Stopping a horse getting it’s tongue over the bit

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Can anyone/everyone advise please?
New boy who is still chilling on holiday is known to get his tongue over his bit.
He’s always been ridden in training in a single jointed eggbut snaffle and a very (very) tight crank and flash.
I’ve been told to do the same.... obviously I’m not planning too! I’m not sure I’m even strong enough to do it up that tight (I certainly wasn’t able to undo it previously)
So chuck me the kinder ways of approaching this problem please as it’s one that I’ve never really dealt with as I remember.
Thanks

sport horse

Visit site
He probably gets his tongue over the bit to protect himself from the pain of the tight noseband clamping his mouth shut. Poor horse. I suggest you beg/borrow/buy a tongue grid that fits on its own head piece. There are one or two bits that incorporate a tongue grid and also a rubber attachment that you can put on the bit it self to stop the horse curling the tongue back and going over the bit. I have not had much success with the rubber attachment.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Has he got a low palate? He might open his mouth to try to avoid nutcracker action on the roof of his mouth. The snaffle might pinch his fleshy tongue too. In that case a tight noseband would make it worse so he possibly puts his tongue over to avoid pain.
I am not an expert on bits but I would take advice about a lozenge style bit and as you have said ditch the tight noseband.
Edited to add... a ported bit might help his tongue but may not suit if he has a low palate.

Carrottom

Visit site
I would try a french link type snaffle to start with. Most racing yards fit bits high in the mouth so I start with the bit a hole higher than usual, then lower it after a few rides when we know each other better, to see which feels best. Another track would be a thick mullen mouth bit, again fairly high in his mouth, I remember this worked for someone else.
I'm not a fan of flash nosebands, often I ride without a one. I do ride my new boy in a cavesson as I want to do some dressage with him so he may as well be used to it.
One of the old pointers was always in a grackle as he would occasionally cross his jaw and tank off. It was only fitted tight enough that it didn't move.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Cob? Have you tried a straight bit eg happy mouth? If you’re feeling brave, have you considered going bitless? I rode mine in just a headcollar then a bitless bridle but only in the school. Hacking was a snaffle, single jointed.

Visit site
Sounds exactly like the TB mare we have at our yard, she had a hugely tight crank noseband when she arrived and the new owner couldn't get it tight enough to stop her doing it so she chucked it and went for an Australian cheeker noseband and she's been perfect ever since, she had a couple of weeks of lessons from a professional to help her through the change period but hasn't looked back since
Good luck with it :)

Bea_millard

Visit site
Sounds like my boy - he came to me in a single jointed snaffle with a flash. I currently ride him in a Micklem and a happy tongue bomber. But thinking of switching to the ported barrel bomber. What I’ve found with the bomber is that because they are ported which gives extra room for the tongue and applies less pressure on the tongue, when my boy puts his tongue over it, it’s more uncomfortable for him than keeping it under

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Finding the cause helps. Often a horse will try to elevate discomfort elsewhere as a distraction. I have found what worked for my mare was a loose drop noseband, a comfort style mullen mouth with lozenge and lessons!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He’s TB
I’ve not ridden him yet, he’s just been roughed off. I have had a bridle on him and led him round the fields off another horse. I don’t even own any single jointed bits so he wore a hanging cheek (the only one that fitted, he’s a bit smaller than my others) with a lozenge. He did actually have a crank on but very loosely fitted. (I like the padding underneath!) and no flash.
I’ll look at the bit suggestions and will have a look in his mouth to try and see if he has a low palette as I’m not sure.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my first horse used to hang his tongue out and i tried lots of bits and found he didnt do it in a mullen mouth snaffle. he had a large tongue and the mullen mouth gave him more room. only problem was it was a mild bit and i didnt always have the control i wanted but he was happy...so i put up with it..

SEL

Visit site
Mine did that when I first had her. French link was worst. Spoke to the Bit Bank and they sent me a turtle top on trial - never once put her tongue over it.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Mine did this when the bit was too low in his mouth. I moved it up one hole and he's not done it since. We've always used a French link hanging cheek snaffle.

I agree with YCBM; check the bit is sitting well in the mouth which could be higher or lower. Tightening the noseband may have the opposite effect.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Ycbm - I can see that you've responded but I can't see what you've said as I've blocked you. Think it best all round, not only for this thread but for all others.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Meredith and pearlsasinger, yes he has a very low palette. I half wondered if I’d even know or would have to compare with one of my others 😳 really obvious though so I’m thinking maybe not a ported bit? Definitely not a single jointed.
I led him out off my other horse in the lozenge (hanging cheek) and a loose noseband, no flash. He didn’t even try to do anything so maybe stick with this for now? Or any other suggestions now knowing about the palette and lack of space in his mouth!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If he seems hapy in the hanging cheek with lozenge, I would stick with that but if when you are actually riding him, he seems uncomfortable in his mouth, you have the option of a mullen-mouthed bit. I rode 2 horses with the mouth confo that you are describing in a PeeWee bit and they both liked it but I rode the Draft horse whose mouth was a very square shape but equally fleshy with a lack of room in there, in a NS Tranz/Universal with Tranz lozenge. there are options available to you if you need them.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The bomber bits are great, I love them, fab for thick fleshy tongues. One of mine is very happy in it.
However, the other has a fleshy tongue but a low and short palette, she got worse and worse in a bomber. Tongue over the bit, then locking hard on me. Couldn't flip tongue back!
I now alternate between a Mullen mouth, and a French link (with cheeks). She is a different ride.
I will add that I was told to put her in a Waterford, a grackle, and/or crank and flash. I persevered to get to the bottom of the problem, am glad I did.
Simple cavesson and French link, lots of flat work and we are getting there. Yes, back, tack, teeth etc all good to go, it was the bit that caused the issues arising.