stirrup iron pads; rubber or metal?

G8Gatsby

Visit site
Hello, I am in the process of upgrading from my basic wintec AP to a custom jump and dressage saddle. I just have the basic Wintec webbers and a cheap pair of stainless steel irons and rubber pads currently. However, since I'll have to be buying at minimum one new set of irons and leathers, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the various designs. Do the stirrups with a slightly wider area for your foot actually help? I've also heard the metal grate looking pads can be better than rubber, especially if they have any chance of getting wet. (I do eventing so there is a chance of water). I generally don't have a problem with losing my stirrups, but I'm game to try something new if it could potentially help with stability or comfort. I've also seen how the wider leathers seem to be becoming more comfortable, I personally don't see the attraction or reasoning, so if someone could explain that'd be great. Thanks!

Batgirl

Visit site
I am a big advocate for turned stirrups as there is always a small turning pressure on your leg on normal stirrups.

I like my Royal Rider Evo 80 - they have a nice big tread and they are kinder to my knees :)

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I have offset Sprengers with flexible sides and cheese grater treads. I think the treads really help to keep a hold of my foot and the offset eye means the stirrup is always there waiting for me, they are expensive, but you only need to buy them once, I've had mine about 10 years.

Last edited:

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I bought a pair of Premier Equine Jopollos, which have a wide cheese grater tread. This has really helped my ankles, I don’t get a full ache anymore!
I did worry about how grippy the treads would be and how quickly your foot would come out but after a near miss I now know that your foot doesn’t get stuck on the tread ?
I had the plastic compositi stirrups but they just didn’t offer enough support