Stopping to eat grass... at a fast canter

Chappie

Visit site
Hi there, I dont have many people around me to ask for help so maybe you experienced folks will advise.
Had my cob on loan for nearly 3.5 years. He's rising 18 and considering I'm novice, have managed to get him hacking out alone, mostly happily.
Not done that much solo hacking over the winter due to weather conditions so join in on the organised hacks (our yard is livery and a riding school that mainly hacks). Mostly ride out on walk and trots but would like to join in on some of the smaller canter rides. Only try to join these rides when I'm happy with the other people and horses on them (unlikely high jinx) and the weather conditions (not strong wind). There simply isn't anyone else to ride out with and moving yards is not an option.
So as title says, he has an awful habit which is several strides into canter he screeches to a halt and flings his head down to eat grass.
After getting thrown off 3 times (very lucky to not get injured) a couple of years ago I completely stopped attempting canter rides and focused on hacking alone.
On these hacks I will sometimes get a short canter, and he doesn't try to eat grass. He's nappy and nervous so it takes a lot of effort and energy to get him hacking alone.
But in the right mood and right conditions he can be great!
It's also increasingly busy around the yard in terms of traffic and other countryside users so a lot to be aware of. Hacking out with others is a nice change sometimes, drivers etc often slow down better for a group.
I **NEVER** let him even attempt to eat while being ridden - however his owner (a man) only very occasionally rides, in walk mostly, occasional trot and has let him eat. I've said to him to never let him eat but he still does. His daughter (used to be her ride) apparently had the same problem as me. However she stopped riding altogether when she was 15 and was a very light girl who just clinged on! I'm 5 ft 6 and well under 9 stone the cob is 14.2hh.
Two weekends ago I took him on a short canter with a small number of riders and he was fine, a little fast and strong but totally under control. Today he was the same on the first canter of the ride, considering I don't canter him much in company he felt controllable. This made me feel calm and confident but still on alert for the second one. However he was a completed monster - few strides on and he slammed on the brakes - I managed to stay on and gathered him up and sent him to go after the others. He took off horribly fast and all along the track was trying to slam on the brakes and eat - there's NO grass just tussocks of slimey old grass! - I had my left rein very short and high to stop him going down and my right hand firmly on his neck with the right rein short. It took all my strength to stay on and keep him together. In the past I have roared NO at him and few hard whacks with a crop and booted him hard. He shoots off with this so I have to manage that too. Today I was too occupied with slowing down and staying on.
- Thought about trying grass or daisy reins. Concerned he might be angry and try and spin/buck me off. Also his mouth!
- Considering just never going on the canter rides.
BTW we always stay at the very back of the ride - he's naturally slow in walk & trot! He's done it when I've hacked out with one other person too so its not the group aspect.
Ok I managed to stay on today but feel its very risky.
Disappointed as thought our "relationship" had progressed - its like he had no respect for me!
He really is pretty much a suitable horse for me to be riding apart from this.
Tack is an eggbutt snaffle, drop noseband and running martingale.
I add he's not hungry - he's on plenty fibre - he's done it at 10am after finishing hay at 930 so I'm not concerned he's hungry.
He has limited turnout but I can't change that. He's been on the same yard for about 8 years.
Maybe I need to do more ground work or see if I can find a freelance instructor. He doesn't like working in the school!
Sorry this is very long but tried to give detail for the overall picture. Please don't be too harsh on me! I'm middle aged (!) and really have come quite far with him considering I don't have much support or help to call on! The experienced people I have asked just say try the grass reins so I guess I should get them ordered and give it a try at least :confused:

Mule

Visit site
Sounds scary:(
I'd use daisy reins. They attach to the head piece rather than the bit, so don't worry about his mouth.
I don't think it will be possible to get him out if the habit since his owner lets him stop to eat. The most important thing is to stay safe.

be positive

Visit site
If he only puts his head down in canter are you sure he is trying to eat and that there is not more to this, I find it hard to imagine how a horse can think of eating while cantering but not try when walking or trotting.
To me it sounds far more like he is either uncomfortable in some way and in canter it is worse or easier to object or that he has never really learned how to canter properly, if he has been ridden by nervous novices for years he could have been restricted and learned to pull down to unbalance the rider and it is now a habit that has never been addressed just avoided.
Some lessons would be very useful, if he learns to listen more to you in the school that would be a start and maybe some sessions on your technique and how to deal with him pulling his head down would also be useful but the first thing I would do is to get his saddle checked, his teeth checked if not done recently and a once over by a vet would be worthwhile to ensure there is not a physical reason for him to behave in this unusual way.

