Stirrups not hanging level on saddle

On the Hoof

Visit site
so I have a problem with losing the left stirrup and its clear to me that I put more weight in my right stirrup and that I dont hold my left leg in same position as the right - it keeps moving back too far (hip replacements means I will never be quite even on this score) - and that is probably the problem. Also saddle sometimes slips to right. My fault again ?

BUT recently I have realised that my stirrups are not level I had always had the feeling that the right was longer but thought it was me but it seems it is anyway- the right one is much lower than the left on the same hole, even when horse stands square and saddle is dead centre. (Trainer has checked this while im on board). I have measured the current leathers (which are 6 months old and are supposedly no stretch ones (!) and it is the left (as we would normally expect) which is fractionally longer than the right, so how come the right stirrup hangs lower? (with or without my feet in them). I have now swopped the leathers over and put the right stirrup up a hole to try and get it level.
Someone coming out to check horses back next week and they can also look at saddle fit, but I think the problem may be a mixture of ME and something wrong with my saddle ? How would I check the saddle bars ? Can there be a problem with these even if tree is not twisted (and I need to find out how to check this ). Im a relatively new rider and dont know much about saddles as you can probably tell from my post...:)
Any other ideas

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Your saddle or your horse, probably both are compensating for your unevenness. It could be that the flocking is more compact on the side you put more weight on or the horse could have muscle wastage on that side. I would have the saddler very regularly along with a good physio for you and the horse to help with these issues.

If non stretched leathers have stretched, I would return them. I never swap mine around and they have never stretched (I also don't mount from the ground so there should be no reason for them to stretch).

On the Hoof

Visit site
thanks FW, I never mount from the ground either (its impossible for me :) ) - the left leather was only fractionally longer so probably not enough to take them back ? mmm which makes me wonder why it might have stretched at all in first place as I always use mounting block...mmm mystery deepens

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
I had this problem for awhile when I started riding again after an 8 year break and I think Ffion covered all the causes :) For me it was a combination of:

-weaker left leg
-horse weaker on that side
-wore my stirrups far too long which was encouraging me to push my feet down into them, and my left is slightly longer!
-saddle not really the best for either me or the horse
-me being generally unfit and unbalanced

The saddle I replaced pretty quick and noticed a difference but it took some lessons with an instructor and some tips from the saddler before I worked out the whole constellation of issues. Gradually problems like my saddle slipping and my left knee hurting and feeling 'off-center' on the horse went away as we made changes. Hope this helps OP ^ ^

On the Hoof

Visit site
thanks all for your replies. My non stretch leathers were not cheap, although I cannot remember the make, so I think I will take them back FW
FL thanks for your list, pretty sure Im a constellation too! :) However im aware of my left leg weakness and work hard on improving strength of it aswell as core strength, and I think I was wearing my stirrups too long and did plut them up a hole about 6 months ago when got new leathers. Still doesnt explain right side being longer when all square and on same hole though as it was the shorter leather that was longer when on the horse...
thanks AP14, I will contact CremedeMenthe as you suggest.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
OTH I have a problem with one leg feeling longer than the other due to knee surgery. It has affected my riding position and I'm so fed up with not knowing which bit of me is causing my imbalance I have booked myself on a 2 day mechanical horse course at Overdale Equestrian next weekend. They still have 3 places left if it's of interest to you.

JillA

Visit site
Leathers stretch at different rates, especially if, like most people, you are not absolutely symmetrical - always worth swapping them over once a year or so

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My bates non stretch leathers certainly have not stretched. I've got 3 pairs, one pair I use as neck straps and they are all exactly the same length as each other. I never swap them as sprenger stirrups are L and R. Non stretch leathers should not stretch whatever you do with them, otherwise what's the point in paying a premium price for them!

On the Hoof

Visit site
OTH I have a problem with one leg feeling longer than the other due to knee surgery. It has affected my riding position and I'm so fed up with not knowing which bit of me is causing my imbalance I have booked myself on a 2 day mechanical horse course at Overdale Equestrian next weekend. They still have 3 places left if it's of interest to you.

oh cannot go this weekend, but note that BigL's back lady is one of the coaches, might go for steering and symmetry in Sept though - seeing as I seem to be lacking symmetry at the moment :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I cant believe no one has suggested it, but you need to see a physio type person! Mine does me and my horse. I would try and find someone who does that and see what they say.

On the Hoof

Visit site
Thankyou FC, I do have physio on and off and still religiously do the exercises and stretches she taught me following from my hip operation. I like the idea of one person to do me and my horse though..
Cremedemonthe has kindly given me some advice re checking the saddle next and the horse is having her back done on Monday so will take it from there

thankyou all for your thoughts on this

alonerawnut

Visit site
It might be interesting to see if the stirrup bars are sitting at different heights when the saddle's on the horse. You could check this by taking a picture from behind: have two people either side and have them hold their hand flat, level with the stirrup bar.
You might be able to confirm if there's a difference.