Stirrup leathers .... I'm going mad !!!

wallykissmas

Visit site
3rd time lucky at trying to get some correct fitting leathers..... First pair lady in the shop convinced me 48 inches was short enough for jumping but long enough for dressage.... Got them home and they were short on the longest hole.

Purchased some 54inches online, took them to the yard and put them on the saddle far too long, resided it was me being difficult and punched some hole into them but don't feel that they are equal no matter how hard I tried to get them. Happened to measure them today to see if it was me ..... No they are 62 inches. No wonder I have a complex about them. Really does any one have a 67" leg !!!! :eek:

Now I'm going mad, what size does the average non leggy female use ?? And Am I right in saying the sizing are at their longest ??

Copperpot

Visit site
I use 48" for jumping and 60" on dressage saddle. Took some back today cos were too long even on shortest hole. It's a pain getting them "just" right isn't it :)

asmp

Visit site
I have short legs so asked my saddler to make some adult width ones but child length - problem solved as I was getting fed up on punching holes to shorten in normal adult size. They weren't very expensive either.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine are 54 inches, I could drop them down more holes if needed and I'm quite tall at 5'10. I'd suggest going to a decent tack shop.

MrsHutt

Visit site
I have a 'normal' length leg - I would have 'long' at M&S for trousers worn with a heel and 'med' for flatties, if that's any help! I'm 5'9".

I have 2 sets of leathers - the 64" are ok on the shortest hole, but we have added some more as other people with shorter legs (!) ride with them.

I also have some 54" which are perfect in hole 7 (of 12).

I thought the measurement was the actual length of the the leather from buckle to point???

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I've a similar problem. Bought some new ones today, was told 54" is fine for most people and that is the longest they stock usually .I'm only 5'6" but have long legs. I've got them on hole no. 2 , but hey at least I know they'll be OK for jumping!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have 64" ones on my dressage saddle and I'm nowhere near the top hole (about halfway). I'm 5'8 though reasonably long in the leg - as in standard length trousers just do not work :mad: Even "long" length in some shops is too short (which is absurd as I'm not particularly tall and not leggy in a glamorous "legs up to here" sense).

i have 54"s on my vsd and 58"s on my wh - which work fine - the 54"s aren't on the top hole at xc length and reach my flatting length in the vsd. The 58s top hole is a bit long for real xc but works fine as I only use it on the cob or for showing.

dafthoss

Visit site
I have some 54's that I had to punch 3 extra holes in for jumping and then a further 2 for when he was ready to be ridden xc proper xc length and I was flat working on 13 of 16 of the original holes. I'm only 5'2 though and when I brought some 48's when I got a dressage saddle they came in childs width so I decided against using them for xc and put them on my dressage saddle and I think they are on hole 4 or 5.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I say, will you be needing a twist on Friday? :p

(if you still want to ride my knobhead of a pony, that is)

dafthoss

Visit site
I think I might be :eek::p Or I may just bring my own leathers and stirups so I dont look like I escaped from the local riding school :cool: although I will be commiting the ultimate sin and having un matching leathers :eek:.

Yeah course I'm still up for it, I'm really looking forward to it :D Do you need proper directions?

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think I might be :eek::p Or I may just bring my own leathers and stirups so I dont look like I escaped from the local riding school :cool: although I will be commiting the ultimate sin and having un matching leathers :eek:.

Yeah course I'm still up for it, I'm really looking forward to it :D Do you need proper directions?

Haha yes you will either be unmatchy or an RS-lookeylikey :D:D:D

Awesome, wouldn't mind some directions or I might end up in Wales :eek:

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I'm 5'9" and take long lengths in trousers (although most of the time, even "long" isn't long enough) and have Barnsby leathers which were made for the MEN of the Household Calvary!!! They were 62" when I first bought them but think they may have stretched some. I never buy leathers under 62" as I like to have a bit of excess for put in the stirrup leather keeper and be somewhere around the middle in holes.

fabscd

Visit site
I'm 5'6.5", my jumping leathers are 48" and the leathers on my dressage saddle are about 50". I tend to ride shorter rather than longer, but i struggle to get hold of leathers that are short enough without being childs leathers. Most of the standard stirrup leathers are 54" or above.

rossiroo

Visit site
Try the leathers with a nylon core wrapped in soft leather, they are really comfortable and don't stretch at all, Bates do really nice ones.

Deseado

Visit site
I'm 5' 9" and have stupidly long legs, so have to get leathers made (62") as I also ride very long, even by dressage standards. Don't like riding on anything above a middle hole (not near the end, in other words).