Chappie

Visit site
Sounds scary:(
I'd use daisy reins. They attach to the head piece rather than the bit, so don't worry about his mouth.
I don't think it will be possible to get him out if the habit since his owner lets him stop to eat. The most important thing is to stay safe.

Thank you for replying to my rather long story (did't realise it would be that long, yikes!) yes I mean it's fun cantering and more importantly good and important exercise for the horse but it's no fun if it's not safe!
Maybe I need to stick with short canters while alone. Its going to take a while into the year to build up to hacking alone again, weather dependant.
Another problem is sometimes the riding school has no walk and trot rides that day so I'm stuck with trying to get him exercised, which I'm obsessed with as turnout is limited!
Been feeling like I should man up and deal but he's maybe stuck in his ways. The owner really barely ever rides but the daughter always let him eat and she rode him from age 10 - approx 15 (her and the horse!)
Will check out daisy reins but if I have to resort to that, should I even be trying to canter in a group.
So frustrating seeing everyone else ,even little kids, going on the canter rides and I'm literally stuck at the yard!

Mule

Visit site
Thank you for replying to my rather long story (did't realise it would be that long, yikes!) yes I mean it's fun cantering and more importantly good and important exercise for the horse but it's no fun if it's not safe!
Maybe I need to stick with short canters while alone. Its going to take a while into the year to build up to hacking alone again, weather dependant.
Another problem is sometimes the riding school has no walk and trot rides that day so I'm stuck with trying to get him exercised, which I'm obsessed with as turnout is limited!
Been feeling like I should man up and deal but he's maybe stuck in his ways. The owner really barely ever rides but the daughter always let him eat and she rode him from age 10 - approx 15 (her and the horse!)
Will check out daisy reins but if I have to resort to that, should I even be trying to canter in a group.
So frustrating seeing everyone else ,even little kids, going on the canter rides and I'm literally stuck at the yard!
I know, these things aren't easy. I regret letting mine eat whenever he wants to. All he does is pull the reins when we're stopped, so it's not dangerous but he's so strong he can pull me out of the saddle.

If you try out the daisy reins and you're ok with them then I wouldn't worry about cantering with them on. I know it won't solve the behaviour but it will prevent it and keep you safe.

I think another issue is whether you would feel safe cantering because of him tanking off. I think that's what would bother me. It's not a nice feeling.

Chappie

Visit site
If he only puts his head down in canter are you sure he is trying to eat and that there is not more to this, I find it hard to imagine how a horse can think of eating while cantering but not try when walking or trotting.
To me it sounds far more like he is either uncomfortable in some way and in canter it is worse or easier to object or that he has never really learned how to canter properly, if he has been ridden by nervous novices for years he could have been restricted and learned to pull down to unbalance the rider and it is now a habit that has never been addressed just avoided.
Some lessons would be very useful, if he learns to listen more to you in the school that would be a start and maybe some sessions on your technique and how to deal with him pulling his head down would also be useful but the first thing I would do is to get his saddle checked, his teeth checked if not done recently and a once over by a vet would be worthwhile to ensure there is not a physical reason for him to behave in this unusual way.

Thank you for relying, I appreciate this. I'd not really thought about some of the aspects you mentioned, particularly his training in canter.

I have a highly respected oesteopath who visits the yard regularly look at him a couple of times a year and will carry on doing this - I've spoken to her about this and from her perspective there was nothing wrong - on her last visit she couldn't find any issues with him at all. We looked at the saddle fit too.

