Stomach Ulcer Products.. what works and what doesnt?!

IWTO

Visit site
Although i may well need this myself, im getting my horse checked first but my friends horse has been diagnosed with stomach ulcers and was told to go and get a product for such..

However there are loads out there.. do they all work or are some better than others?

Thanks
grin.gif

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
there are loads of different ones, mine was first on a course of something I can't remember the name of (very helpful, I know) - it did begin with S...
And now he is on NAF Thrive.

glenruby

Visit site
Gastroguard is the best treatment for them - but very expensive. It can also be used for prevention as can sucralfate, cometidine, ranitidine and a number of other products.

Weezy

Visit site
I think your friend has had dreadful advice - sack the vet is my opinion TBH! What grade ulcers does the horse have? What did the vet suggest? There are so, so many ways to treat ulcers, depending on the severity, and lots of products out there, some work for some but not for others and some are complete rubbish.

If I were her I would be asking for a second opinion or a referal!

glenruby

Visit site
Woah, Weezy! What exactly are you disagreeing with? Id be pretty sure it was Omeprazole that the vet advised if they were Grade 2 or more in which case it is the best product on the market. Most of the others arent worth the money to be honest - but I doubt these ulcers - unles they have been causing recurrent colic would warrant referral. Thats if they have been properly diagnosed using a gastroscope though!

Weezy

Visit site
Sorry honey, I was QRing the opening post, I wasn't replying to you - I always quick reply and sometimes it is a mistake to do so, as in this case - sorry! I completely agree with you BTW, but I do stand by what I said to the OP, go back to vet and ask their advice!

glenruby

Visit site
Ah, ok. I misunderstood your post. Sorry!
blush.gif
As you've said, she certainly should take advice from her vet first and foremost regarding drugs.

punk

Visit site
Am also interested in (not hi-jacking) this post as ponio has been gastro-scoped and found to have some ulcers grade3/4, but also one ulcer 4/4
shocked.gif

Have had him on Gastrogard for 3 weeks now (one week to go) and the difference is AMAZING!!

He is eating well - much more relaxed in his way of going - coat shining, and put on condition!! Different ponio!

He had 2 weeks on full dose, and is half way through his 2 weeks on half dose, but now I am terrified to stop completely!!

Obviously can't afford to keep him on it indefinately, but vet suggested keeping him on 10% dose through eventing season.

Do you think this is necessary? Some have suggested Neigh-lox, or Gastro-gold as a feed additive, but am just so scared to go back to where we were??
confused.gif

I should say that, although he is a connemara pony, he is a worrier, and does occasionally windsuck (although this is much improved on the Gastrogard).

ASm really just echoing OP in asking for ideas - where to go next?? Very interested and appreciative in any input!
blush.gif