Stockland Lovell ODE (Unaffil)

MegaBeast

Visit site
Sorry, yet another MegaBeast deliveration about where to go....

following on from my musings re Pontispool and Hilltops, my boss has offered to do the horses for me 13th june so I could potentially do the Stockland Lovell ODE as recommended by several of you lovely people.

So, question is, do I do the 2'6-2'9 option or the 2'9-3.0'? Anyone know the difference between the two courses? Would the latter be basically the BE Intro course or
confused.gif
Have SJed to 3' and Hunter Trials to 2'9 with my youngster and feel she's ready for a step up so undecided between the two, not sure if the smaller might be too easy but the bigger too much of a challenge, having never been there. Am off to do a 2'10 Arena Hunter Trial at Broomes this weekend which may help me decide.

Hmmmm, Galaxy hot choc to those who read this far!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have done two 3'3 classes at SLM this year and the course was straightforward but up to height. Nothing too technical but they seem to love their cheese wedges.
The 2'9 to 3'0 will be basically intro level.

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Well I am guessing the 2'6"-2'9" course might be similar to the BE80 course? And the 2'9"-3'0" would be similar to the Intro (sorry, BE90) course?

If so the BE80 course was lovely, very very easy and straightforward, except for that scary muddy gateway which we napped at
tongue.gif

The BE90 course also seemed pretty OK, the sunken road caused a few horses to look (mainly because it was so wet they thought they were jumping into water!) plus there was a corner (I hate corners
tongue.gif
) with an alternative, but otherwise not too bad?

I was relieved when I walked the course that nothing scared me on either track, as I have always believed that SL is a medium severity course rather than a first timers course

Cant remember where you live, but you could consider the unaff ODE at Sapey on Sunday 14th June? They have an 80 cm and a 90cm class there. and the courses will be lovely and inviting - in fact I have just withdrawn from West Wilts to go there instead
grin.gif

MegaBeast

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

as I have always believed that SL is a medium severity course rather than a first timers course

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought too, which is why I'm wondering if the bigger class might be too much of an ask at this stage if it's at the top end of intro so to speak.

I'm in Cardiff, so Sapey although similar mileage to SLM would take about ½hr longer than SLM which is a good two hours anyway hence my preference for SLM.

Too many options!!!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Well having read your OP again, IMVHO I would go for the smaller class this time since (if I am reading correctly) it is the first time you have put it all together on one day?

But I am a wimp dont forget
tongue.gif

Can definitely see SL would be easier than Sapey from you!

MegaBeast

Visit site
Is indeed the first time we've put it together in one day although that doesn't worry me so much.

Is Stockland hilly? Not so much from a fitness point of view but wondering if any of the jumps have a downhill approach (something we've had a couple of issues with). Drops are okay however!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Not hugely hilly but there is one downward hill towards the dew pond which I took very slowly (as did most people) due to the dire weather when I was there - we had a jump halfway down and another at the bottom

MegaBeast

Visit site
Should be able to go XC schooling before anyway to sort out that particular problem, think it occured because of a breakdown in communication anyway, she looks to me for confidence and if I'm unsure and let her make the decision she doesn't, typical baby!