Teeth - his owners deal with that and they're due in April - am trying to impress that they will likely need more attention now he's getting older, maybe more than once a year, but believe me, that is a whole another story entirely, getting the owners to do stuff like that. Not bad people at all just don't understand/realise importance - not 'horsey' despite owing two! So getting a vet work up is unlikely I'm afraid.

Saddle - I got a saddle fitter (recommended by pony club dc friend) to look at it after the first few times this happened and they said it was fine; it's a really good quality saddle - I bought a Prolite pad on their advice to replace a basic foam riser pad but no difference with this issue. I'm very particular about tacking up and the pad, saddle and saddlecloth sitting correctly.

The fact he does it a few strides into the canter yet not in walk or trot makes me think its a control thing and therefore my riding - its like he knows we are going faster so its harder for me to control him. He used to try to eat at walk & trot but I had the strength to give and then block the reins and I stopped the problem ages ago.
Ideally he would have more turnout so less grass obssessed but I really am stuck with what I've got.

I don't know of any freelance instructors but it's worth looking into for my overall riding - he possibly doesn't respect me even though he is a nice pony to be around, quite different from his "turn" this afternoon!

Chappie

Visit site
I know, these things aren't easy. I regret letting mine eat whenever he wants to. All he does is pull the reins when we're stopped, so it's not dangerous but he's so strong he can pull me out of the saddle.

If you try out the daisy reins and you're ok with them then I wouldn't worry about cantering with them on. I know it won't solve the behaviour but it will prevent it and keep you safe.

I think another issue is whether you would feel safe cantering because of him tanking off. I think that's what would bother me. It's not a nice feeling.

Thanks, it's good to be able to air and discuss this with people who know what I'm talking about!
I don't like bad-mannered horses and am quite strict with stuff like this - the riding school ponies are bad for snatching grass when they ever have to stop and stand and I always swore I'd not let it happen if I got a loan/my own!
I will definately look into the daisy reins - my pc dc friend suggested the old baler twine trick but I would rather have something that will clip on and off easily.
I would understand the tanking thing, and the grass, if the grass was actually coming IN, altho its been warm here the grass is not growing yet!
It's also probably excitement as I rarely canter in company. So confusing as he was really alright two weeks ago and on the first canter today then... went mental?!

Mule

Visit site
Thanks, it's good to be able to air and discuss this with people who know what I'm talking about!
I don't like bad-mannered horses and am quite strict with stuff like this - the riding school ponies are bad for snatching grass when they ever have to stop and stand and I always swore I'd not let it happen if I got a loan/my own!
I will definately look into the daisy reins - my pc dc friend suggested the old baler twine trick but I would rather have something that will clip on and off easily.
I would understand the tanking thing, and the grass, if the grass was actually coming IN, altho its been warm here the grass is not growing yet!
It's also probably excitement as I rarely canter in company. So confusing as he was really alright two weeks ago and on the first canter today then... went mental?!
Unless it was just the mood he was in today. Mabey he was just more energetic than he was two weeks ago. It's really hard to know with them. It does sound like excitement though.

My horse's co-owner drives me mad sometimes. He lets the horse do whatever he wants and his ground manners have really deteriorated as a result. The horse is 16.1" or 16. 2" and part Irish draught so he's really strong and really needs to have good manners for safety's sake. He's got a big strong neck as well since we've being doing dressage :D

I do ground work to get him to behave again but his other owner doesn't reinforce it so the horse naturally think he's allowed do these things.
His co-owner is family though so I have to compromise to avoid rows.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I was looking but unfortunately can't find the advert. A few weeks ago I saw a device being sold to stop ponies eating when being ridden which looked a bit like a muzzle put on over the bridle. That might be an idea but the cure is more schooling for the horse and learning to be a stronger and more confident rider. Daisy reins are a stop gap too.

By the way, if you use daisy reins you may also need a crupper. If he pulls strongly against them he might otherwise pull the saddle up his neck!

Chappie

Visit site
Unless it was just the mood he was in today. Mabey he was just more energetic than he was two weeks ago. It's really hard to know with them. It does sound like excitement though.

