Still seriously out of pocket!

Gamebird

Visit site
I am currently waiting for approx. £200 of BE/bdwp refunds for cancelled/balloted events. I CAN'T ENTER ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL I GET THIS MONEY! :mad::mad::mad:

Stafford were the absolute stars with the money arriving less than a week after their on-the-day cancellation. Draycott are currently top of my blacklist as they cancelled roughly a month ago and the event would have taken place (had it run) nearly two weeks ago.

I know everyone's in the same boat but this season I refuse to use my credit card to bridge the gap. I have two fit horses that I'd love to enter up, but until funds are returned to me they'll be staying at home. If it takes this long to refund money then the system is flawed.

It's utterly unsustainable. With the entries happening so far ahead even if they give me my money back this week It will still be the end of May before I get another run.

Last edited:

JustKickOn

Visit site
Have you given a tactical bit of pester power a go?
Phone calls, e-mails and keep on at them to get their refunds sorted asap.

Hope you get the money back soon!

Gamebird

Visit site
I'm a notoriously tight Scot/Yorkshirewoman. Purloin my money at your peril!

Plus, if I got my money back I could afford some more lessons! ;)

alwaysbroke

Visit site
I was very impressed by Stafford and how quickly the money was refunded.

Numpty question when you enter does the money go straight to the organiser, or is it 'held' by BDWP/BE, or are refunds made via the insurance?

Kraft

Visit site
I sent an email this morning to the organiser (well the persons email address on BDWP) of Draycott asking where my refund was and the answer i got was 'they are waiting for funds to be relased from BE'

NOT impressed as Draycott abandoned 2 weeks before it was meant to go ahead!!!

HazyXmas

Visit site
We had two entered at Swalcliff, i don't think that i've had the money back, certainly not had an email to say that it's been refunded but haven't actually checked my bank account. Has anyone else had a refund from Swalcliff?

The best lot were Solihull, they postponed the Jump Training Finals & the money was refunded the same day. Well done to Solihull :)

Gamebird

Visit site
Woo hoo. Have just received Hambleden refund. They can join Stafford at the top of my 'nice people' list (though they'd have been nicer if I'd got in... ;)).

Now not quite so seriously out of pocket. Come on Draycott!! :mad:

noname

Visit site
I'm still waiting on swalcliffe and ascott refunds! I am losing the will to live. Not had a single run yet. I don't think its very good of BE / organisers to take over a month for a refund!

If solihull gets rained off on saturday, I will go nuts. I can only fit in broaway, ascott 2 and west wilts so a total waste of BE membership.

Why can't events be rescheduled?

Rosiefan

Visit site
I can understand why some events can't reschedule - use of land for stock etc. - but I can't see why some events are so much more efficient at refunds than others.
There's a post on the BE forum about it here.

LCH611

Visit site
I don't know enough about how refunds work for a cancelled event, but there is quite a protracted process that has to be gone through with the insurers.

Nonmae events can only be rescheduled if it works for both the landowner & organiser & BE's schedule. Understandably events that already have a slot don't want to lose half their potential income to a clashing event as riders can't compete in two places the same weekend

dominobrown

Visit site
I know where you are coming from. I hate having to enter so far in advance, I entered Burgham, to be told that I needed to work that weekend, but I having being trying to withdraw for 2 days, with no response, reply, no one answering phones, to have the money taken out of my account for it yesterday, but I have managed to get the weekend after off work, but will struggle to afford to enter Richmond without my money from burgham. Arrrghhh!
Why can't entries be 1 or 2 weeks in advance, I really struggle to get weekends off work, and work can't plan that far ahead, and then its a faff to withdraw. :(

Horsemad12

Visit site
Sorry I am just in shock that you don't use for credit card for eventing - mine seems to be getting a hammering at the moment!

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I'm in the same situation with Draycott. Only entered 80 as cheaper to run on a training ticket than do the 90 on a ticket - bit of a fun run. But I want my money back!!

This really isn't making me want to join BE, think I will stick with BS and turn up when I want without having to hang about for money.

Sorry BE a big thumbs down.

Gamebird

Visit site
Sorry I am just in shock that you don't use for credit card for eventing - mine seems to be getting a hammering at the moment!

Been there, done that. Ended up with a large balance to pay off. Refuse to put myself in debt any longer to fund my hobby! So far the resolution is not paying off!

MegaBeast

Visit site
Do BE really hold the money? Or is it just the online payments that get held? I did a (very) late entry for Sapey and sent the organisers a cheque that was payable to themselves... so far that cheque has not been cashed so I'm not sure what is happening with refunds for cancellation etc. Somewhat frustratingly, the cheque would have arrived the very morning the event was cancelled! I'm having to keep a close eye on my account for when it gets cashed as keep assuming I have more money than I really have!

Gamebird

Visit site
I don't know MB, but last season I similarly did a v late entry for an event that hada closed, then it cancelled (Malpas?). They cashed my cheque about a week after the event should have been, then a couple of weeks later sent me a cheque refund (minus abandonment fee).

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Dominobrown if you withdraw after ballot date and there is no waitlist do you not lose your entry fee anyway?

GB I feel your pain had this happen so many times last year and part of the reason I have not rejoined this time!!

dominobrown

Visit site
I can't go anyways, entries are still open, and if my 'entry' is filled by another horse I get my money back -£12 or something? The withdrawal date is the 30th so I am well inside that?

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I can't go anyways, entries are still open, and if my 'entry' is filled by another horse I get my money back -£12 or something? The withdrawal date is the 30th so I am well inside that?

I see they say WD before late entry will get 50% back. Which is better than some. They are still only just over half full though. They could run 600+ and still sitting only in the low 300s for entries. So I am not sure if they will count future entries as replacing withdrawals until they are full but I could be wrong. Hopefully they will prove one of the good guys! :)