stirrups and stirrup leathers

Tufty

Visit site
what are the nicest stirrup leathers to buy and what stirrup irons are best for keeping your heels down ? I was asked this question today on my yard and I could not answer it - is there such a thing as a stirrup iron that helps keep your heels down

CastleMouse

Visit site
Mountain Horse SCS system stirrups are meant to help you maintain a good lower leg position
smile.gif
Quite pricey though!

poggio

Visit site
agree the prestige stirrup leathers are nice, ive got some Bates ones too and they're lovely.

A lot of people use the Sprenger strirrup irons and find them great but not everyone gets on with them. I won a pair at an event and I do really like them, they ease the strain on your ankles quite a bit - but be wary of using them just to 'keep your heels down' that all comes down to your general balance in the saddle.

You can also buy cheaper versions of sprenger stirrups but they don't have as many flexible links under the rubber tube. I think Shires do them.

flyingfeet

Visit site
There is a polymer stirrup available called "Choose you position" made by Cavallo in Italy.

With these you use an allen key to alter the tread of the stirrup to any angle you like. It could actually to be used to fix floppy ankles mentioned above!

Leathers-wise I recommend a bonded leather (nylon core with leather / calf skin outer). Very nice ones made by Amerigo, Henri de rivel, Bates, JW, Jaguar etc

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Your choice of leathers very much depends on the discipline you are into. There are normal all purpose leathers & there are 'webbers' that get rid of the buckle under your saddle flap so you get a better leg contact. As to the make, just choose a good quality pair as cheap ones tend to stretch.

Regarding stirrups, some people like the bendy irons or the more expensive Sprenger ones. Either on allows your ankle to bend easier & keeps your ankle down. Both types are on thjis link.

http://www.townfields.com/stirrup.htm
smile.gif