My horse's co-owner drives me mad sometimes. He lets the horse do whatever he wants and his ground manners have really deteriorated as a result. The horse is 16.1" or 16. 2" and part Irish draught so he's really strong and really needs to have good manners for safety's sake. He's got a big strong neck as well since we've being doing dressage :D

I do ground work to get him to behave again but his other owner doesn't reinforce it so the horse naturally think he's allowed do these things.
His co-owner is family though so I have to compromise to avoid rows.

You could be right, spring was defo in the air today - in fact the big eedjit managed to get out the stable while I was mucking out and proceeded to run down the pathway into the neighbour's garden, cantered round their drive and try to get into their chicken coop! This is not like him! Normally calmly munching breakfast hay!

I took him on 2 walk and trot hour rides in the morning before the canter and thought with it being so warm he would chill out. No!

Know what you mean there - it's certainly difficult at times sharing a horse, altho can be great as well - and you definately need the big ones onside! Manners are everything!

Mule

Visit site
You could be right, spring was defo in the air today - in fact the big eedjit managed to get out the stable while I was mucking out and proceeded to run down the pathway into the neighbour's garden, cantered round their drive and try to get into their chicken coop! This is not like him! Normally calmly munching breakfast hay!
:D He sounds like a character.

Chappie

Visit site
I was looking but unfortunately can't find the advert. A few weeks ago I saw a device being sold to stop ponies eating when being ridden which looked a bit like a muzzle put on over the bridle. That might be an idea but the cure is more schooling for the horse and learning to be a stronger and more confident rider. Daisy reins are a stop gap too.

By the way, if you use daisy reins you may also need a crupper. If he pulls strongly against them he might otherwise pull the saddle up his neck!

Thank you, that was nice of you to look for the ad - I'll have a look on google.
Yes think you're right, its getting him to listen to me - perhaps I wrongly assumed as he was hacking out alone, I now had him "onside" with me - but judging by today, he was like "I'm gonna do what I want!"

I was glad I never came off today and never let him get any grass - how I stayed on I don't know!

Thanks I will look into the crupper if ordering the daisy rein.

pippixox

Visit site
Sorry if you said the answer to some of this as I did read your posts but very quickly!
It ultimately sounds like a tactic to avoid canter. But the issue is ensuring it isn’t a issue that needs treatment?

How is he to canter in the school? Are transitions easy? He may struggle to fly into canter and go to grass as an opt out (like how some horses buck-more normal!)

Once you get his head up and push on does he then canter with the others? My friends horse would buck at the start of canters on hacks and if she wasn’t stopped before she started (by sitting up and basically giving her a boot) she was continue to bronk for a while. Stopped and pushed on she was fine

It must be so frustrating. But it does sound like you have achieved a lot with him, especially as you can’t do all his handling so he can play on it and be inconsistent

be positive

Visit site

I took him on 2 walk and trot hour rides in the morning before the canter and thought with it being so warm he would chill out. No!

Know what you mean there - it's certainly difficult at times sharing a horse, altho can be great as well - and you definately need the big ones onside! Manners are everything!

A few more questions, you mention weekend riding and that he gets very little turnout does that mean he is not ridden during the week and is shut in almost 24/7?
If so doing 2 walk trot rides then a 3rd ride on one day may be pushing it if he is not ridden all week especially if he did not get any time to eat hay in between rides, making a bid for freedom could be his way of telling you he is fed up with being shut in, the yard does not sound suitable but if you have no option to move him could you take him out twice a day for grazing in hand, it will not solve your issue but may make life better for him.
You mention not knowing any freelance instructors but if it is a RS surely they have instructors doing lessons that you could join in with or have a private lesson at a quieter time.

At 18 he may well be starting to show signs of wear and tear and living in 24/7 is not ideal for any horse as you are aware so it may be time to speak to his owners to see if they would consider moving to a more suitable yard or taking him on as a full loan so you can move him if that is an option, it is very hard to make changes when you are not in full control.

Chappie

Visit site
Sorry if you said the answer to some of this as I did read your posts but very quickly!
It ultimately sounds like a tactic to avoid canter. But the issue is ensuring it isn’t a issue that needs treatment?

How is he to canter in the school? Are transitions easy? He may struggle to fly into canter and go to grass as an opt out (like how some horses buck-more normal!)

