Stopping Show horse abuse

supercowpony

Visit site
Ok, following reading a few threads recently, and the countless articles about overheight showing and the cruelty used keep these horses in their classes, I thought, 'someone should start a petition and send it to all the showing societies, asking that it be emphasised classes are for horses between certain heights, not just full up horses, and that judges should be instructed to not take height into account.'

And then I thought, well there's nothing stopping me! I've only really shown at local level, though I've groomed for a show producer at PUK etc, so that's what I really want all of you to put your names to this petition, and suggest all the showing societies it should be sent to, to give it a lot more clout!

I want this cruelty to stop, as I'm sure you all do, and there's no reason why as a group we can't put as much pressure on the showing societies to try and prevent it!

I have now made an online petition as many suggested, and I hope you will all be encourage to sign it! I also hope no one feels like I am 'spamming' the board, but this is an issue I feel really strongly about and I can't understand why so little has been done about it.

PLEASE GO TO THE WEB ADDRESS BELOW TO SIGN THIS PETITION:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-cruelty-to-show-horses-over-height-measuring.html

Thank you for your support.

touchstone

Visit site
I'm being a numpty, but I can't see how asking judges to consider all heights is going to help, an overheight pony is still going to be overheight, and if a smaller pony is closest to the breed standard then it is going to have a better chance anyway. Getting a pony down to height will also presumably go on behind the scenes, so difficult for a judge to know anyway.

sjmcc

Visit site
will sign but a lot can go on behind closed doors :mad: . height well it does get me mad because iv been on the other end ohhh he wont measure ohhh he,s huge and today i have a life height on him a lot of people think there pony or horse is bigger than it realy is and can get a bit of a shock when they take it in to be measured . but i also do not agree with takeing there feet back to the point there sore or withhold water from them . its silly because you can get a recall from the JMB if a complaint goes in so whats the point of it youl only be found out :)

teagreen

Visit site
I have seen plenty of not up to height ponies win their classes. My successful Welsh B is 133cm, the height limit is 138cm, and I know of Welsh B's who do well at 128cm. The champion HOYS Show Pony a couple of years back was well under height. I know of a good number of WHP's who are not up to height and still do extremely well. If the aim of your petition is to get judges to understand that a pony doesn't have to be up to height to win, then I think you'll find they already know that.

Have you got evidence that these awful things happen or are you just listening to the gossip/reading James Herriot?