Storing ladder in stable

flying_high

Visit site
I have a stable with high eves storage on a livery yard. I cannot reach the height easily, but it is a useful storage space. My horse cant reach it either. I want to access it daily. I have a spare folding ladder. It being livery I cannot leave this outside stable.

I was thinking about getting some square safety storage hooks and hanging ladder horizontally close to the ceiling on the stable wall at the back. What do we think? I think it would be too high to be a toy for horse, and he's very unlikely to pull it down / get injured by it. Because of the style of the hooks, and the fact there are 3 hooks, he'd need to lift it and pull it over the lip of each hook to get it off the wall.

It is also above his rug rails, and higher than I think he'd be interested in, above his line of vision. He's not inclined to pull rugs off rails though he is playful with things at the front of stable / toys / things on strings.

I think my fear is a folding ladder on the floor is obviously dangerous to a panicked horse in a stable, in terms of putting legs in it. Does that make it a silly idea? Thoughts.

atropa

Visit site
I wouldn't risk it unless you were absolutely certain that he couldn't reach. I store rugs on hooks in my mare's stable and 9 times out of 10 she leaves them alone but some days I do come up to her having knocked one down. I'd hate to think of a metal folding ladder coming down on top of her or for her to catch her legs on.
Could you store the ladder in your tack room or feed store instead?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have 2 horses that would ignore such a thing and one that would think it was great sport to try and get as tangled up as possible.
Because of the experiences I've had with the troublemaker it would be a no for me.

flying_high

Visit site
I wouldn't risk it unless you were absolutely certain that he couldn't reach. I store rugs on hooks in my mare's stable and 9 times out of 10 she leaves them alone but some days I do come up to her having knocked one down. I'd hate to think of a metal folding ladder coming down on top of her or for her to catch her legs on.
Could you store the ladder in your tack room or feed store instead?

The tack room is too far away to heft a ladder everytime I want to get something down. The feedroom isn't allowed.

Re not being able to read. He'd have to put his nose above his ears to try and reach but it is theoretically reachable if he put his nose as high as possible.