Once you get his head up and push on does he then canter with the others? My friends horse would buck at the start of canters on hacks and if she wasn’t stopped before she started (by sitting up and basically giving her a boot) she was continue to bronk for a while. Stopped and pushed on she was fine

It must be so frustrating. But it does sound like you have achieved a lot with him, especially as you can’t do all his handling so he can play on it and be inconsistent

Hi sorry for long delay in replying, I've been at the yard all day and just back in.
To answer your questions:
Yes I'm concerned there is something wrong with his health. He stretches down a LOT but the saddle fitter and oesteopath say he's well. So why does he do it? Stiff muscles? Arthritis in neck?
I have RSI in my shoulder and get a sore back too so I'd dread to think he feels like I do.
On the other hand why does he do some canters perfectly fine (on tracks with no grass) then on others go mental? I really do think its a combination of my riding (he senses weakness) and ingrained behavior and less than ideal (but trying to make the best of it) management.
I really struggle to get him to canter or even trot in the school. He hates the school! I keep it very short! Im trying to aim for literally one circuit of WTC on both reins then come out. In the past ive done in hand stuff and poles/ cones/drums/small jumps to make it more interesting. Some days he's engaged other days its like, "NO!" School is quite sloping and deep going at bottom but basically he just hates it, as do most/all of the cobs at the yard.

When I got his head up he took off after the others at a horrible frightening head-low flat out gallop but kept trying to slam on brakes to snatch grass.

I'm pretty much the only person who rides and handles the horse for the last 3.5 years (apart from yard staff) but the owners have in that time occasionaly hacked him and did let him eat. But this was a while ago now.

I spoke with my YO today who has known him 8 years. She's old school! Been in the business over 40 years, seen a lot, done a lot. Called him a choice description and told me to stick to walk and trot for now!
One of the older teenagers who works at yard and is an amazing rider has very kindly offered to go out with us when the evenings get lighter so we can do some short canters rather than a long run.
Also the owner came down and we rode out with his other horse so I got him out on a good quiet 1.5hr hack in mostly walk.
They are aiming to buy a property with land and move their horses there so they would live out with a shelter/stables they can use if needed. That would be better, especially for their old age. It's just a problem getting a suitable place. I would still help out and be allowed to ride but it's going to depend on available hacking and how easy it will be to get to the property.

Thinking it over day and it's not the end of the world just mostly walking and trotting. As long as the horses gets plenty exercise - he doesn't need to canter in a group.
I'm also going to book the oesteopath on her next visit and talk some more with her.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Cobs especially can be absolute blighters if they dont get enough (or any turnout) and exercise and would most certainly throw in a few impressive moves when asked to canter with a group of others ahead of them. The excitement could well cause them to totally ignore rider on board, or if they feel rider on board is tensing up and trying to slow them down they might well try and evict you without notice.

I am wondering if this is less that he is snatching at grass but more that he is putting in a deliberate dirty stops and shoulder down to get you off so he can gallop on ahead and do his own thing with his mates? I have to say the owners don;t sound as though they have helped with his manners but you are stuck with what he is and have to work with that.

It is a great pity that you cant enjoy some fun hacks out without others at a faster pace because of this - I would definitely be taking your teenage riders very kind offer and hacking him out as much as you can with her and doing short sharp bursts of speed and practicing not tensing up and relaxing more so he doesn't feel you are blocking him.

he sounds a real character and just my sort lol! But he does need some manners I think but he is very lucky to have you - some sharers just wouldn't bother with him - good luck (y)

Chappie

Visit site
A few more questions, you mention weekend riding and that he gets very little turnout does that mean he is not ridden during the week and is shut in almost 24/7?
If so doing 2 walk trot rides then a 3rd ride on one day may be pushing it if he is not ridden all week especially if he did not get any time to eat hay in between rides, making a bid for freedom could be his way of telling you he is fed up with being shut in, the yard does not sound suitable but if you have no option to move him could you take him out twice a day for grazing in hand, it will not solve your issue but may make life better for him.
You mention not knowing any freelance instructors but if it is a RS surely they have instructors doing lessons that you could join in with or have a private lesson at a quieter time.

