Stirrup warning!

Redders

Visit site
So, I bought some stirrup irons from a small time tack shop, sells second hand and new. The stirrups were new, Unbranded but reasonable price and as I was buying them new from a reputable shop I snapped them up, been fine out hacking, with lots of trot and canter (the odd gallop!) for about 2 months. Today I am having a lesson getting my young mate to work out how to canter off correct aids and balances, so cue bouncing and the odd buck as she working it out, rushing etc (def no pain, everything has been checked, just a case of not really understanding where her legs go yet!) AND PING! The stirrup snaps at the loop where the leather goes through, snapped in three pieces mid canter! Didn't fall off, if anything made me sit deeper as I knew I had no stirrup so she actually went nicer! HOWEVER, besides the point! Could have been disastrous has if been a less forgiving horse, over a jump, on a hack etc. so a little warning, even if you but from a proper shop like I did, make sure you know what you are getting! The consequences can be far too high!

Equi

Visit site
It is one of those freak things, its not going to happen because it was unbranded or cheaper. I've heard lots of the more expensive brands snapping too. Just a litle blip in the particular stirrup. Glad you sat it and your horse was fine with it, though :)

asmp

Visit site
The moral of the story being, always check your tack, every time you put it on/off. Glad you and mare survived the experience intact.

Re: checking your tack - daughter competed at a PC HT at the weekend and the tack inspection lady checked the stitching on her stirrup leathers ! A first for us (they were fine)