Stockland Lovell BE100 plus

Matafleur

Visit site
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me a bit about the event at SL? I was pencilled in for the BE100 at ALW that weekend but I am doing the unaff at ALW this weekend so thought I would try and go somewhere different. Added to that is that fact that SL do the BE100 plus and I am tentatively planning on doing the Novice at Mount Ballen the week after (this is still very subject to change!).

SL is a fairly long trip for me (probably about 2.5 hours) so I'd like it to be worth the drive. I'd like an interesting and educational XC.

I have been to SLM for the Eventer camp but it rained so much the XC course was closed.

Opinions? :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
I like SLM. It rewards bold horses, and although it is always a big bold course, it rides well. I think if you are thinking of moving up to N, it is a good one to run round as an 'upgrade' course - it certainly isn't a first timer's venue!

The SJ will also test you in advance of doing a N!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I really like Stockland Lovell. I have always thought the courses I have jumped have been good flowing courses but I'm told they are the meatiest in the area so a good event to do just before stepping up. There is a v good range of fences including 2 waters.

The dressage is held on about as good/flat field as you are going to get BE to be honest and the showjumping (which is normally v up to height) is on a rather nice surface although some horses can be spooky as the horse walk runs behind a tall hedge on one side of the school. I've not had a problem with this though.

Matafleur

Visit site
I like SLM. It rewards bold horses, and although it is always a big bold course, it rides well. I think if you are thinking of moving up to N, it is a good one to run round as an 'upgrade' course - it certainly isn't a first timer's venue!

The SJ will also test you in advance of doing a N!

Gosh, how big is the SJ?! :D We did a couple of NC's toward the end of last year and I would hope to have done at least one before Mount Ballen. I did Broadway Novice in October which was our first but it feels an age away now! We do a fair bit of BSJA so I don't suffer from SJ nerves as badly as some eventers seem to - if only I could crack the dressage ... :eek:

XC sounds ideal as if we can't manage that confidently then we certainly won't be doing the Novice at MB.

Thanks SC :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
It is big enough! It is also more technical than you may find at other BE events, which is more the point I was making ;)

Matafleur

Visit site
I really like Stockland Lovell. I have always thought the courses I have jumped have been good flowing courses but I'm told they are the meatiest in the area so a good event to do just before stepping up. There is a v good range of fences including 2 waters.

The dressage is held on about as good/flat field as you are going to get BE to be honest and the showjumping (which is normally v up to height) is on a rather nice surface although some horses can be spooky as the horse walk runs behind a tall hedge on one side of the school. I've not had a problem with this though.

Thanks Santa - she can be a spooky little toad but is normally very focussed in the ring. Sounds like it should be a good test :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
I have to say, I've been sadly disappointed this year and last, course builders seem to have abandoned that idea of BE SJ being on a nice figure of 8 and are putting things like dog legs and turnbacks in. Most outrageous if you ask me! :D

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
SLM will set you up for Mount Ballan. I always think Mount Ballan has hideous Sjing so if you think that is fine you will be easily fine at SLM!

Matafleur

Visit site
SLM will set you up for Mount Ballan. I always think Mount Ballan has hideous Sjing so if you think that is fine you will be easily fine at SLM!

:eek: You've frightened me! I haven't been to Mount Ballen before (but have been told that XC is lovely hence tentative Novice choice). Am I going to get a terrible shock in the SJ there? I love related distances, doubles etc, not so good at long runs to large oxers! :eek:

LEC

www.youtube.com
Its jump for joy jumps and the field they have used for last 3 years is on a slight slope. They just build it very BSJA and I think because the poles are lighter the jumps look bigger. The xc is nice though!

Matafleur

Visit site
Ah, ok :) for some reason I thought the SJ was on a surface at Mount Ballen? I must have made that up in my head :rolleyes: wouldn't be the first time.

Good to hear the XC is nice though :)

LEC

www.youtube.com
Dressage is held in big arena and all warm ups are held on surfaces for Dr and Sjing.

eckles

Visit site
Looking at the Mount Ballan schedule, the dressage has been moved to grass and the SJ to the arena this year. I haven't been before, but am planning to to the novice this year.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
SJing at Mount Ballen was in the arena last year and dressage on grass. Nice course well up to height but fair, surface is the best around.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Yep, Mount Ballan have moved the showjumping into the main arena (the surface is computer controlled according to the weather!!) and last year they used the nice "traditional" wooden BE jumps not jump for joy. But be warned, they do build decent meaty courses.