At 18 he may well be starting to show signs of wear and tear and living in 24/7 is not ideal for any horse as you are aware so it may be time to speak to his owners to see if they would consider moving to a more suitable yard or taking him on as a full loan so you can move him if that is an option, it is very hard to make changes when you are not in full control.

Yes I'm afraid he gets turnout 2 days a week minimum and maybe 4 maximum but it's mainly 2. There's a lot of pressure to exercise. Over 95% of liveries at the yard are children so they ride after school and in holidays. He was a child's pony before I was offered the loan. As soon as it's light in evenings I will be aiming to get him out every day he's not been turned out. There's lights in the school but neighbours won't allow them on after 730pm. Also he hates the school and is afraid even in the lights - shadows etc. The area is exposed and we often get bad weather/strong wind where we are - quite far north in UK. A floodlit school is not what he knows, he's a happy hacker type. I'm also alone at the yard in evenings.
There's a small turnout field we can use which is very muddy but good for rolling and letting off some energy and grooming and playing with other horses - it does have some grass to pick at from spring to autumn. So in lighter evenings can sometimes use that.
I leave home at 8am and work long hours in a stressful demanding job - don't get home till 6pm earliest and often 7pm. I go to the yard and muck out, feed, give a large haynet of hay (which I buy myself, additional to daily rations included in livery) clean the drinker and pick out his feet and change rugs if needed. I also check over 40 stabled and field horses and lock up the property for the YO. All in this takes 1.5 to 2 hours a night. Then I have other pets at home to care for, housework etc. I have a lot on my schedule!

On the day in question I took him on a very slow walk at 10am (finished breakfast hay by 930) a quicker walk & trot at 11pm then there was a break of about an hour where I gave him a small bundle of hay but yes you have a good point I should have given him more - he generally likes to work in the morning and sees 1pm as feed and hay time. As soon as we got back at 2 he got large ration of hay and his feed when he had cooled down enough.
I rarely graze in hand as he gets very strong and aggressive. Ther's just some lanes nearby and I don't like the look of the grass. Instead once the grass comes in I get a scissors and a large trug and wander quite far and wide (!) to hedgerows and areas of ground I know are safe to take grass from and pick it and bring it back for him.

Yes its is a RS but its really for children and beginners to learn basics so I won't be able to get lessons unless I found a freelancer. I'm also trying to set money aside for a car - I dont presently have one - as the owners are planning on buying a property with land and moving the horses there - they are having problems finding somewhere suitable but think they are stepping up the search. They want me to still be involved and help out in return for riding and keeping in contact with the horses. It will depend on the available hacking and how difficult it would be to get there - it may end up being very rural - I live very near the yard now but they don't. I want the horses to have as best a life they can and a good secure retirement - it will be very different to what I do now but can only wait and see what happens. There really aren't many yards in our area let alone a suitable one so moving to another one is not what the owners want to do.

Chappie

Visit site
Cobs especially can be absolute blighters if they dont get enough (or any turnout) and exercise and would most certainly throw in a few impressive moves when asked to canter with a group of others ahead of them. The excitement could well cause them to totally ignore rider on board, or if they feel rider on board is tensing up and trying to slow them down they might well try and evict you without notice.

I am wondering if this is less that he is snatching at grass but more that he is putting in a deliberate dirty stops and shoulder down to get you off so he can gallop on ahead and do his own thing with his mates? I have to say the owners don;t sound as though they have helped with his manners but you are stuck with what he is and have to work with that.

