Stopping to paw whilst hacking

Frisket

Visit site
Hi!

I've had my conn x cob type pony for about 3-4 months now. He's five years old.

Occasionally whilst out hacking with another horse, he will start to snatch at the bit sometimes or else stop and paw the ground. Typically this happens on the way back, though once he did just randomly start doing it half way through a hack.

He only does this when out with another horse - I do typically ride in the back because he has quite a fast walk and I am forever leaving the other behind. He has never been anything but a dream out on hacks alone.

I don't really want to put him in front when hacking home as I don't want to teach him to rush home.

Could the pawing be from frustration that he's not in the front or wanting to get home faster?

It's just strange he doesn't do it when I ride alone?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine sometimes paws, always when stationary, always on the way home and always when he has had to wait longer then he'd like.

He used to be very homeward bound (and nappy to go out) so I figure it's just a hang up from this.

I tend to just ignore it, he's so good to hack otherwise I figure why cause a fuss, personally.

Edited: Changed type from happy to nappy.

Last edited:

Frisket

Visit site
Mine sometimes paws, always when stationary, always on the way home and always when he has had to wait longer then he'd like.

He used to be very homeward bound (and happy to go) so I figure it's just a hang up from this.

I tend to just ignore it, he's so good to hack otherwise I figure why cause a fuss, personally.

What's weird with mine is that it's not just while stationary (tho he does paw whilst forced to wait for the others if I am in front or similar, I understand that as impatience) - he will literally stop to paw the ground whilst walking back. He's happier if we trot. I just don't understand what he's trying to tell me!

Nasicus

Visit site
Sounds frustrated to me, I had a youngster that would do the same when things weren't going how she wanted them to, either paw or slap the ground with a front hoof. I just ignored it and continued as I meant to, and she mostly grew out of it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Are you having to hold him back behind the other horse? If so it is probably frustration, he will just have to get over himself! Perhaps, if you are in a suitable place you could do a bit of lateral work to keep him thinking while he is at the back.

Frisket

Visit site
Are you having to hold him back behind the other horse? If so it is probably frustration, he will just have to get over himself! Perhaps, if you are in a suitable place you could do a bit of lateral work to keep him thinking while he is at the back.
TBF he doesn't try and play up if we do trot back and the mare I normally ride out with is slower than my boy so it could very well be frustration at the walking pace! That's an excellent idea thanks so much!