stopping mad train ponies...

metalmare

Visit site
I have had this problem with several ponies now, the latest being on Saturday. Admittedly it was a one off ride, I am not likely to be riding this pony again, but tips would be appreciated for next time I get on a pony with no brakes please.

The pony is ridden in a pelham with roundings and is nearly always ridden by the same girl who has had him two years, is 14 and likes to ride fast...

I got on, walked him forward and immediately he shot off into canter. Fortunately we were in the menage. And I tried to slow him down and nothing happened. And he was cutting corners badly and getting really worked up so I thought the best thing I could do was just relax, stay in balance and let him run out of steam. 5 mins later he was still going and I was really worried he would lose his backend as he was motorbiking. At this point I said to the owner that I really wasn't too sure how I was going to get off. Rise she says! Rise to the canter and he will go into a trot and keep rising and slow him to a walk. It turns out that she used to sit to the trot a lot before going into canter. And I sit to the trot a lot which obviously wound him up... trade secrets!!

Has anyone any advice on what I should do next time I ride a pony with absolutely no brakes whatsoever? This is not the first time I have ridden a pony that I have seen someone else ride fine and then it turns out after the event that it takes two years practise to suss them!

metalmare

Visit site
Come on - some of you must have had experiences with ponies with no brakes and have some advice! OK the one described above IMO needed completely reschooling but that still wasn't much help to me as I was up there!

metalmare

Visit site
I agree that I was taking up too much contact - especially as the owner rides with the reins like wahing lines - but he wasn't really pulling, he is actually ewe necked and a star gazer - he had head right up in air and simply wouldn't slow down for anything. He behaved as though he was scared.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He behaved as though he was scared.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you have used aids that where too strong? Some horses are very, very hot, and need to be treated with real subtlety.

Farm Kat

Visit site
Most of my newfies are like this, or were like this until I retrained them, Cop's bing the worst, he would pull himself over if you leaned in. And yes it is scary but smile and keep breathing, loosen your contact and give and take with one or both reins, always sit lightly, and I have found taking my weight out of the saddle slightly can help, but you don't want to be leaning forwards, kindof stand up a bit. And yes a horse will only pull if it has something to pull against.