Stopping in the middle of a competition?

Madsmead

Visit site
I have a little 13.2 who absolutely loves his jumping and does well at competitions, however he's always had to be lead in to the arena because he plants his feet and wont move, i never had an issue with it as as soon as he was in he'd speed round and jump lovely,

But now hes started stopping in the middle of a course and in our most recent competition we couldn't even get to jump 3 as he stops and refuses to move anyway that isnt toward the warm up arena, ive got no clue what to do, any help or ideas?

bonny

Visit site
I have a little 13.2 who absolutely loves his jumping and does well at competitions, however he's always had to be lead in to the arena because he plants his feet and wont move, i never had an issue with it as as soon as he was in he'd speed round and jump lovely,

But now hes started stopping in the middle of a course and in our most recent competition we couldn't even get to jump 3 as he stops and refuses to move anyway that isnt toward the warm up arena, ive got no clue what to do, any help or ideas?
He’s trying to tell you something....I would give him a long break from jumping, maybe just hack and have fun for th winter ?

J&S

Visit site
May be your pony has just done a little too much this season, or in his life. As said above, take him for hacks, jump a log if its in the way but don't force the issue. If he starts to not want to go out, get the vet to check him out and also farrier to make sure he is not uncomfortable in his feet.

millikins

Visit site
I'm surprised nobody's said get your saddle checked. Our Eriskay mare always had to be led into the arena, that was just her being quirky, but when she started refusing even tiny things it was because her saddle no longer fitted.

muddybay

Visit site
I'm surprised nobody's said get your saddle checked. Our Eriskay mare always had to be led into the arena, that was just her being quirky, but when she started refusing even tiny things it was because her saddle no longer fitted.
the same with my gelding he always naps going into the arena and had to be led in but when he was stopping during our rounds we had a physio out and it turns out he had a sore back and then he stopped stopping!

Madsmead

Visit site
Thank you so much for all you suggestions! Hes got the farrier out soon and we're getting the vet out to do his teeth (which are due anyway) and give him a check over and there opinion, see if he is a bit uncomfortable :(