even if the setup makes managing this easier, I worry that the disruption could make him even worse.

I did speak to my YO about putting him in with the other boys. He's out with 2yos and I wonder if putting him out with mature horses might make a difference. She's quite anti that at the moment though as the other field can't cope with another horse. The plan had been to chuck him out with them in a couple of months when they've been moved and the yearling gets moved into the "adolescent" group.

ETA tethering/hobbling/never turning him out again have all crossed my mind, but I don't think they're appropriate!

alexomahony

Visit site
So, with my sometimes naughty to catch pony, when he's feeling that way out, I tie a long piece of rope/fencing to the fence near a corner, lay it on the ground out in a straight line parallel to the adjacent fence line.

Then I walk my horse into the 'trap' and once he's between the fence and the rope on the ground, I lift the rope up so he's in a 'tunnel'. Mine is pretty good at knowing he's pretty much caught then, so gives in, but to begin with he had a bit of a tantrum about it (gutted I'd out-smarted him no doubt!)

I'm not sure how feral your horse is, but if you can walk about 1-2 meters behind him without him full on galloping off, this may work quite well :)

Annagain

Visit site
This worked for my old boy, but I think the issue with him was slightly different as he saw catching as a game and the more I walked down (or chased in his eyes) the more he enjoyed it. You may as well give it a try though. 9 times out of 10 he would come to call, but when he decided he wanted some fun, he'd be a nightmare. He'd trot round me in 5m circles and the second I took a step towards him, he'd be off. You could almost see him sticking two fingers up at you and laughing.

You need a bucket of feed, a chair and a book. Make sure the bucket is tall enough that he can't get his head into it when it's under the chair and if possible use a strong smelling feed that you know he likes. Get his attention by rattling the bucket and make sure he knows there's nice stuff in it, even if you put it on the floor, let him have a mouthful and then go and pick it up - it doesn't matter if he runs away at this point, don't focus on him, just get the bucket. Put the bucket under the chair, sit on the chair and read your look. Totally ignore him, don't even look at him. Normally within 10 minutes my old boy would be there desperate to get to the bucket, at which point I'd get up grab the bucket and chair and walk away. He didn't even get a mouthful of the feed. After 2 or 3 days of this, he'd be at the gate as soon as he saw me and I've have no more trouble for months.

It's not a normal method but it really worked with my boy.

cundlegreen

Visit site
If all avenues are exhausted, try this. Short piece of stirrup leather fastened around one foreleg, just above the fetlock. Piece of plaited baler twine approx 2-3 foot long. tie on end to the stirrup leather, drill large hole through a 2 ft piece of 4x2 timber and tie other end to that. The idea is, as he goes to walk off, he stands on the timber and that stops him in his tracks. I cured a feral exmoor pony in one day with this method. With hobbles on, he just cantered off. So, no pressure, but once he's stopping, get hold of him, reward, let go, and repeat. He'll soon get the hang of it. Now waiting for the animal rights people to come out of the woodwork!

D66

Visit site
You need a bucket of feed, a chair and a book. Make sure the bucket is tall enough that he can't get his head into it when it's under the chair and if possible use a strong smelling feed that you know he likes. Get his attention by rattling the bucket and make sure he knows there's nice stuff in it, even if you put it on the floor, let him have a mouthful and then go and pick it up - it doesn't matter if he runs away at this point, don't focus on him, just get the bucket. Put the bucket under the chair, sit on the chair and read your look. Totally ignore him, don't even look at him. Normally within 10 minutes my old boy would be there desperate to get to the bucket, at which point I'd get up grab the bucket and chair and walk away. He didn't even get a mouthful of the feed. After 2 or 3 days of this, he'd be at the gate as soon as he saw me and I've have no more trouble for months.

I did something similar with a yearling, but I was able to take the other horses out first. sat on a chair in the field with a book and a bucket of carrots under the chair, throw a carrot towards the horse so they know what you've got and then wait for them to come to you. Don't try to catch them the first day, you want them to be confident around you.

Annagain

Visit site
I did something similar with a yearling, but I was able to take the other horses out first. sat on a chair in the field with a book and a bucket of carrots under the chair, throw a carrot towards the horse so they know what you've got and then wait for them to come to you. Don't try to catch them the first day, you want them to be confident around you.

Yes, I meant with the other horses out - unless them sniffing round the bucket will encourage him to come and look too.

Peter7917

Visit site
I personally would move yards. I have one who is perfect to catch, however I know if I turned him out on eight acres of good grazing then this would likely change! I like horses in small paddocks so they want to come in for a handful of chaff etc, if they have endless lush green grub where they are then there is less of an incentive to come in.

Leandy

Visit site
Does he still have the headcollar on? Is it possibly rubbing him? Our easy peasy to handle mare refused to be caught when we came back from our summer holidays last year which was completely out of character. It turned out the fly-mask she was wearing had slipped and was digging into her ear and had caused a sore. Once we got that off she was wary of the ear being touched for a couple of days but otherwise back to her normal civilised self. The yard were supposed to have been checking her but obviously no one had properly checked the fly mask. I think it must have been quite painful for her but you wouldn't have noticed from a distance.

Goldenstar

Visit site
This worked for my old boy, but I think the issue with him was slightly different as he saw catching as a game and the more I walked down (or chased in his eyes) the more he enjoyed it. You may as well give it a try though. 9 times out of 10 he would come to call, but when he decided he wanted some fun, he'd be a nightmare. He'd trot round me in 5m circles and the second I took a step towards him, he'd be off. You could almost see him sticking two fingers up at you and laughing.

If all avenues are exhausted, try this. Short piece of stirrup leather fastened around one foreleg, just above the fetlock. Piece of plaited baler twine approx 2-3 foot long. tie on end to the stirrup leather, drill large hole through a 2 ft piece of 4x2 timber and tie other end to that. The idea is, as he goes to walk off, he stands on the timber and that stops him in his tracks. I cured a feral exmoor pony in one day with this method. With hobbles on, he just cantered off. So, no pressure, but once he's stopping, get hold of him, reward, let go, and repeat. He'll soon get the hang of it. Now waiting for the animal rights people to come out of the woodwork!

Both of these are worth trying .
I would be looking at a more traditional set up with stables and strict routine in and out every day .
But you need to catch him first .
I can remember the frustration with my pony so well .