Stock pin keeps bending?

Mule

Visit site
I'm wondering can anyone shed any light on why my stock pin keeps bending when I put it through the stock? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if the pin isn't strong enough.
The stock is a light cotton material so I don't think it should be that hard to get it through without damaging it. Would a silk stock work better or could I sharpen the point of the stock pin?

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
You are not alone, mine kept bending too and once bent the bar was too short to catch on to the lock. Mine was cheap, I think the metal was soft. Have given up dressage and don’t have to use one now.

Shay

Visit site
Yes - cheap ones bend. Or are blunt. Or both....

If you sharpen the point it will help for a while but to be honest I just accept that they bend and buy several. As Red says - if its expensive it will get lost!

Otherwise

Visit site
It's the pin, they just aren't up to the job. I've bent so many I've given up and got a pre-tied one, the pin lives on it so I don't have to worry about it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I like the old fashioned ones like this for a proper stock where i'm putting the pin in repeatedly, i find they are quite strong.
I have a ready tied one now, and just use a nice brooch i found on ebay, it's genuine silver with an amber gemstone and much better quality than most equestrian stock pins!
ShowQuest_Plain_Stock_Pin_Gold_3_SHQ1205_grande.jpg

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I once had a collection of antique stock pins. They really aren't expensive (unless you get one encrusted in rubies or something) and they have proper steel pins on them, which do not bend. You can pick them up on ebay sometimes or at antique fairs.

blitznbobs

Visit site
This. Life's too short to tie stocks.

I love tying a stock ... it’s a little thing that gives me pleasure and reminds me I’m off out to do what I love most... but then again I also love clipping and plaiting so I think I’m a little bit gone in the head.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I love tying a stock ... it’s a little thing that gives me pleasure and reminds me I’m off out to do what I love most... but then again I also love clipping and plaiting so I think I’m a little bit gone in the head.

Oh I love a proper stock (oops hunting tie) too, especially the fourfold ones. Sorry I cannot stand ready tied ones :eek:

Mule

Visit site
I have a couple :)

Ps, I don't have any connection with the company, but i like to give a shout out to small businesses when I get great service
Is it possible to keep a silk stock clean? Would it be unwise of me to suggest it to someone as a Christmas present 🤔

silv

Visit site
It seems to be really difficult to buy a decent pin without spending a fortune. All the cheaper ones seem to bend. I have found a couple of brooches in charity shops which have made decent stock pins.