Stoopid Lickle Pony & It's Funny Shaped Gob! Help!

JAK

Visit site
Foiled at the 'final hurdle' by SWUO's funny mouth! Arrgghh!
frown.gif

Briefly:
Was very poorly as a youngster when all her baby teeth fell out at once & she couldn't eat! Went stick thin & it was touch & go at one point I believe!
Due to massive gaps, adult teeth consequently grew through all higgeldy-piggledy & point in all directions!
(Has to see dentist every few months now for the rest of her life!)

Also has huge fleshy cheeks/lips & a teeny tiny 'gap' in the middle, so although her mouth itself is minute, she needs a 4.5" bit to accommodate the former!

Cannot wear a jointed snaffle, as it sits in a deep 'v', which she then somehow manages to flip up backwards & chews on! (Probably not explaining this very well but I'll keep going anyway! LOL)
Tongue seems to then disappear halfway down her throat & she would quite easily be able to get it over a bit I think!
You can hear 'teeth on metal' constantly, as she gnaws at it!

The bit on her in-hand bridle is gnawed quite near the centre & is quite damaged in places, worse one side than the other!

If anybody has made sense of the above, would appreciate any ideas, no matter how ridiculous or extreme!

Only bit I have left in her size is a low ported small (loose) ring snaffle?
Help - what to do?

JAK

Visit site
She's an 11.2hh sec A - do they even make bitless bridles that small? (Otherwise yes, bitless is the most obvious solution!)
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Yep, sure Dr Cooks go that small. They're the ones that cross under the jaw. I'm pretty sure they also allow a trial period which might be useful. I'll try and find their web address.

Sooty

Visit site
False teeth? Well, you did say any ideas no matter how ridiculous...
grin.gif

Unless you can get her teeth modified further, it really sounds as if bitless is the only answer. If you cannot buy a ready made bitless bridle, I am sure a saddler would be able to make one for you.

JAK

Visit site
If she bites OH as hard again as she did the other night, she may well need false teeth!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

JAK

Visit site
Thanks for the link!

[ QUOTE ]
All YO's little welshs start off with a "Magic bit."

[/ QUOTE ]
'Magic bit'?
confused.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
Druid and Piebaldsparkle are right. That is a magic bit.

However the though that a magical making pony behave while doing a lovely springy extended trot in perfect outline with brakes does sound better... if someone would like to invent one please...

JAK

Visit site
I guess a waterford might wrap around her fat little chops better? Am prepared to try anything really & it's fairly obvious from the start if something fits or not, as everything so far has just looked 'odd'!
frown.gif

Though of course, she's only just been re-backed, so might be too much of a shock for her system! LOL

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bitless or a magic bit..

b-CM%20CAMBRDGEMTHMAGIC.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Eek, how embarrassingly stupid of me - that's the little ported snaffle I bought today, that I was waffling on about at the start - didn't know it was called a 'magic bit' though!
blush.gif

Maybe I should try it then?
grin.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
Have been thinking again... it hurts...

What about a Monty Roberts Dually or similar. It can be used as a bridle. Used mine to ride Rosie before and went well.

druid

Visit site
Do, I'd go for that over bitless for fear of bitless (pressure) being a bit overwhelming for her...

I think a waterford would be too wide as the bobbles (Techincal term there, ahem) are quite large and she's only little.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have been thinking again... it hurts...

[/ QUOTE ]
My head hurts too - am so used to just shoving everything in a french-link! LOL

[ QUOTE ]
What about a Monty Roberts Dually or similar. It can be used as a bridle. Used mine to ride Rosie before and went well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I didn't know you could actually ride in them!
ooo.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do, I'd go for that over bitless for fear of bitless (pressure) being a bit overwhelming for her...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll try the 'magic bit' tonight then, now I know it's name (as opposed to 'little ported small ring snaffle! LOL) - I bought it as I liked the shape of it, that's all!

[ QUOTE ]
I think a waterford would be too wide as the bobbles (Techincal term there, ahem) are quite large and she's only little.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the 'bobbles' on CB's would be much too large for her mouth, so unless they made one with smaller 'bobbles'.......! (The principle makes sense though!)
grin.gif

The last thing we want to do is frighten her & set her off bucking for England again, when we have come so far with her!
frown.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
When I went to the demo they were starting all the horses in Duallys before they bitted them.

Reins go onto the rings and acts as a side pull. I rode Rosie in hers. Just to see what would happen.

She was fine in it. Wouldn't say it would be great for dressage and getting SWUO into a perfect outline, and certainly wouldn't be taking it round badmintion, but fine for circles in the school and quiet offroad hacking.

JAK

Visit site
A possibility then, if we really can't get a bit to fit! She won't be doing anything exciting anyway - probably just riding in the school/field at home, as I don't think she's anything like traffic-proof - not entirely sure she's even seen traffic, except 'at home'!
shocked.gif

druid

Visit site
I don't think they do..pain in the bum, and something maufactures seem to ignore one a whole..they just shorten the width and ignore the circumfrence!!

Though, check out these they might be better as they're designed for ponies!

JAK

Visit site
Aha, somebody realises that a small Welsh pony is not just a scaled down ID & that what is actually needed is a sort of 'petite' range of bits, like Next etc. do with clothes, smaller all round! LOL

piebaldsparkle - keep fingers crossed then, as we have a few suggestions now at least!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Braces
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
So, the pony bites as readily as a half-starved ferret & you want to turn it into 'Jaws' from the James Bond movies?

Send your address via pm then, as we are sending her to live with you once dental work is complete! LOL

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Braces
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
So, the pony bites as readily as a half-starved ferret & you want to turn it into 'Jaws' from the James Bond movies?

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO!!
Can just picture her now,he he!