It is a great pity that you cant enjoy some fun hacks out without others at a faster pace because of this - I would definitely be taking your teenage riders very kind offer and hacking him out as much as you can with her and doing short sharp bursts of speed and practicing not tensing up and relaxing more so he doesn't feel you are blocking him.

he sounds a real character and just my sort lol! But he does need some manners I think but he is very lucky to have you - some sharers just wouldn't bother with him - good luck (y)

Your reply did make me laugh! Especially as I've calmed down a bit today and looking at it more retrospectively!
Madness really to attempt that canter - as I said yesterday I thought we had an "understanding" by now - NO! He's a horse! He's a cob! You're right! He wants grass and to rush about with his friends on a mild spring day! And I need to learn if my YO says I'm being 'brave', it translates as she wouldn't do it!
I will be offering the girl some payment for accompanying me as I'm sure she'd appreciate it.
In the meantime sticking with walk and trot and going to focus on getting back out alone in the spring as it went so well last year.
Going to organise to see the oesteopath again too.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just to make you feel a bit better about this. One day on a hack, my Draft mare, who had previously worked in a RS doing RDA, and could be very strong, slipped on a grass bank and landed on her knees. We were both fine, the grass was springy and cushioned her, I stayed on top she was rather surprised to find her chin just above the grass but soon recovered enough to grab a couple of mouthfuls of grass before standing back up. Most horses would have been rushing to stand up but not her!:rolleyes:

It is just how these big horses are made, they will take any and every opportunity to eat, no matter what else is going on around them. It sounds to me as if he is pulling his head down for some reason (probably discomfort) and then takes the opportunity to eat while his head is in the right place to do so. I would be wary of daisy reins until you have had his neck and poll checked out by a vet.

Chappie

Visit site
Just to make you feel a bit better about this. One day on a hack, my Draft mare, who had previously worked in a RS doing RDA, and could be very strong, slipped on a grass bank and landed on her knees. We were both fine, the grass was springy and cushioned her, I stayed on top she was rather surprised to find her chin just above the grass but soon recovered enough to grab a couple of mouthfuls of grass before standing back up. Most horses would have been rushing to stand up but not her!:rolleyes:

It is just how these big horses are made, they will take any and every opportunity to eat, no matter what else is going on around them. It sounds to me as if he is pulling his head down for some reason (probably discomfort) and then takes the opportunity to eat while his head is in the right place to do so. I would be wary of daisy reins until you have had his neck and poll checked out by a vet.

Ha ha your mare sounds awesome! Glad you were both ok after that.

Yes I'm not going to put anything restrictive on him for now. Going to book oesteo again. But getting vet to check is going to be difficult. Stressed with whole situation - everything - can't explain all here, obvs.
Won't be group cantering again, that's for sure, it's not worth the risk.

Last edited:

Chappie

Visit site
Sorry edited as phone battery gave out half way through reply there so had to start again! :D

Last edited:

puppystitch

Visit site
It's hard to tell, but it sounds as if he doesn't get out of his stable much. You say he has a big strong neck because you've been doing dressage, but also that you only do a couple of laps of the school then leave, so it could be a combination of not being strong enough to balance himself in the canter, (especially if you're a bit tense), and being a bit cheeky with excess energy. Assuming all health issues have been ruled out the ideal would be to build up his strength and balance in the school - is there one you could hack to / hire out? Ideally on a surface / not grass that he might try to eat!

If he does take a pull, try to make sure your shoulders are behind your hips so that all he does is pull you deeper into the saddle, rather than tipping you forward and out the front door. Tricky in canter I know, but if it's only at the start of the canter it should be manageable.

Chappie

Visit site
It's hard to tell, but it sounds as if he doesn't get out of his stable much. You say he has a big strong neck because you've been doing dressage, but also that you only do a couple of laps of the school then leave, so it could be a combination of not being strong enough to balance himself in the canter, (especially if you're a bit tense), and being a bit cheeky with excess energy. Assuming all health issues have been ruled out the ideal would be to build up his strength and balance in the school - is there one you could hack to / hire out? Ideally on a surface / not grass that he might try to eat!

If he does take a pull, try to make sure your shoulders are behind your hips so that all he does is pull you deeper into the saddle, rather than tipping you forward and out the front door. Tricky in canter I know, but if it's only at the start of the canter it should be manageable.

Yes its partly a management issue which I can't change at the moment :( I'm not doing dressage, that was another forum member - I'm trying a little work in the school but keep it short as he doesn't like it.
Thanks for advice on shoulders, will try that when I do my short canters with the girl who offered to help me. Going to forget about group canters though as it's not worth the risk.