Stirrup cleaning hacks please?

SOS

Visit site
I’m fed up of cleaning stirrups, I loathe it. Specifically stirrup treads. I forgot how much I hated it until this time of year, when despite only wearing riding boots to ride, the stirrup treads get wet and muddy from then. I dream of disposable stirrups treads so I don’t have to clean them.

Current method for cleaning properly is dunk in warm soapy water, scrub with nail brush. Looks clean. Leave to dry. Next day when dry realise all I have done is spread the mud around. Repeat until lose mind.

There has to be a hack!!

Rosie

Visit site
I’m fed up of cleaning stirrups, I loathe it. Specifically stirrup treads. I forgot how much I hated it until this time of year, when despite only wearing riding boots to ride, the stirrup treads get wet and muddy from then. I dream of disposable stirrups treads so I don’t have to clean them.

Current method for cleaning properly is dunk in warm soapy water, scrub with nail brush. Looks clean. Leave to dry. Next day when dry realise all I have done is spread the mud around. Repeat until lose mind.

There has to be a hack!!
I've always just left mine to soak in water over night the wipe them down the next day... I wish it was easier too!

teapot

Visit site
Wire brush for the treads :)

(and harsh spray your boots before getting on if you can get on on concrete/surface)

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I don’t clean my stirrups?! I’ve got cheese grater style. I keep in fleece covers when not riding to protect saddle.

If they are muddy I wipe mud off, but rarely notice. No point being immaculate as I put my muddy feet on them.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Put them in the dishwasher?
I see others beat me to that idea.

I've never had such a problem with mucky stirrup irons and treads, though.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I never clean stirrups really, they don’t seem to get muddy. Perhaps that’s because I don’t get off in the mud? Dunno. But if I want to get the treads white I use toothpaste and a nail brush.

SOS

Visit site
I think my threads must be worse than others then. They are black and have tiny little deep squares. They do get muddy despite me changing my boots and never doing chores in my riding boots, at home I always get on in the dry and away from home I try not to walk around much.

We don’t have a dishwasher - yet!! My mother is giving me one for Christmas, another reason to get excited for it.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Swap to brown treads? ?
On a more serious note, I've found that the ones with lines rather than squares are a bit easier to clean, fewer crevices.

Northern Hare

Visit site
If you get on with a mounting block, what about having a plastic bristled door mat next to the mounting block so you can give the soles of your boots a good brush before mounting? ?

Cowpony

Visit site
I dunk mine in the water bucket whenever I clean my saddle. Leave them in there for 10 minutes, then scrub.

Last edited:

Carrottom

Visit site
I just worked out that the treads on my saddle are about 30 years old, I doubt they have been cleaned properly for the last 20 ? I don't think there are any crevices left to trap dirt. If the stirrups are muddy I wash them under a running tap and dry with a soft cloth.

J&S

Visit site
Now I no longer compete I really dont clean the stirrup irons or treads. I do change into riding boots and mount from concrete though so not much need.

SOS

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I’m gonna wait until my dishwasher comes and try that!

I am very strict on my horse and tack turnout nowadays so everything has to be clean… even stirrup treads!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I’m gonna wait until my dishwasher comes and try that!

I am very strict on my horse and tack turnout nowadays so everything has to be clean… even stirrup treads!
I obsess over my horses mental and physical well being, the state of his hooves, his muscles, his diet. Not do much over his cleanliness or cleanliness of equipment.

SOS

Visit site
I obsess over my horses mental and physical well being, the state of his hooves, his muscles, his diet. Not do much over his cleanliness or cleanliness of equipment.

What an odd comment… my horse can be in perfect mental and physical well being etc. Whilst being clean and his tack being clean. Some would argue making sure a horse is clean and his tack is clean is important to their health.

Im not choosing to clean my stirrups over feeding him for goodness sake.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
What an odd comment… my horse can be in perfect mental and physical well being etc. Whilst being clean and his tack being clean. Some would argue making sure a horse is clean and his tack is clean is important to their health.

Im not choosing to clean my stirrups over feeding him for goodness sake.

As an example, in winter when it’s wet, if you allow a horse a decent amount of turnout time with friends, it isn’t practical or healthy to have them always immaculate when ridden.

SOS

Visit site
As an example, in winter when it’s wet, if you allow a horse a decent amount of turnout time with friends, it isn’t practical or healthy to have them always immaculate when ridden.

My horse is currently turned out 24/7. When he comes in to ride he gets a thorough groom which removes uncomfortable mud, allows me to check for any cuts/grazes and stops his skin scabbing from sweating onto dirt. His legs and feet are scrubbed, dried and talc’d to allow me to check them and apply hoof moisturising products. Quite often I will also hot cloth him to remove dust. The extra 20 mins or less this takes me before riding I don’t believe negatively impacts the horse.

I wash my rugs regularly to stop them rubbing my horse, I clean my tack after every ride to check it’s in working order and clean for the horse next time, never would I put tack on a horse with dried sweat/dirt… these have the benefit of presenting clean and tidy at all times but are also benefit my horse.

Regandal

Visit site
My horse is currently turned out 24/7. When he comes in to ride he gets a thorough groom which removes uncomfortable mud, allows me to check for any cuts/grazes and stops his skin scabbing from sweating onto dirt. His legs and feet are scrubbed, dried and talc’d to allow me to check them and apply hoof moisturising products. Quite often I will also hot cloth him to remove dust. The extra 20 mins or less this takes me before riding I don’t believe negatively impacts the horse.

I wash my rugs regularly to stop them rubbing my horse, I clean my tack after every ride to check it’s in working order and clean for the horse next time, never would I put tack on a horse with dried sweat/dirt… these have the benefit of presenting clean and tidy at all times but are also benefit my horse.
Wish I had half your energy. I clean where the tack goes and that’s about it.