Storing items in stable

Helga1980

Visit site
Do any of you keep things in the stable while your horse is in?

A number of the people on our yard keep spare rugs in the hay rack or on a rail at the back of the stable, or else keep a grooming box (one with a lid) in the front corner of the stable.

Does anyone else do this? Is it dangerous? I'm not sure what I think about it.

dixie

Visit site
Feed bowl & bucket !!

For one horse I keep his rugs over some rope but my other horse nothing else because he likes to throw them to the floor and stamp all over them.

Wouldn't keep a grooming box, in case they got into it and tried to eat something though.

Tempi

Visit site
All Bloss's rugs go in our rug area as otherwise she throws them around the place!! I keep whips/grooming box in her stable in one corner. Theres no way possible she could 'get into' her grooming box as its one of those 'step' ones - i do find over the otherside of the stable tho sometimes, ive seen her pick it up with her teeth and drop it then kick it!!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
I keep rugs on a rail in each stable and also a grooming box in my young mares stables. I cant leave anything else in Stars stable or else its all over the floor in the morning - shes even had a locked box open and the contents all over lol
smile.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
There isn't any spare room in my stable for anything other than my horse, her feed and water buckets, and a haynet! Plus, she's wreck anything I did put in there...

JessPickle

Visit site
Used to put a few rugs in my stable and random other pieces of stuff I used to forget i left in there once accidentally left my riding hat left round one of the bar bits!
blush.gif
, then the roof started leaking so took them all out! some horses though are terrible with rugs in stables we had one who would pull them down then lie on them and [****] and wee on them so obviously they no longer have them in the stable, if you have other options I wouldnt put them in my stable.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
I have a tough-truck grooming box - it's one from b&q - you can stand on it - ideal for plaiting up etc - and it's on wheels - bonus when you're going anywhere!
smile.gif
That lives in H's stable along with her "toilet" which is a skip bucket which is always to hand as she pee's and poo's on comand!
She's never touched either - and there are skipping out gloves ontop of the grooming box too - oh and then there are her two toys - a snackball and a lickit ball
smile.gif

Kate x

muffinino

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse. I keep rugs in the hay rack as I don't use it for hay. If I put a box in there Titan would have a look but once he realised there was no food in there he'd leave it alone. At HOYS when I was a scurry groom we left the tools in with an experinced pair who were unlikely to do anything or panic. Wouldn't leave stuff in with a youngster or nervous horse. Though one girl on our yard has loads of stuff in with her 19yo, including a writing bureau for storage!

Kelly1982

Visit site
With Trike i used to keep rugs on a line in his stable and his suncream on the ledge and he never touched it.

Senza is a totally different kettle of fish and anything left in her stable for more than 5 mins will be destroyed!! Apart from if you give her a lick-it of some other funky toy and then she wont touch it
mad.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
I leave a few rugs in there but when he is in for more than a few hours I dont leave anything else in there incase he hurts himself (im a very paranoid mum), im lucky though I have a nice back room in my stable which has loads of space for everything, tack, feed bins, shelves the lot
smile.gif

SSM

Visit site
With the exception of water, haynet, lickit and salt lick I would not dare leave anything else in her stable, every morning when I put her rug on the door she picks it up and shakes it - same with grooming kit, straight in the mouth and then tossed across the yard (think she is trying to tell me something?)

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks all, have eased some worries. Previous yards have always had plenty of storage but the new one is a bit tight for space so I may have to resort to rugs in stable!