Still more bitting issues!

J_sarahd

Visit site
I recently changed Badger from a NS tranz angled full cheek to a loose ring happy tongue as he was putting his tongue over the bit in the NS. With the bomber, he kept it under but he kept flinging his head around, breaks were nearly non-existent (don’t think he’s learnt to stop by seat so I’ve had to occasionally back it up with a half halt which makes him fling his head) and he just leant on it a lot. He didn’t feel right. So I put him back in the NS the other day and he was much softer and easier to ride and we had a canter that was actually really nice. But he put his tongue back under (it was higher in his mouth than previous).

Not sure what to do? Do I go back to the bomber and just hope it works? Is there another bit anyone recommends? Do I fork out for a different bridle (e.g a Micklem?) he’s going so well, with everything, except his bit!

Teeth has been checked and saddle is getting checked soon.

Annagain

Visit site
Archie use to get his tongue over the bit. It took me ages to find a bit we were both happy with. In his case, it was a Myler mullen mouth hanging cheek. I think he likes it as it's a very still, consistent bit. It might suit Badger but ultimately it's a case of trial and error which is both time consuming and expensive. Renting them from somewhere like the bit bank is a good option. You just have to keep going until you find the right one.

A Micklem also made a big difference to Arch but it doesn't necessarily have that effect on every horse. I'd see if you can borrow one (or hire one from hire-a-micklem) to try. From speaking to people, it either makes no difference at all or it makes a huge difference, there's no in between. My instructor thinks horses who like a still bit like Micklems as it holds the bit stiller than other bridles. It certainly seems to be true in Arch's case.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Archie use to get his tongue over the bit. It took me ages to find a bit we were both happy with. In his case, it was a Myler mullen mouth hanging cheek. I think he likes it as it's a very still, consistent bit. It might suit Badger but ultimately it's a case of trial and error which is both time consuming and expensive. Renting them from somewhere like the bit bank is a good option. You just have to keep going until you find the right one.

A Micklem also made a big difference to Arch but it doesn't necessarily have that effect on every horse. I'd see if you can borrow one (or hire one from hire-a-micklem) to try. From speaking to people, it either makes no difference at all or it makes a huge difference, there's no in between. My instructor thinks horses who like a still bit like Micklems as it holds the bit stiller than other bridles. It certainly seems to be true in Arch's case.

Ah, yeah I’ve messaged the bit bank to see if they’ll get back to me with any recommendations. I just don’t know where to start - I’m not exactly the most clued up on bits and i already feel bad for the bits he’s had that he clearly doesn’t like for one reason or another. My instructor thinks he’s been forced into an outline, which is why he puts his tongue over, to get away from the pressure.

I might look into hiring one! It’s a lot of money, if it doesn’t end up working. Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of people say they work for their horse putting the tongue over the bit, which is why I thought to try it. But as well, a lot of people don’t rate it

Trules

Visit site
I’d be tempted to try a micklem bridle. My horse is fussy in the contact and gets her tongue over every bit, no matter the noseband, but she is more settled in the micklem and her tongue stays put (most of the time). X

J_sarahd

Visit site
Bit bank got back to me and recommended the bomber loose ring ported bit. Looking at it, I’m not sure how different it is to the happy mouth (like I said, not good with bits!). Can anyone help?

J_sarahd

Visit site
I’d be tempted to try a micklem bridle. My horse is fussy in the contact and gets her tongue over every bit, no matter the noseband, but she is more settled in the micklem and her tongue stays put (most of the time). X

I might see if I can hire one then, as this sounds like Badger