Stockholm/Pine tar?

Tharg

Visit site
How long does it take to dry after it has been applied to the inside of the hoof. Don't get a scattering of dust stuck in it.

Do peeps use ordinary sowing thread for plaits. I am venturing in to the scary world of showing in a months time. I plan on using rubber band then sewing with thread that has been run through bees wax.

Nosey

Visit site
Many years since I have used stockholm tar but seem to remember it taking a while to dry but at least of its been applied well a few bits of dust etc won't do any harm.
Not sure what thread you are describing. I am lazy and rarely plait up properly ie just use bands as i don't show. When I have shown used the proper horsey plaiting thread. Its very thick and strong and (relatively!) easy to work with.

only_me

Visit site
no, stockhlom tar should only take 10/15 minutes to dry
smile.gif

I only use it when stuffing a abcess as then it stops dirt getting in
smile.gif

Tnavas

Visit site
Better for the feet to be dry as the Stockholm tar then goes on evenly - we always used it the night before a show two as the extra layer meant that it stayed on better. Put it on on clean concrete otherwise everything sticks to it.

I buy my thread for plaiting from the saddler - one that actually has a saddler on site - you need strong thread as it is easy to break the thread when sewing.
I also use quilting needles from the saddler as they are great for sewing in plaits, strong and thick so don't break. I've had my needles now for almost 40 years.