Stones in White line - Red Horse products help?

CBFan

Visit site
My 8 year old 17.2hh Cleveland bay gelding has been barefoot his whole life and currently his feet are looking pretty good all bar a little thrush and slightly shrivelled frogs due to wet winter and lack of exercise. I have been treating the thrush with success and there is only a little left to go and the frogs are building back up nicely...

He has been hacking 5 times a week (for 45 minutes 3 times and up to an hour and a half twice a week) Booted for the longer hacks but bare for the shorter ones and he is going well, all bar getting a few tiny stones caught in his white lines - particularly on his fore feet. These can make him, understandably quite sore.

All trimming is up to date and his diet is under control (small handful of graze-on, plus grass nuts, mug of micronized linseed, brewers yeast and forage plus winter hoof health balancer plus 24/7 turnout, muzzled as necessary) he is not overweight but not super lean either.

So, baring all factors in mind, I was wondering if there is anything I can apply to his hooves to help prevent this happening? If so, which product?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank manages to do this even on his super tight bits of white line. They don't make him sore though and never have, do you think that is actually the case and why so?

(I remove them at the end of a hack).

CBFan

Visit site
Thanks both! I have emailed them this morning but just wanted some real life product reviews ideally :)

ester, I just feel like he gets a bit more 'ouchy' after going over stones, and not quite as willing to go forward, particularly if we come off stones onto a hard surface like the road, which he is otherwise fine on.... I do pick them out after a hack but just wondered if there was anything further that I can do to help prevent it. I realise part of the problem may be that his frogs need to beef up again - they are getting there - slowly!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would think it probably more likely that the stones on his sole have made him a bit more sensitive/careful rather than those stuck. Frank I would say is not dissimilar in that he will continue his careful walk for a bit once we hit tarmac (and I tell him to stop being such a girl ;) ). I think it might depend on how tight the WL is as to whether anything redhorse would help. I couldn't get anything in Frank's atm.

CBFan

Visit site
hmmmm...Maybe you're right and he is just being a big girl! lol! ... I just thought for the sake of £15 it was worth a try... plus it might help deal with any of the last of the stubborn thrush in his frogs...

P.S. I can highly recommend their hand cream - My friend bought be some for Christmas and I love it! :)