Stopping pony eating grass on hacks

Jericho

Visit site
As title really. 8yr old daughter has a wonderful 13.2hh pony but his only fault is on hacks he goes for the grass and being fairly weak my poor daughter finds it hard to stop him once he goes for it. We have grass reins on him which stops him getting ground level grass but he is pretty smart and has starting going for the high verges which grass reins aren't going to stop him.

Is there anything else we can do? He is getting worse because she doesnt have the strength to pull him up although she is starting to read the warning signs of him eyeing up the grass and if she catches him in time, she is fine but it means she has to be constantly thinking about it which when she is thinking about crossing roads or letting cars past he takes full advantage. Is there a riding muzzle net or something we could try?

maisiemoo

Visit site
We have same problem , and i agree that a sharp slap is needed , nothing wrong with a bum stinger now and again ! :)

Jericho

Visit site
thanks, he is getting a good old pony club kick but she is finding it difficult to kick, whack and pull all at the same time during the process of him going. If she misses the sideways glance and he gets his head down she finds it really hard to get him back up.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd let her concentrate on it & learn to read the warning signs, think its good for them at that age to learn how to prevent & deal with less than perfect ponies. And while she gets to grips with it you help out with crossing roads etc that break her concentration. And teach her how to get pony to stand properly (rather than just not moving his legs if that makes sense?) So he doesn't snack at junctions etc.

LeneHorse

Visit site
I shall probably get shot down in flames for this but have you tried putting a flash on? My 15.2 cobby thing likes to dive into the hedgerows when we are hacking and I've had constant battles pulling her head up, so I recently started hacking in a flash and its worked wonders. I thought she would fight it but she's coping really well and is now a much nicer girl to ride out on.

mole

Visit site
can you or a stronger rider take him out and let him know that eating grass and snatching stuff from verges is something that turns into an unpleasant experience for him?

then when your daughter goes back to riding it'll make your pony at least hesitate before he does it and so will give your daughter half a chance of stopping him too

Jericho

Visit site
yes absolutely agree that it is bad manners but ponies are ponies and with the best will in the world an 8 year old isnt going to be stronger than a pony...and he knows that he can get away with it with her. He has had stronger older more experienced riders on him and he tries but quickly realises that he cant do it and is fine. the minute he has a less experienced rider he goes for it again. She is learning to read the signs very well but he chooses his moments well. Little monkey. I think I will try a flash, improving the halt (i.e. a more responsive halt) - thanks for those ideas, and improve her hand, leg, whip coordination in the school - anyone got any ideas for that?

I would hate to stop the hacking out with her just because of this because she is learning more in half an hour on tracks than she would in 3 hours in the school because of all the different scenarios we come across. Please dont get me wrong - the pony is as safe as houses, totally unflappable and very very good and I wouldnt put my daughter in any danger. He literally is just grabbing grass from the verges which can be frustrating for my daughter and I just dont like it!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
yes absolutely agree that it is bad manners but ponies are ponies and with the best will in the world an 8 year old isnt going to be stronger than a pony...and he knows that he can get away with it with her. He has had stronger older more experienced riders on him and he tries but quickly realises that he cant do it and is fine. the minute he has a less experienced rider he goes for it again. She is learning to read the signs very well but he chooses his moments well. Little monkey. I think I will try a flash, improving the halt (i.e. a more responsive halt) - thanks for those ideas, and improve her hand, leg, whip coordination in the school - anyone got any ideas for that?

I would hate to stop the hacking out with her just because of this because she is learning more in half an hour on tracks than she would in 3 hours in the school because of all the different scenarios we come across. Please dont get me wrong - the pony is as safe as houses, totally unflappable and very very good and I wouldnt put my daughter in any danger. He literally is just grabbing grass from the verges which can be frustrating for my daughter and I just dont like it!

I know it's hard!! I use to 'pay' my son 50p if he managed to stop his pony eating on a hack (because it drove me mad having to stop and pull him up). Sometimes a bit of incentive adds power to the muscles - he was around 5 at the time, but it worked. They just need to learn to predict when it's going to happen and catch it before it does. Good luck! :) x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Tally great advice from littlelegs.

And if your daughter feels confident enough show her how to give a good sharp crack behind her leg with a SHORT stick. No kick, no hauling just crack!

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Not 100% certain if grass reins are the same as a daisy rein but if not I'd try that. A daisy rein attaches to the saddle D rings and then comes together along the ponies' neck and attaches to the headpiece of the bridle between the poll - in effect preventing the pony from putting his head down.

I always thought grass reins only attached to the side so didn't actually stop the head going down in the same way.

http://www.onestopponyshop.co.uk/superbasket/product/292/Aerborn_Daisy_Reins

Rideaway sell them also in a leather version.

Dubsie

Visit site
Definitely daisy rein rather than grass rein - the Daisy rein effectively reinforces the riders arms ie the harder the pony tries to put his head down the more the daisy rein stretches against it. Daoghter's SecA had these on for a while, she soon gave up even trying.

Inchy

Visit site
Not quite the same but....my friend has a little pony for her kids, he's fantastic in everyway for them except when he's on the leadrein he mauls the lead rein and who evers hands are holding it, they tries everything to stop it but he kept on with it...they now hack with a grazing muzzel a few sizes bigger that he would normally have on over the top - that way he can't bite! Might stop a naughty pony grazing whilst on the go!